The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Paint & Body Work Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Paint & Body Work Forum For those people interested in the specifics of doing paint and body work repairs and/or enhancements.

Unread 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road
Default beware dark bowling green metallic c5 owners

Well thanks to gm and their **** up of the paint code on the rpo sheet I now have 200.00 of useless paint. The rpo sheet show U9259 91u for the paint code. When talking to the paint store that code came up as a silver. So called dealership and gave the vin they said u9529 was the correct code. Well that's polo green that came on c4 cars. I did Internet research and corvette action center shows 9529 polo green for the car. So I thought safe bet to go with it. GM does like to rename colors for the sheer fun of it.

Found this thread too late.
http://m.corvetteforum.com/1583973979-post16.html

now I have to redo hood with correct paint code wa9539. Here's a pic of my rpo sheet showing their **** up. And I am not the only c5 with this mixed up number.

I know the color is correct on the car because I bought a used fuel door from aesautoparts and it matches the car to a tee

Unread 09-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

This is solved. It is a wa9539 paint code. Gm 47. Talking with the local paint supply place they had 5 versions of wa9539. So the first paint chip was slightly brighter. The second one was dead on with the door jamb. The explanation he gave which makes sense is at the plant they don't necessarily flush the lines between painting cars. So if the previous car was black then there will be some slight pigment left over thus mixing with the new color coming through.

Here's a pic of the paint code on the can. It is a dupont brand called diamont.

Unread 09-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
This is solved. It is a wa9539 paint code. Gm 47. Talking with the local paint supply place they had 5 versions of wa9539. So the first paint chip was slightly brighter. The second one was dead on with the door jamb. The explanation he gave which makes sense is at the plant they don't necessarily flush the lines between painting cars. So if the previous car was black then there will be some slight pigment left over thus mixing with the new color coming through.
That's actually a pretty scary thought. I know i've see quite a few electron blue cars and there is quite a difference between many of them. One reason I'm scared to death to put my tiger shark bumper fascia on is because I'm afraid they'll never match up the color correctly. And I'm not sure I'm ready to think about getting the entire car repainted.

Man, is there anything you can't do with these cars? As I said before, you seem pretty handy around these critters.
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

I didn't do the actual painting. I did all the other grunt work. Here's my thread detailing the hood painting

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...nting-car.html
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That's actually a pretty scary thought. I know i've see quite a few electron blue cars and there is quite a difference between many of them. One reason I'm scared to death to put my tiger shark bumper fascia on is because I'm afraid they'll never match up the color correctly. And I'm not sure I'm ready to think about getting the entire car repainted.

Man, is there anything you can't do with these cars? As I said before, you seem pretty handy around these critters.
You can do what I did and stop by the paint store and match the paint chips to the paint on your car like i did. Also paint supply stores have a digital gun that samples the paint t on your car, analyze it and give the code for the mixer to make. Not completely dead on but extremely close.