The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

Unread 02-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #31
jpee
jpee

Name :
jpee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
A friend of mine is a retired cop in the NE. I can't say it's Jpee without his permission but this guy says he'll carry in NYC regardless. I have the right to be able to defend myself and if they ever pulled my license I'll renew my Mi license. This is kind of dumb so we must be bored cause this scenario isn't gonna happen anyway. It is a learning experience though regarding a "pat down". If I didn't know you I wouldn't believe it.

What was Rich's second question?

Never mind, I see it.
Bob...

There is a relatively new law (app 3 or 4 yrs old) "RETIRED" LEO can CARRY CONCEALED in ANY state as long as they "Qualify" in or at their former Police Dept.

I can shoot a 300 on the combat course 99% of the time, and I seldom carry here in Westchester County where I live, however "IF" I go to the city (NYC) you can bet your life I'm packing my Glock...

Ant to be perfectly "Honest" if I was in the city and saw a hold-up going down across the street, I grab my "CELL PHONE" NOT my Glock !

The only time I would ever pull my gun out is if "I" personally or my family was threatened!!

Just last yr I had the gun in my Vette and was stopped by a NJ State Trooped (85 on the GSP) .....

He asked for my license and reg.. I pulled out my license & ID, and remembered I had the gun in the console, & told him so... he said "No problem... just slow it down a little"

NJ is "supposed" to be one of the toughest states on carrying a canceled weapon....maybe I was lucky & met a easy going PO or maybe he knew the law....
jpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #32
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpee View Post
Bob...

however "IF" I go to the city (NYC) you can bet your life I'm packing my Glock...

The only time I would ever pull my gun out is if "I" personally or my family was threatened!!
Same conversation we had about 6 years ago John about the city. I do know the law was changed for you guys but that doesn't cover NYC right?

You know damn well why that officer cut you some slack. I think you guys call it professional courtesy.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #33
jpee
jpee

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
You know damn well why that officer cut you some slack. I think you guys call it professional courtesy.
Yes you hit the nail on the head... Thankfully I have been granted "Professional" courtesy when I was going a "few" MPH over the limit..
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #34
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Why are we doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Seriously, bud, WHO is it that writes their paychecks and gives them raises? And do you think they didn't incur favors to get that job in the first place? Get real, please. The "job for life" didn't make them untouchable if they screw their handlers.
Well, as a matter of fact, yes:

Quote:
Only one Supreme Court Justice, Samuel Chase (one of the signatories to the Declaration of Independence), has ever been impeached. The House of Representatives accused Chase of letting his Federalist political leanings affect his rulings, and served him with eight articles of impeachment in late 1804. The Senate acquitted him of all charges in 1805, establishing the right of the judiciary to independent opinion. Chase continued on the Court until his death in June 1811.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_US_S...ed_from_office

Quote:
A search is a search, black and white. The Constitution and Bill of Rights does not give law enforcement exceptions to violate what it states. Matter of fact those documents were written SPECIFICALLY to try to protect the people from exactly these kinds of abuses. Not to say that I don't understand that the SCOTUS and the government in general have pretty nearly gutted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, but I'm STILL calling a "spade" a "spade" when I see it.
Semantically/theoretically, you're correct.
Realistically, in application, you're way off.
Sorry.

As for the consitution, although I support and believe in the constitution, and wish we were more in tuned to it as a nation, if it were not for such things as amendments, SCOTUS opinions, ruling and precedents, we'd still be living in the woods in a lot of aspects of our lives.
Some would be better, others not so.

Things change, life changes.
It's the way it is.
Need I say more?

Quote:
Dance around it all you want, but a pat down IS a search. What in the world else COULD it be except for a SEARCH for weapons? Just a casual friendly roadside groping by a VERY friendly LEO? OOh, whats that there in your pants, big guy? If it's not a hands on caressing in the way of greeting, then what the heck is someone doing running their hands up and down another's body?
Athough there's no need for , once again, you've missed the point.

Semantically, you're right. I've already said that.
It's the legal application that differs wildly between a frisk and a search.

Quote:
Yeah, I can certainly understand why a LEO would want to have this power and appreciate their position concerning their safety (but NOT to the extent that it gives them carte blanche to override all other considerations),
Quote:
however this sort of thing is just another brick in the paving of that good intentioned road to hell you are pointedly turning a blind eye to.
WTF are you talking about?

Terry has been around sine 1968, and it's no broader now than it was then
So how has that "paved the road to hell?

Quote:
I am sorry that your involvement in that career field has evidently affected your ability to see this objectively.
As you know, that's not the only thing I've done in life.

I've worked both sides of the fence.
I've seen the abuse of power by law enforcement both from an on scene perspective as well as through the courts.
I've been the recipient of some less than stellar, heavy handed "police work" and some outright sloppy and lazy public servants!

I've seen judges that didn't have the sack or the sense, to make a ruling or decision that needed to be made.
I've seen the back room deals between defense attorneys, the prosecution and the judges.

And I've seen first hand, the unscrupulous abuse of judicial rhetoric and procedure, used by some defense counsel (in criminal cases), to set thier client free

You know my position on police work (it's been spewed out here on many occasions).
Do it right or don't F'in do it at all.
Go find something else to do.

Don't play with the sysytem, Period!

And you also know my position on government.
It's out of control, abusive and needs to be reigned in.
I told you almost verbatim, what the state (DOAC) was going to do, and they did it
It's because I've dealt with these idiots.
They want $$$ nothing more and don't really want to be bothered with anything that's not likely to bring them "Glory" or publicity.

Finally, I'm no cherry!
What you see above my bald ass head, is not a f**king HALO, it's a GLARE!

So to suggest that I'm jaded, one sided, narrow minded, blind eyed, or somehow have the "inability to see this objectively" is somewhat insulting

Maybe it's your recent interactions with the state and law enforcement, that have somewhat jaded your opinion?

I'm no f**king Dr. Phil, but adding to that, your previously stated opinions an stated feelings about the constitution, and constitutionlism in general, and I think I understand your feelings and emotions on the matter.
In many cases, I agree

Again, the fact is, the ruling has been around 43 years with no real revisions other than to make it's usage more strict on the officers.

You refer to the Terry rule as "POWER."
It's not power, it's authority.

In my younger, less informed days, I held the same opions you do, that it's just a way around the constitution.
The more I read and learned, the more I understood.

I saw the abuses of the Terry Frisk and thier ramifications on the officers, thier cases, and the opinion itself, making it's use tighter.

What it does, is gives the officer the lawful ability or authority, to protect oneself from harm while trying to do the job he/she was hired by the taxpayers to do.
It protects the citizen against violations of thier rights against unreasonable searcha nd siezure, while giving the officer the ability to do a cursury search (there's that word again) to find weapons that may harm him.
It also protects the officer from unreasonable and unscrupulous allegations of abuse and civil rights violations, which may previously been made prior to Terry.

It's progress without oppression.

If you've read anything I've posted or linked, you'd realize that there's nothing about a Terry Frisk, that is Carte Blanche, or overrinding.
It's relatively narrow and confined.

It's a tool to be used lawfully, or lose the opportunity to use it at all.

The Law Enforcement community has over the years, lost several "tools" both physical and administrative, simply because some overzealous officer or agency, chose to use them outside the scope of thier intent or advertised purpose (remember the taser flashlight?)

These things really are watched pretty closely by many including the legal community and the several civil rights groups.

As an aside, I too am pretty strict where it concerns the protection and maintenance of our constitutional rights!
I've said that numerous times right here.

FWIW, I taught this subject to boarding teams during my stints with the Coast Guard.

In the testing phase, they had to articulate the difference between a search and a frisk, how, if and what evidence could be used as a result of each, and in the end, demonstrate both.

If they missed something on a search, we'd go back over and over it until they figured out what they were doing incorrectly.
Miss a weapon during a search and it can cost someone thier life!
I've missed a couple in 30 years and was lucky....very lucky!
I learned from those mistakes and went on to teach others.

F**k up and go outside the parameters while demonstrating the Terry Frisk, and you failed the course and had to reattend the entire course at a later date.
(meanwhile, you're assigned to shore duty, just what every mariner longs for)

Why?
Becasue it's that serious, that's why!

This is supposed to be a fun place. A place where we can aire our opinions and differences, chat and even argue, among friends, without the need for insults.

So, for the time being, I think I need to do what I suggest to you. I need some beach time.

I think I'm going to take my narrow minded ass the f**k out of here for a while. I've already said too much anyway and I like what I do as a moderator, and I don't like watching friends go after friends

F**k it!
I'm going to finish my business work and start planning a Keys or Panhandle trip! (most likely the Keys)

Gordon

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #35
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Before I take leave..... back John
Good to have you back on board with us

Quote:
Bob...

There is a relatively new law (app 3 or 4 yrs old) "RETIRED" LEO can CARRY CONCEALED in ANY state as long as they "Qualify" in or at their former Police Dept.

I can shoot a 300 on the combat course 99% of the time, and I seldom carry here in Westchester County where I live, however "IF" I go to the city (NYC) you can bet your life I'm packing my Glock...

Ant to be perfectly "Honest" if I was in the city and saw a hold-up going down across the street, I grab my "CELL PHONE" NOT my Glock !

Just last yr I had the gun in my Vette and was stopped by a NJ State Trooped (85 on the GSP) .....

He asked for my license and reg.. I pulled out my license & ID, and remembered I had the gun in the console, & told him so... he said "No problem... just slow it down a little"

NJ is "supposed" to be one of the toughest states on carrying a canceled weapon....maybe I was lucky & met a easy going PO or maybe he knew the law....
That's HR218.

And I'm with you on the respose.
About the only time I'd reveal I was carrying, is if myself, a family member, another innocent, or a LEO was about to be killed or seriously injured. Then I'd take my chances.
The rest of the time, it's Sprint and 911

Quote:
Yes you hit the nail on the head... Thankfully I have been granted "Professional" courtesy when I was going a "few" MPH over the limit..
I've had the same courtesy provided me when I got popped by FHP doing a little over 90+ and still accellerating

Was on 75 N. bound headed for my cousins funeral and running late.
Passing a string of tractor trailers and I hate being caught for extened periods next to them (Seen the results of a catastrophic tire failure....not pretty)

Still no reason for it, I was just in a hurry.
Had the 00 Z28, LS package, and jsut not thinking straight (this was my closest cousin in age and very dear to me).

Just as I passed the last truck, I saw the trooper on the side of the hill next to the overpass.

JUst started slowing down and pulled over so he wouldn't have to chase me

He was very courteous, asked if I knew how fast I was going?
My response?

Too damned fast or you wouldn't be standing in my window, right?

He'd seen the star on my window and asked that I step to the back of the car.

He went through all the which agency, etc, then asked "can you do me a favor?"
(I figured short of a blow job, WTH) and I responded:
"slow down?"

Trooper: "That'd be it. Have a safe trip and thanks for your service."

Professional courtesy is not dead

Welcome back

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

He was very courteous
I did the exact same thing Gordon. I was driving a friends Z06 and he was riding with me. The trooper coming at me was behind a semi so he nailed me doing 80 in a 60. I just pulled over when I saw him hit his brakes. He came back, walked up to the car and said thanks for not making him chase me. I gave him the paperwork, he went back to his car and I knew I was getting a ticket.

He cited me for failure to provide proof of insurance, which he didn't ask for. He told me to take the proof of insurance to DMV and that would cancel the ticket. I have never had a bad encounter with a cop except for a prick back in 1970. I've had a few tickets and I earned all of them.
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #37
jpee
jpee

Name :

I have a video that is very graphic, I can't find it now but it SHOWS why a "Good Search" is a necessisty... in the meantime.. I'll inject a little humor...

You know you are a cop if:

1) You have the bladder capacity of five people.

2) You have ever restrained someone & it was not a sexual experience.

3) You believe that 50% of people are a waste of good air.

4) Your idea of a good time is a "man with a gun" call.

5) You conduct a criminal record check on anyone who seems friendly towards you.

6) You believe in the aerial spraying of Prozac & birth control pills.

7) You disbelieve 90% of what you hear & 75% of what you see.

8) You have your weekends off planned for a year.

9) You believe the government should require a permit to reproduce.

10) You refer to your favorite restaurant by the intersection at which it's located.

11) You have ever wanted to hold a seminar entitled: "Suicide...getting it right the first time."

12) You ever had to put the phone on hold before you begin laughing uncontrollably.

13) You think caffeine should be available in IV form.

14) You believe anyone who says, "I only had two beers" is going to blow more than a .15

15) You find out a lot about paranoia just by following people around.

16) Anyone has ever said to you, "There are people killing other people out there and you are here messing with me."

17) People flag you down on the street & ask you directions to strange places...and you know where they're located.

18) You can discuss where you are going to eat with your partner while standing over a dead body.

19) You are the only person introduced at social gatherings by profession.

(ISN'T THIS THE TRUTH)

20) You walk into places & people think it's high comedy to grab their buddy & shout, "They've come to get you, Bill."

21) You do not see daylight from November until May.

22) People shout, "I didn't do it!" when you walk into a room & think they're being hugely funny & original.

23) A week's worth of laundry consists of 5 T-shirts, 5 pairs of socks, & 5 pairs of underwear.

24) You've ever referred to Tuesday as "my weekend", or "this is my Friday".

25) You've ever written off guns & ammunition as a business deduction.

26) You believe that unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says, "Boy, it sure is quiet tonight."

27) Discussing dismemberment over a meal seems perfectly normal to you.

28) You find humor in other people's stupidity.

29) You have left more meals on the restaurant table than you've eaten.

30) You feel good when you hear, "these handcuffs are too tight".

..... or

A friend of mine who has a few cop friends sent me this....

I offer you my thanks and respect for serving as a policeman for 29 years. Like the military today being volunteers, so is the choice to be a cop. I have a number of very good friends who are or were in law enforcement. Here are the ones I have regarding police:

Bullet Proof vests aren't.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. They punch, kick and choke harder too.

Tear gas works on cops too, and regardless of wind direction, will always blow back in your face.

High speed chases will always proceed from an area of light traffic to an area of extremely heavy traffic.

If you know someone who tortures animals and wets the bed, he is either a serial killer or he works for Internal Affairs.

Placing a gun back in a shoulder holster with your finger on the trigger will cause you to walk with a limp.

Flash suppressors don't really.

If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.

If a cop swings a baton in a fight, he will hit other cops more often than he will hit the bad guys he swings at.

Domestic arguments will always migrate from an area of few available weapons (living room), to an area with many available weapons (kitchen).

If you have just punched out a handcuffed prisoner for spitting at you, you are about to become a star on `Eyewitness News'.

Bullets work on veteran cops too. They also work on weight lifters, martial arts experts, department marksmen, Narco Investigators, S.W.A.T. jocks, and others who consider themselves immortal.

When a civilian sees a red light approaching at a high rate of speed, he will always pull into the lane the cop needs to use.

If you drive your patrol car to the geometric center of the Gobi Desert, within five minutes some dumb civilian will pull along side you and ask for directions.

You can never drive slow enough to please the citizens who don't need a cop, and you can never drive fast enough to please the ones who do.

Any suspect with a rifle is a better shot than any cop with a pistol.

On any call, there will always be more `bad guys' than there are good guys, and the farther away your back-up, the more there will be.

The longer you've been a cop, the shorter your flashlight and your temper gets.

Whatever you are about to do, if there is a good chance it will get you killed, you probably shouldn't do it.

You should never do a shotgun search of a dark warehouse with a cop whose nickname is "Boomer."

The better you do your job, the more likely you are to be shot, injured, complained on, sued, investigated, or subpoenaed on your day off.

If a large group of drunk bikers are "holed-up" in a house, the Department will send one officer in a beat car. If there is one biker "holed-up" in a house, they will send the entire S. W. A. T. Team.

The likelihood that you are speaking to an undercover law enforcement officer, is directly proportional to the number of personal questions being asked of you.

Murphy's Laws of Police Work:
"The speed at which you respond to a fight call is inversely proportional to how long you've been a cop."

JPee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
Bob K
Deceased

John, you got me rolling on the floor. This is one of the best:

"If you have just punched out a handcuffed prisoner for spitting at you, you are about to become a star on `Eyewitness News'."
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #39
Bob K
Deceased

BTW, we're discussing Terry Frisk, not to be confused with a search.

Have you done your share of 'frisks'?
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #40
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Before I take leave..... back John
Good to have you back on board with us

That's HR218.

And I'm with you on the respose.
About the only time I'd reveal I was carrying, is if myself, a family member, another innocent, or a LEO was about to be killed or seriously injured. Then I'd take my chances.
The rest of the time, it's Sprint and 911

I've had the same courtesy provided me when I got popped by FHP doing a little over 90+ and still accellerating

Was on 75 N. bound headed for my cousins funeral and running late.
Passing a string of tractor trailers and I hate being caught for extened periods next to them (Seen the results of a catastrophic tire failure....not pretty)

Still no reason for it, I was just in a hurry.
Had the 00 Z28, LS package, and jsut not thinking straight (this was my closest cousin in age and very dear to me).

Just as I passed the last truck, I saw the trooper on the side of the hill next to the overpass.

He was very courteous, asked if I knew how fast I was going?
My response?

Too damned fast or you wouldn't be standing in my window, right?

He'd seen the star on my window and asked that I step to the back of the car.

He went through all the which agency, etc, then asked "can you do me a favor?"
(I figured short of a blow job, WTH) and I responded:
"slow down?"

Trooper: "That'd be it. Have a safe trip and thanks for your service."

Professional courtesy is not dead

Welcome back
Be that all that it may, if I or anyone else is just walking through a Wildlife Management District, the only reason I can fathom a LEO demanding to do a pat down (ie: a SEARCH for weapons) if I have not given him or her any overt reason to fear for their safety around me, is that the LEO is just being a bonafide prick about it and abusing their "authority" (power).

It is my OPINION that Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights was penned exactly for the reason of trying to prevent this sort of abuse from happening to the citizens of this country.

Perhaps we just lost sight of what this thread was originally about.....