The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 05-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Zach

Name :
Zach is on a distinguished road
Default How much of a pain?

How much of a pain is it to own a black car? I am still contemplating blue vs. black, but I'm just looking for a bit of insight. I'll be taking my Z06 out for at least 10 miles of driving (or so) a day...how often will I be washing it to keep her looking good?
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
c5inparadise

Name :
c5inparadise is on a distinguished road

I had a black truck and regretted having a black truck after 6 mos. I will never by a dark coloured vehicle again. Maintaining the paint was a nightmare. I traded my truck in for my artic white vette!!

c5inparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Zach

Name :
Zach is on a distinguished road

Hmm....I wonder if blue would require a considerable amount of less work to maintain than a black car.
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I loved my black Camaro SS, but damn, it was hard to take care of. Obviously looks better at night, but you can see all the flaws during the day.
Personally, I would go with blue if those are the two options.
Attached Images

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
c5inparadise

Name :
c5inparadise is on a distinguished road

I would guess to a lesser degree blue is not as difficult to maintain as black.
c5inparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

No doubt about it, black is the hardest color to maintain, but a washed, polished, and waxed black paint job looks better than most. With black, red, or blue, there is a lot of reflection and the beautiful lines of the Corvette really come alive. The look is liquid, nothing prettier. The lighter colors are easier to maintain , but don't have the reflectivity and depth of darker colors. It's a tradeoff I don't subscribe too. Look, a dirty car is a dirty car, no matter the color. I enjoy keeping my cars, old CJ7 included, looking good and knowing they're clean. Both are red but if they were white or another light color, I'd still want them clean and waxed. That way I know the paint is protected and looking good. Zach, if you're like me you will see the least amount of dirty and road film on your beautiful Corvette and want to clean it up ASAP. Both black or blue are gorgeous..........Tom
Attached Images

Last edited by exile; 05-09-2006 at 12:04 PM.
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I have the Electron Blue, and get a LOT of compliments on the color. Blue is just a real eye catcher, it seems.

But there are some negatives, such as I am sure you would see in a black finish as well. Rock chips on the hood are white and will drive you crazy. If you drive at all, you are going to get rock chips. I tried touch up paint on a couple of them and it looks like crap. Best thing I found to use was a blue colored fine tipped magic marker. It's not perfect, of course, but it does cover up the white chip marks very well.

I have a black Jeep Wrangler and the finish looked GREAT after washing and waxing it. But 15 minutes later, you can glaringly see the dust that has settled on it.

Bear in mind that you will see flaws and dust and stuff more easily then anyone else looking at your car. Most other people will see the TOTAL picture.

But honestly, there are few ways to spend your time more pleasurably then washing and waxing your Corvette........
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
FourG63 97GST

Name :
FourG63 97GST is on a distinguished road

this is my first black car, yea its a pain. you basically cant touch it or else it leaves fingerprints and smudges. luckily there's a car wash at my work so I run it through everyday/otherday.

but when its clean, its sex on wheels
but It will have to be cleaned atleast once a week. oh and dont park by sprinklers
FourG63 97GST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah man. One of the WORST things you can do is to get water on the finish and then have the sun beat down on it. Every bead of water becomes a magnifying lens that can burn an etch into your finish. Park your car outside and a sudden shower comes through in the early afternoon (like happens many summer days in Florida) and then the sun pops out, blazing away, 15 minutes later and you are screwed. Not to mention water sprinklers that come on at certain times of the day.

So between the burned etches and the mineral residue left from the evaporating water, it can leave you with a major mess on your hands.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Both tough colors, but I chose blue. It's my 2nd blue vette. The C4 I recently sold was Admiral blue. I had a black p/u truck in years past. Looks awesome when clean, and even better with blacked out windows and tire gel on the wheels, but what a PAIN!
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote