The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Paint & Body Work Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Paint & Body Work Forum For those people interested in the specifics of doing paint and body work repairs and/or enhancements.

Unread 05-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :
Flash man is on a distinguished road
Default Frankenstein Resto update

Hello All,

I built my spray booth, purchased my paint supplies and I am in the primer stage of the work. It will take some more time before I actually shoot the paint on the car. The parts get painted first, but the car needs a few minor body repairs, primer, sanding, blocking, base and clear. I am using Evercoat slick sand high build primer. Its easy to spray and sands very nice. I decided to go with the orginal black for the car in PPG omni au MBC9300.
I was going to do metallic
but I think I will stick with the original color. The clear is PPG concept DCU2021 urethane clear. I built a home made paint booth with pvc pipe and clear plastic sheeting. I installed two intake fans with filters and two exhaust fans so I can see what I am painting. I have installed numerous lights. I thought I would have the car finished by now but I have been very busy with my business. There is alot of prep work involved that just cant be rushed. I want a show quality finish on my vette and that is what I am taking my time so I get it right. Here are some pictures. See you all on the next update.

Joe - Flash
Attached Images

Flash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Can't wait for the finished product
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Lady N
1980 Black Beauty

Name :
Lady N has disabled reputation

Looking Goooooooooodddddddd My nephew a 19 year old kid painted our in our house also had 2 weeks to do it all ,we use all PPg products and the same clear coat you got a bit expensive but it make all the difference on the world. but you are correct the more time you have to block sand etc the better. We prime 3 coats last coat was black non sanding primer 3 base coats and 2 coats of clear . and I love it. go to www.Properautocare.com look for sizziling shine and vote for my car . You got the rite color also Black they look good is my favorite at least on the c 3 . look forward to see you car when done keep in touch . Even my wife was on the job blocking and sanding .Im curious about the reducer you going to use let me know?? good luck

Last edited by Lady N; 05-16-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Lady N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hello,

I base coated and cleared all 15 pieces of the corvette at 6am on Sunday morning. I base coated it black and noticed a few pieces of dirt here and there. I wet sanded it out, shot some more base coat and then cleared it. Two coats of clear is what PPG receommends and also the Paint shop. Its a high solid clear that I am using. I did not realize that and started to shoot a third coat of clear after a longer flash time. The clear started to wrinkle on the targa top and I stopped. It did wet sand out so it turned out ok. I am using a medium reducer. I beleive it is MR186.

I now have the car in the paint booth. I jacked it up and removed the wheels. I will have it taped up and will start to shoot the primer on it tomorrow evening. I will keep you posted.

Joe-Flash
Attached Images

Unread 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Man! That is going to look awesome!!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Lady N
1980 Black Beauty

Name :

I had the same problem with mine ,we started with the t-top because the are smaller and make a good practice items, as far you dirt is concern , you may want to move your fan to the top instead of the bottom it will clear all the fog much quicker plus it will not bring any dirt from the floor. when i get home Ill check on the reducer that we used on ours. It is looking good. that clear is tricky but it is the best you can get out there .dont forget the flex for the rubber parts We used dt885 reducer

Last edited by Lady N; 05-22-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Unread 05-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hi,

I did not put any flex additive in the clear. I talked to the paint shop and they said it is not needed for todays paints. We will see what happens when I bolt those panels on. I hope I dont have any problems. I just got done priming the car tonight. I have 2 coats on, but would like to give it another. Need to buy more slick sand primer. Car looks a wavy here and there. Need to block and get those panels straight. I am also painting under the hood. I want a nice looking finish under the hood. I hate that rough satin finish. Dont know if should buy a quart of single stage to shoot the underside of the hood. I dont know if I have enough clear to do that. I am also shooting the door jambs with base and clear. Here are a few pics. It should come out good Gordon, but I am getting burnt out man. I gotta keep it going and get it done. This is a big project and is taking up so much room in my warehouse. Getting hard to operate my business. Thanks for your help Lady N. Talk to you all soon.

Joe-Flash
Attached Images

Unread 05-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Man, I can see where a project like that might burn you out. Looks like a LOT of damned work! But I guess you just have to keep trudging along at this point to get 'er done. I'm sure it will all be worth it when you are finished, though....
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Lady N
1980 Black Beauty

Name :

Lookingggggggg goooooooooooodddddddddddddd I know what you mean about been tired of the project but when you finish and see the end results you be saying yehaaaaaaaaa . In the 2 weeks that my nephew was working on ours I was stress out to the point that i develope propecia It was the size of a quater on the back of my head, I call my cousin in Wellington he is a Doctor and I ask him and told me it was stress Thanks god the kid finish I was worry the hair loss. I think another 2 weeks it would it being the size of a dollar coin. Thanks God the hair grew back keep up the good work there. One last thing the door jambs had to be done good call you would had regret it if you did not do it
Unread 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :

Hello All,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know the end result will be rewarding, but it still seems so far away. I cleaned the door jambs very well with my cleaner (Brown Royal). There is no grease or any kind of contaminates in the hinges or door jambs. I am very focused on doing a good job and covering every area with paint. I guess I will paint and clear the door jambs at the same time that I do the car. I did do a little wet sanding on some of the painted parts. Wow. That clear looks so wet and thick. I do have a problem with the targa top. It looks like there is overpsray under the clear in some areas. I did alot of wet sanding and some of it came out. I hope I dont burn thru on getting it out. It is the area that I strated to shoot a third coat of clear and it started to wrinkle. I am getting a second wind now and will see this job thru. I wanna drive my vette. Its been four months since I have driven it. I will keep you all posted. Take care.

Joe Flash