The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 02-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Renewal Contracts

I have/had a service for my business last year and it renewed automatically (to my dismay) earlier this month. I didn't receive anything from them saying 'we're going to renew your 1 year contract' or 'your contract is coming to an end'. I found the original email confirmation from my agreement for this service and there is nothing on there saying there would be an automatic renewal. I have requested any documentation they have showing where I agreed to this automatic renewal, but that was just today. They responded that their policy was payment was nonrefundable and someo BS about customer service being their priority. Anyone know if I have any recourse? The company is based in New York.
'70 LeMans Sport
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

FOrward me a copy of the original e-mail via e-mail and I'll take a look at it for you. I'll run it by a couple of the attorneys I work with and see what we can do?

Did you do a search on the company for complaints?

Since they're doing things via computer and interstate, there are multiple levels of oh sh*t! you could possibly bring down on them

If the paperwork and computer infor do not indicate an automatic renewal, I'd think you'd have recourse.

How did they get the $$$ Credit card? If so, challenge it with your bank or CC company. That will freeze the $$$ until the invest is over. In most cases, the consumer wins

Sounds like a scam brother

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
gsdave
engineer

Name :

I searched BBB in NY for complaints, but did not find any info on the company using the phone number their operating name Governmentbids.com or their parent company name, Mediagrif Interactive Technologies Inc.

I have searched several sites since posting this and, while its definitely sleazy, it sounds legal if they went about it correctly. I guess thats my biggest question, if they went about it correctly? I'll email you a copy of their current terms and conditions, but I have no idea if this was changed since I signed up or anything. I can also forward a copy of the confirmation email from my payment. Thanks for your help!
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, if the transaction was done via credit card, simply dispute it. Unless that company has a SIGNED receipt from you agreeing to the charge on your credit card, you will win the dispute.
Unread 02-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
gsdave
engineer

Name :

Well, the big thing right now is that I don't want these a**holes reporting anything on my credit right now because we're building a house and will have to go through another 'approval' process when the home is finished to convert to a regular mortgage. My credit is spotless, but I don't know how or even if this would show up?
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave View Post
Well, the big thing right now is that I don't want these a**holes reporting anything on my credit right now because we're building a house and will have to go through another 'approval' process when the home is finished to convert to a regular mortgage. My credit is spotless, but I don't know how or even if this would show up?
There are 2 issues at hand here.

1) Legitmacy of the charge.
2) Credit reporting.

1) Legitimacy:

If the terms and conditions were changed since you signed up, they are required to send you a copy of the changes.
If they failed to do that, they can't really change horses on you in mid stream.
Do you have a copy of the original terms?

2) Credit reporting:

Shouldn't be an issue. You have a right to dispute a charge that you feel is not ligitmate! If it turns out that way, any reporting they might do would be invalid and required to be removed immediately! If they failed to do so (or the credit bureau), or, if they did so spitefully, your lawsuit could easily make the down payment on your new house

See the fair Credit Reporting Act for more information.

Gordon

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote