The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 04-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Default When will I learn?

Attended the "Vettes at the Port" entrants choice show this weekend at Cape Canaveral. A lot of you know how I keep my '86 and it has won it's share of judged shows but Cape Kennedy Corvette Club had some really neat trophies (wooden shuttles) and I thought maybe a second or third place? Great weather, good turn out and quite a few friends there. I was the first one there and as my competition pulled in, I looked them over. Not much competition, I thought until "he" pulled in. Raised his hood and chrome city popped out!!! Should be in Custom class, but no Custom class! Well, there goes 1st. place. "Baby" has 208/k miles on her and should receive some sympathy votes? Awards time and we didn't even get a third!!! Lunch was good tho............

That's it, no more peoples choice, entrants choice; only judged from now on. I don't care if Playboy bunnies are the trophy..... no more!

Kap got a third!

Last edited by Pres712; 10-25-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

pres, 'bout time you adopted my philosophy..............
"I've got a completely stock 2000, and the only reason I enter judged shows is to get a really great parking space." I spend my time looking at all of the cars there, and leave with as many trophies as I had when I went there.............none! On the plus side, you can't beat Florida for car show sites! There are some really great locations that have top shelf shows and it's always a pleasure to attend and see friends again. At least thats my 2 cents worth. Gotta admit that one of those trophies/awards would be a really cool addition to anyones display case though.......... Congrats to Ken on his win!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
"I've got a completely stock 2000, and the only reason I enter judged shows is to get a really great parking space." I spend my time looking at all of the cars there, and leave with as many trophies as I had when I went there.............none! On the plus side, you can't beat Florida for car show sites! There are some really great locations that have top shelf shows and it's always a pleasure to attend and see friends again. At least thats my 2 cents worth. Gotta admit that one of those trophies/awards would be a really cool addition to anyones display case though.......... Congrats to Ken on his win!
Andy
Andy,

You said everything I was about to say

When I went (I'll ride again!) I go for friends, food, view

Congrats KAP

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Andy
You took the words right from my keyboard.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Default Competitive drive

I understand where y'all are coming from but having been in sales for over 40 years I have that "drive" to close the sale! It carries over in my Corvette venue also. Somebody somewhere once said, "if you don't set out to win, why enter?" I am of that mind-set. Of course I love being around my friends and the settings but I want to win! But that's OK, Star doesn't get it either.............
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
I understand where y'all are coming from but having been in sales for over 40 years I have that "drive" to close the sale! It carries over in my Corvette venue also. Somebody somewhere once said, "if you don't set out to win, why enter?" I am of that mind-set. Of course I love being around my friends and the settings but I want to win! But that's OK, Star doesn't get it either.............
Your words...my exact sentiments...I stay away from peoples choice unless the venue is unique...too much vote rigging...I too have stock 2005 cpe and I do not spend half of my yearly salary on special polishes, rags, sprays, gizmos, etc...all my stuff is bought at local shops...the cheaper the better...like you Prez, I go there to win first and socialize at the same time but the competition comes first...it payed off last year when I placed 18 out of 20 times...
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
Yeah............BUT.............a "win" for you isn't the same as a "win" for me. I never expect to get a trophy. I'm the proud owner of just 1 of a couple hundred thousand C5's built, and I know that there are others out there that are "better" than mine and are more qualified to get a trophy. My "win" comes in driving (or caravaning) to the show site, seeing all of the great cars that have been entered, and renewing acquaintences with people that I probably haven't seen since the same show the previous year. I check out who's done what to their car since the last time, who has gotten a newer car to replace the old one, who has added another car to the stable, and take the opportunity to sit down with friends and enjoy some of the local cuisine. It's like "family reunion time" except that different members of the "family" show up at different events. Then I get to drive that great non-winning Vette back home with a smile on my face. I bought a Vette to drive, and not a show car, so I don't enter these events expecting to win. Hell, ask anyone, they'll tell you that if I ever won a trophy I would be asking where the mistake was made and who REALLY won the trophy. You, on the other hand, feel as though your Vette is in a condition to compete in events and win, so your "win" runs along those lines. Two different philosophies, and both are correct for the given circumstances. It seems like there is a fine line that you have to walk to make your car stand out without making it appear "gaudy" or "over the top", and since the judging is done by people (and is subjective) the fine line has a natural tendency to move according to the person doing the judging. One judge's "this is a great looking car" might be another's "way too much for me". OK time to step down off of the soap box. Enjoy your Vette (s), and eventually the trophies will come.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I'll go with Andy on this .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

If I'm go'n to Show,I'm go'n to Win!

I've never shown my vette's though!!

Last edited by gmjunkie; 03-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.
gmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I guess I'm still in total agreement with Andy here.

Everyone has thier own reason(s) for attending a show.

I go for the comaraderie, the food, atmosphere, and the ride. I go if it benefits a childrens or veterans charity (first and foremost), or another charity close to my heart.

But, I've never owned a "show car" and probably never will.

My next vette will be a "toy", something to play with on the weekends and when the weathers goodNot a DD and not a show piece (I don't have a garage anymore!)

That said, I've been to a TON of shows, and I never expect to win. I'm happy they even let me in the gate at some of them

My "competitve spirit" doesn't manifest itself in my cars. I save it for business, training, fighting, teaching, things like that...and funnel it for better performance.

When I'm hanging around my car buds, I'm "chillin'" and enjoyin' life, checkin' out the rides I can't afford and enjoying the scenery (yeah, all of it).

Talk about some f**ked up stuff....I went to a Bradenton show a few years back, simply because it was a fundraiser for children.

Took the 87 (those that had seen it understand that part alone), didn't clean it prior to arrival, and when I got there, just locked the doors and walked away. Went to Hooters and had spent time with friends, enjoyed the food, and just had a great time looking at the cars.

Came out for the presentations....just wanted to support those that won...and damn if they didn't announce my name!!

I'm like WTF?

What just happened? I don't know?

Go figure?

But that one plaque means more to me than any of the Ronnie Setzer crap I ever got over the years....and it was totally unplanned.....

If you're competitive, then by all means, compete! Get in it to win it!
But don't let it consume you and cost friendships an cause heartaches as I've seen in past cases

Enjoy it and just remember...it's a car show, not a life support system

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote