The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 10-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #91
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, and it's going to mostly be trial and error using lots of baby steps. It's not quite so tough if you have a mostly stock engine with a few bolt-ons to work on , but as Mike Carnahan told me, I'm probably using the worst case scenario to try to learn tuning on.
Unread 10-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #92
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

I learned on 408 motor. Did some minor playing around when it was stock motor.
Unread 10-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #93
Rich Z

Tune #2014_10_09_0002

Not logged.

B0101 - Main VE table - Lowered and smoothed low kPa and low RPM cells about 5 percent.

B3647 - Commanded Fuel vs RPM - 20-35 kPa & 0-1600 cells made leaner and smoothed.

B3616 - Normal PE Mode Enable (TPS%) - 1200-2000 sharpened the slope to enable PE at lower pedal position.

The first two tables were addressed to try to lean out low kPa (which is really HIGH vacuum, aka PSI) / low RPM cells. This resulted in smoother idle and low speed driving (surging reduced), but also raised engine idle speed while IN GEAR at bit as well. This causes a noticeable drop in rpm when the car comes to a dead stop. Not objectionable, and the higher rpm actually makes shifting easier at low speeds since the engine speed doesn't drop as much.

I think leaning out those low end cells is making the engine happier since it is running smoother and picking up RPMs as a result. So perhaps the AFT was too rich and the engine didn't like it much.

The B3616 table was to address throttle response, but there wasn't any noticeable change, pro or con, while driving. I may be barking up the wrong tree trying to work with Power Enrichment at those RPM levels.
Unread 10-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #94
Rich Z

Tune #2014_10_16_0003

Not logged.

B3306 - Cold Engine RPM Limiter (RPM) - 176 thru 284 coolant temperature changed from 5000 to 7000 rpm

B4315 - Throttle Follower Airflow - 0.51 thru 3.55 TPS% increased 20% and manually smoothed.

B4316 - Throttle Follower Airflow RPM Multiplier - increased from .17 to .18

Mostly played around with the throttle follower tables with the hopes of increasing throttle response. But the more I thought about it, the less I had hopes that this would do what I was hoping for. But I loaded the tune anyway, just to see what happens.

Actually it WAS an improvement, but not in the way I had expected.

From what I can gather, the throttle follower tables are the digital equivalent of the dashpot on a carburetor. For those of you who don't know what this does, it softens the release of the gas pedal to keep the plate from slamming shut abruptly and causing a sudden drop in engine rpm and subsequent power. Which would cause a possibly unexpected engine braking effect. So the dashpot acts as sort of a shock absorber in the way it works on engine rpm in relation to the gas pedal.

Anyway, what the changes I did to the tune seemed to slow down the engine rpm drop when I would take my foot off of the gas pedal. This seems to have made overall driving just a lot smoother. Since the engine doesn't drop RPM so quickly between shifts, shifting just seems overall smoother and not as jerky from the time I let of the gas pedal prior to engaging the clutch and then pressing the gas pedal again after releasing the clutch after the gear change. Coming to a dead stop seems smoother too as the engine RPM drops gradually and smoothly. I was also able to cruise on my dirt road at only 8 mph without any noticeable surging, so I guess the surging was caused by the PCM trying to use the throttle body plate (air flow) to hunt and peck for the desired RPM, and the swings were smoothed out when I slowed down the follower values.

And I think actually acceleration was improved a slight bit, since during shifting the RPMs didn't drop so much between shifts, so the subsequent pressure on the gas pedal wound up starting from a higher rpm level than before.

Perhaps looking at the throttle cracker tables might be worthwhile at this point.

So I've got the tune progressively better than before, in an unexpected manner, but apparently have to find a different tree to bark up for what I am really after. What I think I need to find is the digital equivalent of the accelerator pump. Seems to me I tried finding that before, with no success, but maybe I just need to keep on digging. I didn't think the throttle cracker tables would do that, but perhaps I'm mistaken and just need to try them. Or maybe there is no single table set for that function and it is a combination of two or more seemingly unrelated tables that will act in that manner. As can be seen, not much is glaringly obvious in this tuning stuff.
Unread 10-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #95
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Quote:
Yes sounds like they did not disable the "power enrichment delays" in your tune--There can be sometimes a 2 second delay in a stock tune
Also did they remove your TQ management ? your Abuse mgmt ? adjust your " ETC pedal TQ limit reduction " ??
All these things all reduce throttle response
Found this on corvetteforum from tblu92
Unread 10-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #96
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Also look at this modified table from this thread.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1580303497
Unread 10-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #97
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
Also look at this modified table from this thread.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1580303497
I actually emailed Chuck at CoW about what he is offering, but so far haven't gotten a reply. I think he may be out of town.

But if this is a tune that requires the PCM to be locked by him, not interested. I'm not turning over ownership of my PCM to anyone.
Unread 10-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #98
Rich Z

Quote:
Found this on corvetteforum from tblu92
Yeah, I've already removed any delays in PE and anything having to do with torque control.

Thanks!
Unread 10-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #99
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I actually emailed Chuck at CoW about what he is offering, but so far haven't gotten a reply. I think he may be out of town.

But if this is a tune that requires the PCM to be locked by him, not interested. I'm not turning over ownership of my PCM to anyone.
Have you played with that table?
Unread 10-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #100
Rich Z

Quote:
Have you played with that table?
Which table are you referring to?