The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 03-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough
Angry new kid on the block, griping already!

Hi folks, I have a 1985 Vette and am slowly getting her in daily driver form. I knew it needed a water pump so, smart me, I get upper and lower hoses and a Cloyes timing gear and set, aftermarket water pump,you know, kill two birds with one stone. After looking it over I have determined I don't have all the tools needed to do the job and have solicited labor estimates from a couple of local shops. They're telling me how you have to put it on a lift and remove the steering rack, etc., etc. $587.00 just for labor?!? I'm thinkin, this sounds a bit high, so I call the local Chevy place (University Chev. in Tallahassee) and ask what the labor would be for this job? $330.00 Wow! Never thought a dealer would be lower than an independant, right? BUT......... There's a catch! The dealer won't install non-GM parts. So,rather than pay $250.00 more for labor, I have to pay $250.00 more for the GM parts! We just can't win!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

There are some independent shops up here in Mass. that won't install customer purchased parts either! I don't know what their rational is for that decision, but them's the rules so I guess that we have to live by them.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe
There are some independent shops up here in Mass. that won't install customer purchased parts either! I don't know what their rational is for that decision, but them's the rules so I guess that we have to live by them.
Andy
The rationale behind that decision is because they want to make a profit on the parts as well as the labor. You don't think you get the parts at THEIR cost, now do you?
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
The rationale behind that decision is because they want to make a profit on the parts as well as the labor. You don't think you get the parts at THEIR cost, now do you?
Nah! I remember being told that it had something to do with any warranty work that had to be done concerning the parts. The people THEY buy the parts from will honor warrantees on the parts, but if the shop installs YOUR part they don't know where it came from, and how good (or bad) it is. Left unsaid was the uplift in price from what THEY paid to what YOU pay. I guess that either point has some merit.
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
85vette

Name :

I understand the reasoning behind their policy, I wouldn't expect them to warranty a part that didn't have GM on it. It's just frustrating that you can save some money on labor only to be charged the difference when you buy the parts. I was actually surprised the labor was as low as it is. I'll see if I can locate another shop that is in the same labor range, somebody must still be reasonable. Many shops see a Corvette and see dollar signs, I know, I used to be a service advisor at the old Bill Thomas Chevrolet in Tallahassee. Many of the mechanics would bump an estimate on Vettes. I guess they figured if someone has the money to buy one they can afford to pay extra to maintain one.
Unread 03-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

I am currently working with a national chain auto repair center and they have been very willing to allow me to bring in my own SS brake lines and A/C parts. They did take me to side and ask that I not discuss it in front of other customers because they are not suppose to use any part other than what they can obtain. They kinda opened the door when they couldn't get pre-bent brake lines for my '93 and I found them on the net.
Thrust me they make money on parts.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default 85vette,

I feel for ya man, I really do. and I agree with what's been said here on this thread, including your posts.

Me...I do believe i'd want the GM parts or better, for my high performance baby I for one wouldn't want someone to apply 2nd hand or "cheaper" parts on her. Like you, i'd shop around also. I'll bet you'll find middle ground somewhere, without sacrificing the integrity/performance of your Vette .

That beng said, it doesn't stop at the Mechanic shops. Seems like when I have people coming to the house to give us an estimate for something, they take one look at the Two Vettes parked in the carport and... cha ching, the price just went UP! I guess they see $$ signs and like you said, if ya can afford a vette well.....

Good Luck!

~Ray
Unread 03-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah.... I need to go to the dentist to get some work done, but really don't want to pull up there in a vette for the preliminaries. You can bet the estimate will be higher than if I drove up in the van.... I would expect this sort of thing can happen in many other instances where the price is flexible.
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I know exactly what you mean, I had a tree service come to my house to give me an estimate on removing some old pine trees around the house, this was back in Janurary, I called them back to give me a different estimate on just removing the palmettos and clearing out for a fence, less than half the original job, but when the owner/sales guy say the corvette in the driveway, the cost almost doubled for about half the original job... needless to say I laughed and told the guy that he could take that estimate and visit the nearest port-o-potty...

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
I feel for ya man, I really do. and I agree with what's been said here on this thread, including your posts.

Me...I do believe i'd want the GM parts or better, for my high performance baby I for one wouldn't want someone to apply 2nd hand or "cheaper" parts on her. Like you, i'd shop around also. I'll bet you'll find middle ground somewhere, without sacrificing the integrity/performance of your Vette .

That beng said, it doesn't stop at the Mechanic shops.

~Ray
I do try to get the best parts for the money, my timing set is a Cloyes tru-roller, I've used them in several other rods I've owned and never had a failure. But guess what your local Chevy dealers sometimes do? I've sold tune-ups on Vettes and priced out the factory plug wires only to have the parts dept. send out to the local parts house for a $39.00 set. That's why I don't work in that business anymore. Just because you bought it at a dealer doesn't ensure it's the best, but yes, I know where you're coming from.