The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation
Default To drive or not to drive

I see people parking in handicapped spots all the time that should NOT be driving. Not long ago I was walking down the sidewalk and came upon this elderly woman sitting in her car. She stopped me and asked me to help her out of her vehicle and then assist her into the store she wanted to go into. She had literally been sitting in her car waiting for someone to come along because she was unable to stand or walk without help. I recall thinking, why in the world is this woman still driving? Should she really be behind the wheel of a 3000 lb hunk of metal? I think not. Not sure what the law is regarding this but dayum!
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
quasar05

Name :
quasar05 is on a distinguished road

The fact that she had to ask you to help her should answer your question. She apparently has no one else that can take her places. My father-in-law is 87 and still drives, but he knows his limits. He's very careful and only drives during the day at non-peak times, and then only to Publix and back. When you take that away from them, many of them give up and die.

/OO corvette OO\
~~~~wave~~~~
quasar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar05 View Post
The fact that she had to ask you to help her should answer your question. She apparently has no one else that can take her places. My father-in-law is 87 and still drives, but he knows his limits. He's very careful and only drives during the day at non-peak times, and then only to Publix and back. When you take that away from them, many of them give up and die.
I have to agree .Not all elderly should be driving but sometimes have little choice .My mother gave up her license at 90 but she couldn't drive all that well at 30 .My dad died with the keys in his pocket .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I understand being independent and not wanting to give up the freedom to drive. I went through very much the same thing with my mom. But I think there's a larger issue to consider here, and that is, public safety. Not long ago, an elderly gentleman turned off of a busy street and right through the wall of one of our stores. He apparently thought he was turning onto another street. Thank god no one was next to the wall at the time. Many of the elderly drivers are easily confused and their reaction times are nowhere near what they once were and they may not be able to react fast enough in an emergency situation. If it's a matter of noone being available to drive them, there are ways around that as well. Taxis, busses, and in our county, there's a no charge public transport available. They'll pick you up at your house, take you where you need to go and bring you back.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
quasar05

Name :

Last Sunday morning around 5:30am an 18 year old man was killed in Mandarin when he clipped a curb and over-corrected, sending his car into a power pole, driver's side first. DRT. Just sayin'. Those are the people I would rather keep off the streets. Unfortunately for him, he took care of that problem himself.

/OO corvette OO\
~~~~wave~~~~
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Good arguement for yearly testing for 65 and over...
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
quasar05

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
I thought I made a better argument for testing everyone. I was on a 4 lane divided road with a median this week and a school bus was in the oncoming lanes and its lights came on indicating that it was getting ready to stop for kids on the other side of the median. I passed a 30-something guy who stopped in the far right lane of our flow of traffic because he didn't know the rules related to school buses and traffic. Stupid has no age barrier. I'll take my chances with the little old lady doing 30 in a 50 over the knucklehead 20-something doing 50 in a 30.

/OO corvette OO\
~~~~wave~~~~
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
vett boy

Name :

Quote:
I resent that I can still drive better than the kid texting or the guy reading a newspaper .
If your going to do it to us elders lets do it to everyone YEARLY.Oh, illegals are exempt as usual .
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...She apparently has no one else that can take her places. My father-in-law is 87 and still drives, but he knows his limits. He's very careful and only drives during the day at non-peak times, and then only to Publix and back...
Sounds just like my dad until the day he died

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
....My dad died with the keys in his pocket .
My dad too bro...93 and kickin' ass!
Was going to head to the store when he had his TIA. Thank God he hadn't gotten behind the wheel yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton View Post
...Not long ago, an elderly gentleman turned off of a busy street and right through the wall of one of our stores. He apparently thought he was turning onto another street.

Hell Mark! I was downtown the other day, hadn't been there for a month or two, and turned the wrong way down a one way streetSOB! They'd changed the traffic pattern on me! (for real!)
...Many of the elderly drivers are easily confused and their reaction times are nowhere near what they once were and they may not be able to react fast enough in an emergency situation.

True, but most of them drive slower to compensate. Excelt the ones that buy VETTES!
...If it's a matter of no one being available to drive them, there are ways around that as well. Taxis, busses, and in our county, there's a no charge public transport available. They'll pick you up at your house, take you where you need to go and bring you back.
Good points my friend. The problem is, these services aren't available everywhere thier needed And in some cases, even the low cost options can't be afforded by those on a fixed income It's a bad situation that truly needs to be fixed

Quote:
Quote:
I thought I made a better argument for testing everyone. I was on a 4 lane divided road with a median this week and a school bus was in the oncoming lanes and its lights came on indicating that it was getting ready to stop for kids on the other side of the median. I passed a 30-something guy who stopped in the far right lane of our flow of traffic because he didn't know the rules related to school buses and traffic. Stupid has no age barrier. I'll take my chances with the little old lady doing 30 in a 50 over the knucklehead 20-something doing 50 in a 30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
I resent that I can still drive better than the kid texting or the guy reading a newspaper .
If your going to do it to us elders lets do it to everyone YEARLY.Oh, illegals are exempt as usual .
The above three post are excellent!!

Until a few years ago, I regularly taught both the defensive drivers course (ticket course) and the New drivers course (for teens).

This subject was broached on many occasion in both classes.

The fact is, although the state "could" adopt said testing and even restrict ones ability to drive after a certain age (it's a priviledge, not a right), they won't.

With the number of over 60 drivers we have in Florida alone, it would be political suicide to even suggest it
Testing is the same way.

To suggest age or gender biased testing, invites a political chit storm and has the potential of resulting in years long and very expensive court battles.

Instead, what groups like AAA, AARP and other senior organizations (AAA's not a seniors org BTW-but they are a safety org), have done, is to begin thier own programs to train and educate senior drivers

Both sides, young and old, have thier issues as well.

We could say that based upon statistics, no one under or over a certain age would be allowed to purchase certain HP cars due to thier advanced handleing and performance characteristics....that'd go over well

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
vett boy

Name :

Good post shadow .AARP is doing a great program .I also take defensive driving every couple years ,it helps on the auto insurance and I learn something every time .