The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 12-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation
Default Corvette Racing at Daytona

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: The Start of a New Era

Corvette C7.R to make public debut at ‘Roar Before the 24’ ahead of TUDOR Championship

DETROIT (Dec. 31, 2013) – A new beginning for Corvette Racing is on the horizon with a new car set to debut in a new season for a new championship. The Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway will be the site of first public laps for the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R. The Jan. 3-5 test is a dress rehearsal for the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona – the first race for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

The two Corvettes will compete in the TUDOR Championship’s GT Le Mans class for the full season. After winning back-to-back driver’s, team and manufacturer’s titles in the American Le Mans Series’ GT category with the venerable Corvette C6.R, the C7.R has big shoes – errr, tires – to fill. The C6.R won 55 races around the world: four at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and 51 in the American Le Mans Series.

"It will be fantastic to finally see the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R on the track alongside our competition in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship," said Mark Kent, Director of Chevrolet Racing. "This should be another season of the extremely competitive GT racing that we have become accustomed to seeing. The C7.R is the result of a massive amount of teamwork between our Corvette design team at Chevrolet, Pratt & Miller Engineering and GM's Powertrain group. We hope their collective efforts will provide Corvette Racing a successful debut season with the C7.R."

The faces behind the wheel remain largely intact from a year ago. Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen – ALMS GT champions with three victories in 2013 – will team again in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette. Tommy Milner and Oliver Gavin – the 2012 ALMS GT champions – are back together in the No. 4 car winning twice last season. For both the Rolex 24 and Sebring 12 Hours, Ryan Briscoe will join the No. 3 lineup with Robin Liddell in the No. 4 Corvette.

With the full unveil of the Corvette C7.R set for Jan. 13 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the two race cars will run in camouflage livery for the three-day test. Aside from private testing of the C7.R earlier this year, the Roar will mark Corvette Racing’s first time at Daytona International Speedway since the team won overall at the 2001 Rolex 24. Ron Fellows, Johnny O’Connell, Franck Freon and Chris Kneifel drove the victorious Corvette C5-R.

The Rolex 24 also was the site of Corvette Racing’s debut on Jan. 31, 1999. Since that first race, the team has competed in 150 other events around the globe with 90 victories worldwide, 10 team and manufacturer championships in the ALMS and seven victories at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The TUDOR Championship is the result of a merger between the ALMS and GRAND-AM’s Rolex Sports Car Series. Corvette Racing will compete in 11 races around North America plus the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“It’s definitely a step forward and in the right direction on everything we were probably lacking from last year. We still need to get used to knowing how the car behaves. It’s definitely an important time now to learn every single aspect of the car. Now it’s time to really try different things on our side – driving style and everything else to see if we need to change or adapt a few things to be more efficient in this car. The good thing is that we have been able to improve the whole package. It feels more or less like driving the C6.R but one step above on every single thing. Now we may be in the same spots as the C6 but have to improve on other points. Now we need to improve so we can be better in every area. The transition has been very good. Whatever we were working on and were limited on with the C6, we’ve been able to produce a new car that will launch us forward.”

(Participating at the Roar) “It’s important to know where everyone stands. In the end, these are all different cars and they behave differently. We need to know where we are strong and where we are lacking against the competition. The Roar will be the first step for us to learn where we are and where we stand after a short offseason. The Daytona 24 Hours will be the real test to know where everyone stands.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“This is an evolution and next step for Corvette Racing. Everything has been improved on the car. So far we’ve really felt a lot of the improvements – on the engine side, in the chassis and aerodynamics. It’s a good step forward. The old car was really suffering at the end. We won some races but it wasn’t for being the fastest car. To go into a 24-hour race as the first for the car will be a difficult situation for us. But I’m very confident that if anyone can do it, we can.”

(What’s new) “It’s all the small things that have been improved… and there are a lot of small things! We’ve all driven the car now and everyone has the same sort of feedback: that it’s a little bit easier to drive, it has less movement and you can feel the stiffer chassis. We are still early with the new direct injection engine but are making progress there also. We haven’t really hit on something where we think, ‘Eh, this isn’t going to work.’ Everything is going in the right direction. We will see what the competition has for us when we get to Daytona. But at the very least, we will go there with a better car than we had last year.”

RYAN BRISCOE, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“I haven’t driven the car yet so I’m really looking forward to getting in there and getting a feel for what it will be like. The car is extremely advanced. From talking to the other drivers, it sounds like they have made gains from last year’s car to the new C7.R. I really want to get out there and get comfortable in the car. I’ve got two amazing teammates in Antonio and Jan. I want to do my part – be smooth, consistent and fast when I need to be. Hopefully I can be the guy they need me to be to win these long races.”

(Providing input) “I fully expect there to be a lot of discussion on things like setup direction and things that the team may not be used to with the old car. We will have to be prepared to adjust and make changes – maybe more than would have typically been done last year. Having said that, having input from someone like myself from the outside and not necessarily based on last year’s car could be helpful. It sounds like everyone has been pretty excited so far with the first on-track sessions. We hope it keeps going smoothly and we get plenty of track time with it.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“As a team, 2013 was a very successful season. Corvette Racing and Chevrolet won every championship we possibly could. Now the focus has completely shifted to 2014 and the Corvette C7.R. It is something the team has had a focus on for most of the last year. The first time I sat in the car at Pratt & Miller was seven months ago, and it's been exciting to have to gone through the process - from a base chassis and the car being built up to finally seeing it testing on the race track. I've been involved with that pretty much every step of the way. It's been great to be a part of that and see the beginning of another fantastic season in the world of Corvette Racing."

(2014 outlook) "This certainly looks to be one of the most exciting years of racing I can remember. We all are looking forward to getting on track and seeing where we stack up to our competition. Developing the new Corvette C7.R has been a fantastic experience although we really are still in the early days. The results have been encouraging as the car is an upgrade in many key area and will be important given what we will face this year in the TUDOR Championship and at Le Mans.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“The first impressions have been really good. I felt really comfortable right away with the car. Initially it was very well connected and well-balanced. It gave me a lot of confidence. Right away, that was a nice feeling. You can tell it’s a Corvette. It still feels similar in some ways (to the C6.R) but you can tell it’s the next generation of car. It does certain things better than the last generation.”

(Team continuity) “Having the same fundamental people that helped build the C6.R GT car and now have done the C7.R is evident. In my first test, I did an hour-and-a-half in the car with zero issues and that allowed me to get used to things. I didn’t have to think about new teammates, a new engineer… that has been typical for me in my racing career. I’d be with a team for two or three years and go elsewhere for other opportunities. I can definitely see the differences that (continuity) brings and that helps me get up to speed with the program quicker. I was ready to start making changes to the car to help the balance after 10 laps. That’s a testament to the team at Corvette Racing and Pratt & Miller for building a car that is much better in many areas.”

ROBIN LIDDELL, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“We’re all looking very much forward to the first two endurance races. Daytona is a track that I know very well. I’ve raced there every year for the last 10 years plus have done loads of testing. We have all the sum parts. I don’t feel any kind of undue pressure to do well. We have all the tools we need to do it. The team has been very good in helping me to integrate myself in and acclimate myself to the car. All the pieces are there to do a fantastic job and achieve great results.”

(His initial test) “Testing the car for the first time was quite challenging. With the car being new and not being rubbed on very hard, it was a great test and shakedown. At the end of the day, there is a little bit of work on balance and handling. The good news is that the things I was feeling and were sort of finding a little tricky were some of the same things that Olly and Tommy were seeing. So we have a little bit of work to do but that’s to be expected because the car is completely new.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

"The 2014 season is one of the most highly anticipated moments in the storied history of Corvette Racing. Building and testing a new car in such a compressed time frame has been a monumental task. But challenge is what fuels the efforts from the groups at Chevrolet, Pratt & Miller and GM Powertrain. As Jan. 25 approaches, the Corvette C7.R stands ready to write yet another chapter in Chevrolet racing history. Debuting the C7.R in Daytona is fitting as it comes precisely 15 years after Corvette Racing’s debut at the Rolex 24. We are truly excited to return and start the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship in spectacular fashion."

Roar Before the 24 (all times ET)

Friday, Jan. 3

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 1: 10:15 a.m.-noon

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 2: 2:45-5:15 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 4

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 3: 9-10:45 a.m.

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 4: 1-2:30 p.m.

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 5: 4-5 p.m.

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 6: 6:30-8 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 5

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 7: 10:15 a.m.-noon

· TUDOR Championship, Practice 8: 2:30-3:30 p.m.

Corvette Racing History at Daytona

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GT2
Fellows/Kneifel/Paul Jr.
3rd
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Sharp
12th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Bell
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Freon
10th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O’Connell/Kneifel/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R
Overall win

Collins/Pilgrim/Earnhardt/Earnhardt Jr.
2nd
Corvette C5-R

CORVETTE DPs AT DAYTONA: ’Roar’ Out of the Gates for 2014

Start of TUDOR Championship sees strong contingent of Corvette Daytona Prototypes prep for Rolex 24

DETROIT (Dec. 31, 2013) – Chevrolet is ready for a landmark season of sports car racing in North America with a strong complement of Corvette Daytona Prototypes that will compete in the inaugural year of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Six Corvette DPs are set to compete this season at some of the continent’s top road courses starting with the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25-26.

Prior to that however, Corvette DP teams will take part in the annual Roar Before the 24 three-day test at Daytona International Speedway from Jan. 3-5.

The sports car landscape has changed significantly since Wayne Taylor Racing’s Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli won in September at Lime Rock Park to clinch the Rolex Series’ DP driver’s championship. The Rolex Series and American Le Mans Series officially merged with DPs in the new top-level prototype class. In order to balance the cars in the prototype category, the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) has made a number of technical adjustments to Daytona Prototype cars including new aerodynamics and brake systems, and additional horsepower from 2013.

“This is one of the most highly anticipated and exciting starts to a season of sports car racing in many years,” said Mark Kent, Director of Chevrolet Racing. “We are looking forward to another year of close racing in the prototype class as our strong lineup of teams compete to defend Chevrolet's Manufacturers Championship.”

Six Daytona Prototype entries from five teams will take to Daytona International Speedway for this week’s three-day test: Wayne Taylor Racing, Action Express Racing (with two Corvette DPs), GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing and newcomer Marsh Racing – stepping up from running a GT Corvette to the Corvette DP.

Those efforts will lead Chevrolet’s fight for additional victories and championships in the top level of North American sports car racing. Chevrolet ended Rolex Series competition with 20 Daytona Prototype victories – 16 by Corvette DPs since it debuted in 2011 – and nine in GT. The Bowtie brand also captured DP engine manufacturer championships in both 2012 and 2013, plus the 2011 GT title.

“There are been a huge amount of work and cooperation between our teams, IMSA and our technical partners in advance of this season,” said Jim Lutz, Chevrolet TUDOR Championship Daytona Prototype Program Manager. “Headed into the Roar Before the 24, we feel like our DP teams are good positions to make their final preparations for the start of the season. As always, Daytona International Speedway presents a significant challenge given the track’s banking and high speeds. Given the new technical regulations and adjustments for 2014, reliability will take on added importance. That will be a key focal point for this year’s Roar.”
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Final Dress Rehearsal for Rolex 24

Solid start for new Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs in Roar Before the 24

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan 5, 2014) – Corvette Racing moved a step closer toward its return to the Rolex 24 At Daytona over the weekend with a successful three-day test at Daytona International Speedway. Oliver Gavin in the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R set the weekend’s second-best time for the GT Le Mans class during the Roar Before the 24 with a 1:45.743 (121.200 mph). It’s the annual test that serves as the last tune-up before the opening round of the new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.

Gavin partners with full-season teammate Tommy Milner and Robin Liddell in the No. 4 Corvette for the Rolex 24. Jan Magnussen was third-fastest in the class with a 1:45.792 (121.143 mph) in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette he shares with Antonio Garcia and Ryan Briscoe. Both Corvettes set their fastest times in Friday’s opening session.

The three days in Daytona Beach were focused on constant development and establishing a baseline setup on the Corvette C7.Rs, which will make their competition debuts for the twice-around-the-clock race on Jan. 25-26. The Corvette Racing crew progressed through a comprehensive list of settings and adjustments on the high banks at Daytona.

Sunday’s two sessions were the final ones before Corvette Racing and its two new-for-2014 Corvette C7.Rs return for the 52nd running of the Rolex 24. The event is an important part of Corvette Racing history for multiple reasons. In the team’s last appearance at Daytona, Corvette Racing won the 2001 race overall with a Corvette C5-R. The Rolex 24 also was the site of Corvette Racing’s debut on Jan. 31, 1999. Since that first event, the team has competed in 150 other events around the globe with 90 victories worldwide, 10 team and manufacturer championships in the ALMS and seven victories at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The TUDOR Championship is the result of a merger between the ALMS and GRAND-AM’s Rolex Sports Car Series. Corvette Racing will compete in 11 races around North America plus the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“So far we have been running our development program and learning everything we can on the car. Being here and racing here for the first time in many years, we don’t have any backup data on how the C6.R performed here. It is brand new for us, but everything has gone very well. Being a new car, we don’t know if we will lack any information or experience here. The way the car has run, it’s obvious everything is evolution from the C6.R and it’s progressing well. Part of our focus was getting Ryan comfortable, and we wanted to help him with any questions he had. At end of the day, he is a professional driver and has fit in very well.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

““For us it this was an important weekend. It has been a productive couple days. This was the first time we got a chance to see how we stack up against the rest of our competition. But the main program has been to continue the development of the car. Come race time, hopefully we will be where we need to be. It’s still early days but everyone will be very close during the race – as it has always been in GT racing. We’ve run through several of our development packages with the new car and gotten Ryan up to speed with the team and the car. It’s all gone well. It’s very exciting what’s going on with the merger of the two series. I think everything looks great with a really cool field of cars. It’s different for me this time as it is the beginning of a championship. Usually all the other years I’ve been here, I’ve been a third driver. Now there is more on the line than trying to win the Rolex 24. For sure this is the start of a long, hard championship.”

RYAN BRISCOE, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“The car was a lot of fun to drive. I would say it exceeded expectations on grip level, handling and overall performance. The team worked great, and it was a fantastic experience. I got plenty of miles in the car and came away feeling very comfortable. I did my first run Friday, and that was a great chance to get a good impression. The next time I got in, I felt like my lap times were becoming competitive. I was able to start feeling balance changes. We actually went through quite a bit of setup work over the three days. For me, the good thing was getting out there and being used to the car with traffic, in different temperatures and a couple different tire compounds from Michelins. It was really good getting a feel for the car in the all the situations we will face in the race. I feel like I checked all the boxes.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“This has been a pretty good test. It was a little unusual in that the conditions were very cold for the first two days. That was a little bit of a challenge trying to get the car right. We’ve managed to get it comfortable and nice to drive. Every driver has been through in the car and got to a good level of comfort. We are still looking to improve it in areas, but I think we have our base setup for here. Let’s see what the weather does for that week at the end of the month. You’re never really too sure how that’s going to turn out. Today, it was a good 10-15 degrees warmer than anything we saw the first two days.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“I think we are in good shape for the race. Throughout all of the testing that we’ve done so far, the car has been reliable. The same was the case here. It was quick and it was reliable. We had no real mechanical issues that – on the surface – that we should be worried about come race time. All in all, it was a great three days for us. This was a great test for us.”

ROBIN LIDDELL, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“It’s been a very productive test. Having done this event enough times, you get a sense for how these type things go. We’re working toward our own agenda and making sure the car is comfortable and consistent for a 24-hour race. With additional classes, it’s the Daytona 24 Hours of old. It’s important for all of us to keep focus on the bigger picture. This team has huge amounts of experience and fantastic results and achievements in the past. They know how to win races. The car feels very good, well-balanced in the infield, good under braking. At this point, I think we are very happy with things. It was a little frustrating with the number of red-flag periods and traffic, it’s quite helpful in terms of getting accustomed to how things will go during the race.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

“Coming into the Roar, Corvette Racing had a very comprehensive test program in place. The constant change in weather conditions was a challenge, as was dealing with the number of on-track incidents. However that is the nature of endurance racing. We are satisfied with the work that the team accomplished and feel like we are on solid ground for the race in three weeks."

Corvette Racing History at Daytona

Year
Class
Drivers
Result
Car
Notes

GT2
Fellows/Kneifel/Paul Jr.
3rd
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Sharp
12th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/Kneifel/Bell
2nd
Corvette C5-R

Pilgrim/Collins/Freon
10th
Corvette C5-R

GTS
Fellows/O’Connell/Kneifel/Freon
1st
Corvette C5-R
Overall win

Collins/Pilgrim/Earnhardt/Earnhardt Jr.
2nd
Corvette C5-R

CORVETTE DPs AT DAYTONA: Fittipaldi Sets Prototype Pace in Roar Testing

No. 5 Action Express Corvette DP leads Chevrolet contingent in testing for Rolex 24

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 5, 2014) – The final on-track preparations for Chevrolet’s Corvette Daytona Prototype teams are complete ahead of the opening round of the inaugural TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Christian Fittipaldi in Action Express Racing’s No. 5 Corvette DP set the fastest time for the three-day Roar Before the 24 at Daytona International Speedway – the annual test that serves a dress rehearsal for the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Fittipaldi’s best time of 1:38.630 (129.940 mph) came in the Roar’s opening session Friday morning. The Brazilian led a contingent of Corvette DPs that held five of the six fastest speeds during the three days.

"We applied everything that we learned in the sessions we had prior to today – once in November and twice in the beginning of December," said Fittipaldi, who drove with full-season teammate Joao Barbosa and Sebastien Bourdais. "The car felt pretty good. I think that the track conditions were a little bit strange (with the changing weather). We need to make the best of it because when it comes down to race time, maybe we are going to have exactly the same stuff out there. I have raced here before where we have had even colder weather. So we pretty much need to be prepared for all kinds of stuff out there."

Richard Westbrook was second-quickest on the weekend in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP with a 1:38.989 (129.549 mph) lap. He drives with full-season teammate Michael Valiante and Mike Rockenfeller.

"It has been a very productive three days at Daytona for the Corvette Daytona Prototype teams in preparation for the Rolex 24 Hour race, said Jim Lutz, Chevrolet TUDOR Championship Daytona Prototype Program Manager. "All of the teams had the opportunity to work with the latest technical regulations IMSA has put in place thus far for the class. Every driver for each of the teams was able to get ample seat time throughout the three-day test.

"Additionally, the varying weather conditions have allowed the teams to work on setup for the numerous scenarios that can occur during the race. We know we will have to adjust to the final set of regulations prior to the race, but our Chevrolet teams made great progress during the weekend, and we feel like we have the reliability and preparation necessary for the race."

Chevrolet enters this year’s Rolex 24 off two consecutive DP engine manufacturer titles in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. The championship merged with the American Le Mans Series to create the TUDOR Championship, which features DPs as part of the top-level prototype class.

As the season continues following the Rolex 24 Hours the Corvette DP teams – Action Express, Spirit of Daytona, 2013 DP team champion Wayne Taylor Racing, GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing and Marsh Racing – will lead Chevrolet’s fight for additional victories and championships. Chevrolet ended Rolex Series competition with 20 Daytona Prototype victories – 16 by Corvette DPs since it debuted in 2011 – and nine in GT. The Bowtie brand also captured DP engine manufacturer championships in both 2012 and 2013, plus the 2011 GT title.

RICHARD WESTBROOK, NO. 90 SPIRIT OF DAYTONA CORVETTE DP

HOW DO YOU FEEL THE THREE DAYS OF TESTING HAVE GONE? "We have turned up with a really good car, and the team is working just great. I just have to really thank all the boys on the team. The new staff as well. Everything seems to be clicking into place. We've just kept our head down, fine-tuned and the results seem to be coming toward us. We have a really nice, comfortable car to drive that seems to be quick. Just really nice working with the two Michaels - Mike (Rockenfeller) and Michael (Valiante). There is a great atmosphere in the team. Looking forward to the 24 (Hours)."

IS IT GOOD FOR THE TEAM WHEN YOU TEST IN SUCH VARYING TEMPERATURES AND WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR THE RACE? "What was very encouraging is normally in our car, we're not very good in the heat. The hotter it gets, the worse we get. The car felt really good when it got hot. That is really encouraging."

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 10 WAYNE TAYLOR RACING CORVETTE DP

TALK ABOUT THE PROGRESS MADE WITH THE CAR HERE DURING THE THREE-DAY ROAR: "This is our first test really with all the updates. We did a test in December with half of the updates for the car, so now these three days we've really spent a lot of time getting to know what the car is going to be like this year. For the drivers, there is a little bit to get used to – mainly with braking. But for the engineers and the crew, they had a lot more to do just to understand the car; how it works and how to prepare for a 24-hour race. I think we did learn a lot. All the drivers are now comfortable in the cars. I think the crew has a much better understanding of what it is going to do for 24 hours and I think it makes us a lot more excited now that we know what to expect going into the 24 Hour."

MENTALLY WHAT DO YOU DO BETWEEN NOW AND WHEN YOU JUMP IN THE CAR FOR THE FIRST PRACTICE OF THE RACE WEEKEND? "We have data to go over. I think the biggest thing is mentally preparing for the long race. Obviously physical training. We have a lot of data to go over for drivers to get to know: maybe I am losing a little bit here; maybe I'm a little bit better there. On-board cameras to study. I always like to watch the previous year's race so every time I am around the TV, I'll turn it on to watch it and learn interesting passing places that you wouldn't really think of – where people are usually going off; where they are making passes in traffic. You can learn a lot from historical races."

RICKY TAYLOR, NO. 10 WAYNE TAYLOR RACING CORVETTE DP

TALK ABOUT THE CHANGING WEATHER DURING THE TEST AND HOW THAT HELPS PREPARING THE CAR FOR POSSIBILITIES DURING THE RACE: "It has helped the drivers I think. The team focuses on mostly the weather conditions that are going to be related to the race conditions. But the drivers through the 24 Hour go from daytime when it is normally warm, to nighttime and it is freezing cold, then to daytime when it warms up again. No matter what the car is setup to do, we have to be able to deal with all the conditions. We got a bit of everything this weekend, so if we have a car setup for the cold, we know what that is going to be like in the cold and then to the hot. And vice versa; if we have a car setup for the hot, we know what it is going to be like in the cold. So we know how to drive a good car and a bad car."

THERE ARE FOUR DRIVERS, ALL WITH DIFFERENT STYLES, PREFERENCES ETC. HOW HARD IS IT AND WHAT COMPROMISES DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE AS A DRIVER TO GET A CAR THAT WORKS FOR EVERYBODY? "There has been a little bit of compromise here and there – a little bit of differences in what we all want. But I don't think there has been much sacrifice. I think we still are improving the car more and more. We haven't taken any steps backward to suit a driver particularly. We are moving down a good road, and making the car a better race car."
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote