The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 05-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #61
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
How did your delivery go?

Ours didn't go so well. They put the storm door, which was simply in a cardboard box, on a flat bed 16 wheeler and then drove it all over and into Georgia before coming down here. They laid it FLAT on the floor of the flatbed, and from what I have heard, that is not good for a storm door to be laid like that for any length of time. The truck made it's first delivery just after 6am and didn't get here till about 6:15PM. So the full glass storm door was bouncing around on the bed of that truck for 12 hours. And they forgot to send the door handle that I had to order extra with that door. And that dry spell we have been having lately? It broke today, and of course it was pouring down raining when the delivery showed up at the end of our driveway. So the cardboard box was soaking wet. And already mushy and beginning to separate and coming apart. Along with the other noted issues, I just rejected the delivery entirely. Yeah the door is aluminum, but the hardware isn't and I just did not want things getting prematurely rusty after I got it hung on the front door frame. That box couldn't have been any wetter if it were under water. For the $79 delivery fee I paid, I expected better than that. I thought it would be delivered in a covered truck, not some open flat bed.

So I'm figuring it won't be any worse just picking it up in Connie's pickup truck. I contacted them via online chat and they will refund the delivery fee when we pick up the door and handle. Of course, I fully expect to show up there an no one will know a thing about this whole affair.

So we waited around all day for nothing. Well, at least I did get the oil and filter changed in the Jeep, so I did get something accomplished.

Now our biggest challenge will be to get that storm door hung while trying not to be eaten alive by the yellow flies. The last two years we were in Sanibel while the yellow flies were running rampant. It appears that they are trying to make up for lost time. They are not fooling around, and just zoom in and BITE. I had one chew on my arm and when I swatted it, it spurted out what looked like a few ounces of my blood.
Got the scope fine, but rained here today and looks cloudy for a week.

I hate them deer flies or yellow flies. I am by a marsh with saw grass on the gulf and get a few of them flying around on still eves with no wind and plenty of noseeums.

CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2018, 01:23 AM   #62
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Whatever happened with that big monster sized telescope you were planning on installing? Weren't you planning on pouring a slab for it or something? Sorry, my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

I've been trying to do some wide angle astrophotography with the new Nikon camera body I bought using a couple of lenses, but I'm not getting good results at all. Just too much graininess when I bump up the ISO values to try to bring out more of the fainter stars. I'm using a 50mm f1.4 lens so it should be able to collect a lot of light. I probably just need to play around with settings more, but it's kind of hard to concentrate out there on the garage apron with skeeters buzzing me. But it was pretty disappointing when none of the pictures I took look worth a damn to me.

We got 0.50 inch of rain today. Not as much as I had hoped for, but better than nothing. The entire rest of this week has some higher percentages of possible rain, but they can mean just getting bird spit amounts of rain, which doesn't help at all except to raise the humidity levels.

Something bit me good on the back of my left shoulder and I've got one heck of a welt there. I normally don't swell up from insect bites, but this one must have been one heck of a bite. The one yellow fly bite I mentioned earlier on my arm where I KNOW he took one heck of a bite didn't leave any welt at all.

But they are getting more ferocious and more numerous around here. Might not have been a real good idea to stay at home this year at this time of year. Not much fun feeling trapped inside the house with marauding flying teeth just waiting for us outside the doors. I've got three mosquito magnets running right now, as they will catch a bunch of the yellow flies, so hopefully they will help.
Unread 05-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #63
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Whatever happened with that big monster sized telescope you were planning on installing? Weren't you planning on pouring a slab for it or something? Sorry, my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

I've been trying to do some wide angle astrophotography with the new Nikon camera body I bought using a couple of lenses, but I'm not getting good results at all. Just too much graininess when I bump up the ISO values to try to bring out more of the fainter stars. I'm using a 50mm f1.4 lens so it should be able to collect a lot of light. I probably just need to play around with settings more, but it's kind of hard to concentrate out there on the garage apron with skeeters buzzing me. But it was pretty disappointing when none of the pictures I took look worth a damn to me.

We got 0.50 inch of rain today. Not as much as I had hoped for, but better than nothing. The entire rest of this week has some higher percentages of possible rain, but they can mean just getting bird spit amounts of rain, which doesn't help at all except to raise the humidity levels.

Something bit me good on the back of my left shoulder and I've got one heck of a welt there. I normally don't swell up from insect bites, but this one must have been one heck of a bite. The one yellow fly bite I mentioned earlier on my arm where I KNOW he took one heck of a bite didn't leave any welt at all.

But they are getting more ferocious and more numerous around here. Might not have been a real good idea to stay at home this year at this time of year. Not much fun feeling trapped inside the house with marauding flying teeth just waiting for us outside the doors. I've got three mosquito magnets running right now, as they will catch a bunch of the yellow flies, so hopefully they will help.
It was just too much for my back. I am done with monster size scopes..

I remember yellow flies getting bad in Aug up in the woods in Levy county near the gulf.
Unread 05-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #64
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
It was just too much for my back. I am done with monster size scopes..

I remember yellow flies getting bad in Aug up in the woods in Levy county near the gulf.
Yeah, I hear that. I've got a few lenses for my camera that have gotten a LOT heavier lately. It is REALLY tough to try to hold them steady any more. Kind of takes the fun out of taking a camera out to shoot if you have to tote along a tripod too.

Mid May and into June have always been the yellow fly season around here. Nasty little buggers.

We got more rain this morning that pushed the cumulative total up to 0.98 inches.
Unread 05-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #65
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Rain is missing me and more inland.
Unread 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #66
Rich Z

We got more rain overnight and during the day today. Rain gauge is showing 0.48 inches

Hope the rain drowned some of the yellow flies. It's getting to where we don't even want to put a foot outside, because it might get bitten off.
Unread 05-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #67
Rich Z

Getting more rain right now.

I walked outside to check the mosquito magnets and there are a lot of yellow flies buzzing around. Not so many within the traps, though, unfortunately. Not sure why, as they have been good about catching a lot of them in the past. Might be the "new and improved" net capture bags the manufacturer has come up with. They are a much stiffer material, and I have a devil of a time installing them without the front flaps nearly closing off access into the bags. I did find some older ones with a finer material in the back room of my building, so I replaced one in one of the traps to see if that makes a difference.

I wore a floppy hat and my windbreaker, which seemed to help a lot from keeping the flies from biting me.

With the rain, I can see where me being laid up with my thumb and wrist injured a little while back and not able to keep up the clearing with the hedge trimmer as a brush whacker is going to allow a lot of the weeds and brambles to stage a comeback. Not much chance I'll be able to do anything with the yellow flies attacking like they are. Too bad, as I was actually getting my arms used to the exercise, and will likely have to start all over again when I can resume the weed whacking.
Unread 05-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #68
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Up to 8" today 20 miles+ inland from me. Nothing for me on the gulf.
Unread 05-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #69
Rich Z

Wow! 8 inches is a lot of rain.

We got 0.80 inch here today.
Unread 05-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #70
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

For the past two days the National Weather Service has been predicting a tropical storm to come up the west side of Florida next week. Just in time for Memorial Day!