The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Paint & Body Work Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Paint & Body Work Forum For those people interested in the specifics of doing paint and body work repairs and/or enhancements.

Unread 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :
Flash man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolassbrad View Post
are you using ppg products humidity sucks for painting mathews paint makes a flex agent that can be bent into a complete circle its owned by ppg

Hi Brad,

Yes, the humidity sucks, but is not too bad today. I am using PPG products. I used Sem super flex agent. Sem is a good quality product. Take care.

Joe-Flash
Flash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady N View Post
What a good offer that is you can learn a lot from that procedure I advise anyone that can make it do it. Ill got the honey do project this saturday and leaving out of town sunday on business . Joe Im glad you down to the last stages on Big Bad Black Frankie

Hi Angel,

Yeah, I was down at my shop till 4:30am this morning. Tired. I shot the base, then on the last coat, I had a few drips out of the gun and screwed it up. Sanded it down a bit, then I had a low spot in the middle of the hood. Tried dry spraying to build and hide. Too many coats, no good. So, I could not clear it. Well the rest of the hood looks good, but I have to fix that spot.
Its pretty windy out now and they call for rain later today. If things calm down a bit, I will clear the hood tonight. Have a safe trip.

Joe-Flash
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hi Guys,

I just got done clearing the hood at 3:45pm. It came out pretty good. No fish eyes. I feel like I was just released from jail. I know I said I was not going to post until the car was done, but I just wanted to add a few pics of the end of painting. I just got done wet sanding the rear bumper and will install it this weekend. Talk later.

Joe - Flash
Attached Images

Unread 06-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I hate painting stuff in an open garage, I will always get a bug or dust or something will always end up under a coat of paint.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Awesome stuff. Looks like your just around the corner from me. When are we going to repaint mine? Seriously though, If I could rent your equipment and your supervision, I'm actually dying to repaint my truck myself. I just don't a place nor the equipment to do it.

What she looks like now.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hi,

I took my paint booth down. It was taking up too much room in my shop. If you want to paint the car yourself. I would consider renting a professional paint booth. There is a place called Rodgers business center on Starkey rd, just north of Ulmerton in Largo. He rents paint booths. All you will need is the paint supplies and a nice HVLP paint gun. I will help you out by teaching you what I know and learned.

Painting is the easy part. You will have many hours of body repair and sanding, blocking etc. Are you sure you really want to paint your truck?
Figure putting in around 150 or more hours on it if you want to do a good job. Its alot of work man. You can also find a body shop that will paint it at a reasonable price. This is the last vehicle that I will paint in my lifetime. I now can say I did it myself. Take care.

Joe - Flash man
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Pre paint prep is a pain. Filling and sanding and filling and....
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #18
shakedown067
Sinister C4

I don't mind putting the man hours into it. I've already done a good bit of sanding on the truck so I pretty much know what I'm in for. I'm like you, I know I'm not going to want to do it again, but I'd really like to do it once just to say...I DID THAT!

I live right by that business center, just behind the sonic around the corner. I'll have to stop by soon to see what it's going to take to rent a booth. Does he rent them by the month? It'd probably take me a couple of months to complete the body work.

I won't touch the vette though. I'll be taking it to a shop to have it painted. If my truck comes out HALF as good as your vette...I'd be pretty stoked. I'll certainly have to hit you up if this becomes a reality. Thanks for the info.
Unread 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hi,

Well, this is the weird part of this spray booth rental. He works with tokens like a car wash. It cost 12 bucks for 30 minutes. You get the tokens from the owner. So, I guess you have to be ready to paint it, when you rent it. I think thats is putting too much pressure on me. I like to take my time and get it right. That is why I did not rent it. You can rent a work shop out for a few months and paint it there. If you want to stop by and see the car in person. I own Flash Auto Detail Products. I have a store at 11311 Starkey Rd in Largo. Just north of Bryan Dairy rd. Mission Plaza. I will be working on the car all day today. Maybe tomorrow. Take care.

Joe - Flash
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Man I so wanted to stop by yesterday...my dumb a$$ ended up with a hangover (why is it always so much fun the night before) and didn't even get my loser butt off the couch till 2:00pm. I'd stop by today, but I have a big project to finish up at work. Maybe if I get out at a decent time I'll get to stop by...but I doubt it. Thanks for the offer!