The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Claybarred the C6

Well I figure the paint had cured enough on Connie's C6 to claybar it today. I can't help but be amazed at what that little bar of clay can do to a finish. Even on a brand new paint job, it made a world of difference. If I were to let go of the claybar while it was on the hood, it would easily slide down to the point where I had not claybarred yet and screech to a halt when it hit that relatively rougher surface. It slicks up that clear count something wonderful.

Tomorrow I will put a coat of Rejex on it and I'll be it will REALLY shine.

If you haven't tried clay barring your car yet, what in the WORLD are you waiting for?
Unread 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

I Clay every month,The paint stays slick like hot butter,One day I'm going to try to Do A Duke Boy's over the hood.Just don't tell Classy
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Rich, where did you get your claybar? Flash's......? And how long did it take you to do the car? I understand that you have to use a liquid, kinda like lubrication. What, if anything, did you use? I'm thinking of doing my C5 and want to get it right the first time!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe
Rich, where did you get your claybar? Flash's......? And how long did it take you to do the car? I understand that you have to use a liquid, kinda like lubrication. What, if anything, did you use? I'm thinking of doing my C5 and want to get it right the first time!
Andy
Andy,

Most any claybar product works very well. I have used a number of different types and have not noticed a significant difference between them. Use your detail spray, Adam's, Zaino, Meguiar's, whatever you have. Don't press down on the claybar, just use your finger tips and glide it over the surface. I stretch and fold the claybar after doing a section (half the hood, fender, etc). You should be able to do a C5 in 20 minutes or so. It is really easy and a great bang for the buck!

Good luck!
Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :

I like to use plastic sandwich bag to hold it,It can get Very slippery and if you drop it is pretty much done.
Unread 04-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

You can get a Mothers or Meguires clay bar kit at the parts store. It comes with the bar and detail spray.

Wash the car like you normally would, clay the entire car and wash it again.
Unread 04-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :

I get my at Wallyworld.I don't wash my car after it i just take a polisher to it,and Man does she shine.
Unread 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Mechanic
I like to use plastic sandwich bag to hold it,It can get Very slippery and if you drop it is pretty much done.
You know, I have heard a LOT of people say that about dropping their claybar, but I disagree. I've dropped mine several times, in the sand, no less (I park the cars under a carport which has a bare sandy soil underneath), and simply use the hose to forcefully clean it off, and visually inspect the clay for any particles. Rarely does the hosing leave anything on it, and I can simply pluck off anything stubborn. So regardless of what other people say, I classify this just as an old wife's tale. And good darn thing, too! Otherwise I would have to buy those things by the CASE when I would do this sort of job!

I used a claybar I got from Adam's. The one prior to that came from Zaino. I didn't realize Joe (Flash) sold a claybar as I didn't see it on his website the last time I ordered from him. Adam's claybar seems harder than the one from Zaino. Which has pros and cons. The harder Adam's one seemed much easier on flat surfaces and didn't tend to break off at the seams of the body panels. The Zaino on, on the other hand, seems much better on the curved sections as it would mold itself quicker than the harder Adam's one would. However it was not at all unusual to have to pluck out pieces of the Zaino bar from the seams when I was done. I also had to fold the Zaino bar much more often as it was soft enough to flatten around the fingers more readily than the Adam's one would.

I tend to apply light pressure to the bar when using it. This time I used Adam's detail spray as a lubricant which worked much better than just using soapy water as I did the previous time. There were actually a couple of black spots on the paint that I had to spend a little bit of time and apply pressure to in order to remove. The bars are slightly abrasive, so taking care not to overdo it, you can remove minor blemishes using it. Matter of fact there was *something* on the roof behind the removable panel that I just noticed while drying off the C6, probably put there when we had the back weatherstrip replaced. Possibly adhesive, or something. I just spend a few moments with the clay bar and it removed it all completely.

I didn't really time it to see how long it took. Depends as to when you consider the beginning is and the ending. I washed the car down with Dawn dish washing detergent to remove any wax that might have been on the paint. Then clay barred it THOROUGHLY. Then rinsed off the detail spray lubricant and dried the surface. I'm guessing maybe it took about an hour or so to do. Maybe a bit longer as I really took my time and thoroughly inspected the entire surface for any blemishes. There is a scratch underneath the driver's side mirror that I need to take a whack at with the buffer and some polish to see if I can take it out. Not sure I can, as I can feel it with my fingernail, but I'll give it a try. Just have to be careful I don't mess up the mirror as the scratch is REAL close to it.
Unread 04-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Thanks Rich!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Robert finally let me clay my vette by myself awhile back and now I don't have to wait for him to take the time to do it for me. What satisfaction it is to feel the smoooooooth results!