The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 10-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road
Default Computer Virus

Over the last two days I have been fighting the Trojan Dropper virus and what a PITA this has been. I caught it before it did too much damage but it really screwed up Internet Explorer. I finally got operational again this afternoon by downloading Mozilla Firefox. So I am back on board, but at the moment I don't know whether I will try to download an update to IE or stay with Firefox.

What people get out of writing virus programs and inflicting damage on innocent people I will never understand. In my younger years I would try to find the SOB and beat the crap out of them. But now that I don't have any color left in my hair I am supposed to be more mature. There are times I think I liked it better when I was younger!

Anyway, it is behind me now and I will try to turn the other cheek. I know, I know, with my behind that is an awfully big turn! (Ray, I thought I would just go ahead and beat you to it!)

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, some sick puppies out there that create this sort of crap. You just can't have a computer these days without virus programs in place. Many will put them on bogus websites and then send out spam that looks enticing so you will get infected when you visit the site. That's why I try to get spam knocked out of my sites as quickly as possible.

Also, set you email up to just delete any email with an attachment immediately. That way you can view them in your deleted folder and purge them without having to open them up. I NEVER open an email with an executable attachment, no matter who it is from. Too many spammers will spoof innocent emails as being the source of the email to try to trick you into reading them.

And for the record, there will NEVER EVER be any emails sent from me or any of my sites with any executables at all. So if you get something like that, be aware that they are bogus and DO NOT open them up under any circumstances.
Unread 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Rich427

Name :

I am pretty careful and I am not sure how this one got in. It may have come in on my wife's account. Here Explorer started going screwy first, so I immediately ran a manual run of my virus scan and got it quarantined before it got too bad. But the damage was done to Explorer. I think I am going to give Foxfire a try since it appears that this virus was designed to go after IE. So far this afternoon Foxfire is doing fine.

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Unread 10-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I don't understand why someone would infect a Strangers computer!??

If and When they're caught...what type of punishment do they receive?
I figure the cost of damages would be high due to the fact that so Many would be affected.
Unread 10-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

In the Arabian world, if a person is caught commiting a serious crime like stealing etc., that person loses a hand. Sounds like a starting place for me with the Virus masters.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
KOPBET

Name :
KOPBET has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
I am pretty careful and I am not sure how this one got in.
Sorry you had trouble.

You didn't mention which trojan dropper you had trouble with (there's dozens), but in either case it definitely had help getting in. These things usually take advantage of known exploits in unpatched systems and most often use social engineering to get people to open infected emails, run programs or click links, open Word documents, visit compromized web sites, or via Skype or IM vulnerabilities to name a few. An updated, patched system with current virus/spyware protection is not a typical successful target for trojan droppers, especially when combined with safe computing practices.

KOPBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOPBET View Post
Sorry you had trouble.

You didn't mention which trojan dropper you had trouble with (there's dozens), but in either case it definitely had help getting in. These things usually take advantage of known exploits in unpatched systems and most often use social engineering to get people to open infected emails, run programs or click links, open Word documents, visit compromized web sites, or via Skype or IM vulnerabilities to name a few. An updated, patched system with current virus/spyware protection is not a typical successful target for trojan droppers, especially when combined with safe computing practices.

I am not sure which trojan dropper got me, Symantec did not identify which one it was. It just tore my Internet Explorer a new a$$. I have even tried to download another copy of Explorer 7 with not much success. I think I will stay with Foxfire for a while!

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

I was told that the people sending you the viruses are people that are contracted by the big companies that make the virus protection.
They can’t make any money if there’s no viruses.

Now there are people or sick kids that do do this for fun but the majority of the viruses are a scam to get you to buy some type of protection.
It’s a mega million $$$$$ guaranteed game and we have to pay to play.
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

I couldn't get on the internet from my desktop this past weekend. IE would just lock up while trying to load. I found a program while browsing from my notebook that allows you to disable shellware. As it recommended, I disabled everything that was not from Microsoft and IE was working just fine. I then started turning groups of shells back on and found the problem was the Google Task bar software. Here is the link to the free software if anyone is interested. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Rich427

Name :

Thanks Steve, when I get a few minutes I may give this a try. As long as foxfire is running strong, I have time to work this into my schedule.

Rich

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey