The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 02-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default New thread, for old road racing & old racer's

Have had some fun in here with the fella's remembering old days of race car's.
Thought maybe I'd try my luck with more pictures of the past cars, and driver's, and history of both.

Some great learning experiences herein, with some laugh's as well.
Example, our wonderful Corvette God Father Zora Arkus Duntov.
How many knew that Zora's telephone number was a listed phone number for every corvette owner to call him personally if they had a problem, or just to shoot the bull? He wanted to know when there was a problem, and if he could help a stranded owner, he would.
That at 5:00 PM sharp and I do mean sharp.....was cocktail DRY MARTINI time? Pull the Vette over at the nearest cocktail happy hour.
The death of him was his Lucky Strike Cigrettes.
He was an acomplished pilot, and owned to his end a beautiful Rockwell single engine airplane. and was determined to break Jimmy Dolittle's air speed record in a BGee' aircraft.
That Zora won the 24 hours of LeMans 1955.......but driving a Porsche! Nearly got fired by GM.

I receive daily email's from many corvette owner's of both new vette and older vettes....and as some have read herein, I have many old credit's to my
years with Corvette, Corvette engineering, Corvette racing, or just racing in itself.
I as example have personally owned some 34 Corvettes throughout my life time, and my brother Chris, most likely more than me. And naturally I always laugh when I see Barrett Jackson Auction, and think to myself.........OMG
all the Stingray's we owned and sold a few thousand
As most all know, I had the honor to host the very first Corvette Grand Sport Reunion back in 1978. And anyone reading this part.......and NO Bill Tower had NOTHING, ZIP ZERO NADA to do with the Reunion other than being a ticket holder. The orginal engineers were all there, along with media and the GS's doing battle for the first time at Sebring Raceway. These cars at the time were believed tohave been destroyed and long gone history, until I personally tracked down and located all 5. (Talk about some racing stories from each and all owner's)
Because of that meeting Reunion of the Grand Sports, and the many media magizines coverage...the Grand Sports became to the public what they are today, NOT becuase of the Amelia Island concours show, a couple years ago.
I have a picture to share here in.
In this picture,the very men that gave Corvette life......... Do you know them.
Driver's at the Daytona 1963 Continental race 1. Then later, pictures not many have ever seen before that were recently sent to me from a fellow Corvette owner. Thank you Garrett .
Attached Images

Last edited by spiceman; 02-08-2010 at 11:33 AM.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Thanks Spice. I don't know who any of the guys are in the photo. I have also been wondering how you came up with the name Spice. I think there maybe a long story behind that and I would love to hear it.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
spiceman

Name :
Default The name Spice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Thanks Spice. I don't know who any of the guys are in the photo. I have also been wondering how you came up with the name Spice. I think there maybe a long story behind that and I would love to hear it.
Spice because of my involvement with the SPICE GTP USA program. The beautiful and with out a doubt........one of the fastest race cars to this day. 1500 pound 850 horse rocket's. Biggest problem then? keeping traction.
Attached Images

Unread 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Spice because of my involvement with the SPICE GTP USA program. The beautiful and with out a doubt........one of the fastest race cars to this day. 1500 pound 850 horse rocket's. Biggest problem then? keeping traction.
I can't imagine 850HP and 1500#. My Vette weighs 3500# with me in it and I'm very satisfied with the stock engine.

Just to sit in a car like that or maybe even a brief run around the track would be a dream. I always thanked God that I was able to work at a job I loved and I'm sure you must feel the same way. How fortunate we are.
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
spiceman

Name :
Default Bob, see the pic I posted with that Pontiac tempest (1963)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I can't imagine 850HP and 1500#. My Vette weighs 3500# with me in it and I'm very satisfied with the stock engine.

Just to sit in a car like that or maybe even a brief run around the track would be a dream. I always thanked God that I was able to work at a job I loved and I'm sure you must feel the same way. How fortunate we are.
That little tempest beat the pants off everyone at Daytona. Had a factory 421 Cu in engine, the car had to weigh in at around 2400 pounds. Thats with a cast 421 block, and damn old heavy cast iron headers.......what a fantastic drag car it would have made. especially in pure stock class.
And to see that many Corvettes. Z06 Corvettes no less racing daytona all at once, has to be to this day a record amount of Corvettes in one race. Hell there were only 112 I believe to begin with compared to today's Z06 in the thousands and yet we see only a very few race.
Interesting isn't it?
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
spiceman

Name :
Default more pic's of the 1963 Daytona Continental

Quote:
That little tempest beat the pants off everyone at Daytona. Had a factory 421 Cu in engine, the car had to weigh in at around 2400 pounds. Thats with a cast 421 block, and damn old heavy cast iron headers.......what a fantastic drag car it would have made. especially in pure stock class.
And to see that many Corvettes. Z06 Corvettes no less racing daytona all at once, has to be to this day a record amount of Corvettes in one race. Hell there were only 112 I believe to begin with compared to today's Z06 in the thousands and yet we see only a very few race.
Interesting isn't it?
Oh yes, the wrecked vette, that's my car too. Ya, Tom Rizzo took one hell of a barrell roll fliping about 6 times thank God he was ok, the Z06 totally destroyed.
Attached Images

Unread 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Interesting isn't it?
The Tempest won many drag events. Arnie is one of the greats.
Attached Images

Unread 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
spiceman

Name :

Bob,
now see, I just learned something too.
Great pic as well.
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Bob K
Deceased

Quote:
Bob,
now see, I just learned something too.
Great pic as well.
Arnie was known as 'The Flying Farmer from Illinois'. Here is a link to the photos of his cars. He's a great guy and driver. There were very few 'Personalities' at that time in our sport and guys like him were just great to be around.

http://www.arniebeswick.com/photos.htm
Unread 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
spiceman

Name :

Thanks again Bob, man love that torque for sure. Man that engine wanted to twist the Tempest into a pretsol didn't it. LOL
Thanks again for the pic's and introduction to Tempest drag 101.
Spice