The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 05-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #71
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
For the past two days the National Weather Service has been predicting a tropical storm to come up the west side of Florida next week. Just in time for Memorial Day!
Seems kind of early for tropical systems, but heck, you never know.

Looking at the weather radar, there looks like a huge band of moisture streaming up off of the east coast of Florida right now.

Connie and I just picked up a new storm door that we intend to put on the newly painted front door. Hoping we can get it installed real soon without the yellow flies tearing the flesh off of our bones while we are preoccupied with the install. Today when we went out to do errands, the flies chased the truck down the road and were clinging to the windows and mirrors.
Unread 05-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #72
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

You need to get one of these Rich. My wife has a blast with hers! Name:  285D8CD5-2678-4CDD-9BC6-CF691D13A37B.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  74.3 KB
Unread 05-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #73
Rich Z

Isn't that one of those salt shooters mentioned a while back? Meant to buy one of those, but for some reason never got a round to it. I'm not sure Connie would want me shooting those yellow flies when they landed on her, though.
Unread 05-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #74
85vette

Name :

Yeah, we’ve had it for two or three years now and it still works. I have gotten hit with some indirect salt ricochets and it does sting a bit. Definitely don’t want to catch one in the face. Bug-A-Salt.com
Unread 05-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #75
Rich Z

Yeah, now I remember. I was getting ready to order a couple of them, but sat there thinking about when and where I would actually use one. Not in the house. I certainly don't want salt everywhere. And we rarely ever get flies and such in the house. We do get palmetto bugs and sometimes centipedes, but Connie goes after them with the vacuum cleaner. And she is not going to spray salt in the house, neither. So I decided not to buy.

As for yellow flies, sure I could stand outside and wait for one to land nearby so I could take a shot at it, but while I'm waiting on that one to land, four more will be buzzing my head and trying to take a chunk out of my neck.

I do like the idea and the novelty of it, but I guess my greatly atrophied "practical gene" kicks in every now and again when I least expect it.

So what opportunities do you have to use it? I guess I'm looking for a good excuse to buy one.....
Unread 05-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #76
85vette

Name :

My wife uses it in the house/RV for the occasional fly and outside when the flies get on the carport ceiling. It uses very little salt. Also on the wasp/mud dobbers that try to build nest on the walls and window sills. They usually take multiple shots though unless you can get a point blank shot. She's actually gotten pretty good at slow moving targets like mosquitos!
Unread 05-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #77
85vette

Name :

Cheapest ammo you'll ever buy!
Unread 05-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #78
Rich Z

Hmm, well I was on their site and they have a specialty model called the "Silverado". Maybe I'll get Connie one of them to go with her pickup truck.
Unread 05-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #79
Rich Z

So this is the kind of forecast (for Sunday) that the National Weather Service makes these days....

Quote:
A chance of showers and thunderstorms between 8am and 2pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm.
Yeah, BIG difference there between the periods "8am and 2pm", and "after 2pm". Like that will be anywhere near accurate anyway.

Unread 05-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #80
85vette

Name :

It almost sounds like a statement made by politicians.....rather noncommittal.....