Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > Suggestion Box

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Suggestion Box Forum Requests | Site Mods | General Suggestions

Unread 05-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Arrow What do you want out of this site?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve this site and make it not only better for the people currently registered here, but also more attractive for any visitor to get them to join in with us. So what do you think would help in those directions? Something you would like to see added? Something here you think should be removed? Any changes or rearranging needing to be done to make things more attractive or easier to use?

This site is for all of YOU, as I am only the caretaker. I did ask about a product review section earlier, but I didn't get any response on it. So let me expand on that a bit. This would not be just a regular run of the mill product review like you may have seen elsewhere. This would be in line with what this site is all about. Not only hard products for your vette, but also reviewing events and places in Florida that people may have some experience and feedback about that they would like to share in an easily viewable format. Is there a particular local tuner or repair shop you like and would like to let people know about? This would easily fit the criteria I am considering. What's your favorite Florida vacation spot? Best place to go snorkeling or diving? Favorite restaurant? Those kinds of things......

You see, this site isn't all just about Corvettes. It's also about Florida, and I want to emphasize that fact.

What about putting in moderators for sections where they can be an "expert on duty"? In particular tuning seems to be a topic I find intimidating yet nearly everyone seems to want to address this issue at one time or another. Maybe having a tuning section with a local expert would be beneficial?

I am currently installing the review script on one of my other sites so I can check out the mechanics of using it. From there, if I find it is suitable for what I want, and it appears that people here will find it useful, then I will install a copy here for you all to use.

Anyway, that's my plan on one mod (subject to being discarded if no one really wants it), so let me know if there is something else you think should be put into consideration.

Thanks.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Rich, A product review section is a great idea. It's very beneficial to hear from someone with 1st hand experience concerning a product or facility you're considering buying or having do work on your car. I also like the idea of moderators, if they're folks you can trust. You can't be everywhere yourself so having others to take some of the work load off of you is a good idea. You also said, I believe, that you had no problem with people posting racing results here. Maybe a forum specifically for that would be OK. I don't necessarily mean for street races since I don't thing it would be a good idea for the site to promote that but for drag strip, DE, or road race stuff.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Rich Z

Personally and officially, I don't believe that allowing a place for something to be discussed is actively promoting that activity. Just as the cops and robbers TV shows don't mean that the networks are promoting the activities portrayed in that medium.

Personally I find "kill stories" entertaining. And as such taken with a grain of salt as well.

As for the reviews section, I'll be looking at that on my other site and make a determination then whether I think it would be fitting here (also pending further feedback on the idea from other members).

Thanks.
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

A product review sounds good to me!

Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

I also like the idea of the review section. Keeping it general is nice. I liked your information about the sea food place you talked about .. Never know, one of us may be up there some day. And, if and when one of us tries a new product or has work done somewhere it's nice to report a "yea" or "nay" from the experience.
What about something like "off topic" or "random thoughts" or something like that where folks can talk about anything that's not necessarily related to corvettes or Florida? Again, something general and open?
2Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Personally and officially, I don't believe that allowing a place for something to be discussed is actively promoting that activity. Just as the cops and robbers TV shows don't mean that the networks are promoting the activities portrayed in that medium.

Personally I find "kill stories" entertaining. And as such taken with a grain of salt as well.

As for the reviews section, I'll be looking at that on my other site and make a determination then whether I think it would be fitting here (also pending further feedback on the idea from other members).

Thanks.
I like "kill" stories too. And the controversy over whether simply discussing something on an open forum constitutes promoting it is a subject for a later discussion. I guess what I meant was, how many news stories have there been about kids doing something dangerous or illegal after having seen it on TV? The same possibility exists here. Sorry to get off topic. A racing forum is still a good idea.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Vettes
What about something like "off topic" or "random thoughts" or something like that where folks can talk about anything that's not necessarily related to corvettes or Florida? Again, something general and open?
Well actually I had thought the Welcome Room could be used for that purpose. Matter of fact I believe Zach suggested that idea to me. Should I have a separate forum for that purpose?
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Well actually I had thought the Welcome Room could be used for that purpose. Matter of fact I believe Zach suggested that idea to me. Should I have a separate forum for that purpose?
Maybe. It's not a bad idea. Welcome room is a "Hi nice to meet you" area. Off topic could be "look what my cat gave me for a present today".
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
Rich Z

Well one of my fears when starting up this site was that I might overcomplicate it. Put in too many categories, forums, and subforums, where it would just be overwhelming for many people. Plus a site with 2,000 posts scattered over maybe 10 forums looks fairly well populated. The same number of posts scattered over 100 forums makes it look like a ghost town.

So when the numbers warrant it, yes, I can more finely tune things with the forums. But for now, from what I can see, nearly every thread will be going off topic anyway. That just happens that way when people get together and start shooting the breeze.

All in due time.........
Unread 05-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Product review is a great idea. Whether it be food or parts, it'd be nice to know what works and what doesn't, what fulfills it's claims, is a PITA to install or who does excellent work.

Restaurant, hotel and travel reviews as well are great. I love to hop in the vette and do a road trip, but it's nice to know what and where to avoid.

PIC, PIC, PIC!!! Include some of your trip if you can, the sights, accomodations, views, etc. Gives people a better idea what to expect.

Moderators are good as well. Just some folks to help keep the site in tact. Heavy handed tactics the likes of which occasionally appear elsewhere, should not be tolerated. Need to keep it light and friendly.

The liability of kill sections have been bantered around for years. Some say yes, some say no. If you want it, do it.

Just some thoughts.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote