The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Corvette Clubs > Cape Kennedy Corvette Club

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Cape Kennedy Corvette Club The purpose of the club is to promote Corvettes, and to provide friendship with other Corvette owners in and around the State of Florida. We sponsor and promote rallies, autocross, civic and charitable activities and scholarships, car shows and caravans. To have owned a Corvette is our cause to exist!

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road
Default Corvettes and Space Shuttles!!

In 1981, which was the first year of the first flight of the Space Shuttle, began a new era when the C3 generation was just about to end.

The Space Shuttle era will end very soon (within a year most likely with mission delays) with the C6.

Befitting the photo opportunities given the other driver and myself to pose in front of Discovery on Launch Pad A, 19 March 2010, we mark the history of both the Space Shuttle and the Corvette by bookending with Shuttle program with the enclosed photo! The driver of the 1980 is Jerry Wojcieszak, married, and also owners of a 2004 roadster.
Attached Images

vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Photos to last a lifetime. Awesome
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Wow. I really like the photos. I would really like to get a photo of my vette like that. Is it possible? Thanks for any suggestions.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
vettejack

Default Unless access to the Launch Pad...

is loosened up a bit before final flight of the Shuttles, you won't have personal access to the Space Center. The only way to have your car pictured with the Orbiter like the ones I took, it for me to drive your car on the Center and then out to the Pad, while you wait at the Visitor Center or Badging Office. I know that sucks, but its really the only way to do it. I have done it once before...with Mr. Blue' s radical '66!!

Then thru this site and communications with me here, would the opportunity for such a photo be possible. All that depends on when the date and time is released for us to have another photo op for the final 3 missions after this one goes up in April. Keep in mind as well...it would take over an hour to use your car and do this out at the Pad and that includes the travel time back and forth from outside the gate.

A couple of more photos are included to tease u a bit...
Attached Images

Unread 03-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
THOR

Name :

Wow, thanks for the fast response. How do I check on when the shuttle is rolled out to the launch pad? They show the launch dates but I don't see the roll out dates. And what's the best way to contact you as the roll out dates come up? Thanks again. Mark
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
XQIZT
Defender of the C4's

Name :
XQIZT is on a distinguished road

WOW!! That would be a totally unique experience...need a photographer? I'll spend all day, in any weather for that opportunity!
XQIZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
vettejack

Default LOL...I don't need a photographer...

...but thanx for the offer in asking!

About 95% of the photos I've ever posted with the Corvettes that I own, or other owners, have been taken by me. Other cameras used usually belong to other individuals with me that also own Corvettes, and they work out here as well and have the same access codes I possess.

Rollout dates are scheduled, but change almost every mission...kinda like within 24 to 48 hours noticed in most cases. When the Shuttle does roll out, it takes about 6 to 7 hours to travel the 3.5 miles to Pad A. Once on the Pad, the Rotating Service Structure remains away for approx 6 to 8 hours...thus providing the first photo ops with nothing but Shuttle in view...after those 6 to 8 hours, the RSS is rolled into position, covering almost 90% of the Shuttle from sight. Approx 12 to 18 hours before launch, the RSS is once again rolled back to expose the Shuttle...presenting another opportunity, however, extremely limited and restricted for obvious reasons (but I have taken pics of my cars during that time).

Now, with the last 4 missions coming up (STS 131, Discovery, is on the Pad this very moment, scheduled for lift off at 0619 am EST, on the 5th of April), there is word that the photo ops will be increased, again, with very little notice. As time goes by for the the last 3 missions, I'll try and post rollout dates and times ("nix" if at night for rollout...no pics), and how long the RSS will remain retracted. Stay tuned to the CKCC post is all I can suggest.

Taking a picture of your car, and having the Shuttle in the background, will have to be done by me, or even maybe another fellow employee if he or she decided, or has the time, to help...and with your camera (I'll have my camera as a backup).

Again...these opportunities are determined by someone else with a higher pay grade than I have......so, it depends on a great deal of timing but most important of all, your availability as well!

I'll add this about any access to KSC...nothing is guranteed out here...any and all photo ops could be cancelled at the last moment...that means both u and I are taking great chances at life to hopefully get these shots. My opportunities obviously have greater odds of success.

Last edited by vettejack; 03-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
XQIZT
Defender of the C4's

Name :
XQIZT is on a distinguished road

Very cool. I'd certainly be interested in the opportunity to have mine posed in front of the shuttle...I'll keep my eye open for your updates
XQIZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
THOR

Name :

Thanks again for the info. I will keep watch on this thread and pm to you if the timing is right.
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
vettejack

Default STS 132 rollout...here's the latest....

Tuesday, the 13th of April, Atlantis rolls out of its Orbiter Processing Facility with first motion beginning at 0630 hours. It will rolling over to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) to be mated with its tank and rocket boosters.

On the 20th of April, the entire stack will begin rollout to Launch Pad A for STS 132. The stack should arrive on the Pad approx between the times of 0700 and 0800 hours. The RSS will remain retracted (thus exposing the entire Shuttle complex) when its considered in 'hard stand', and will remain retracted until 6 pm (1800 hours) that evening. The 20th will be the one and only photo op for this mission (unlike the 2 photo ops for Discovery just a few weeks ago).

Here's the rub...with the popularity of the last photo op that included the pics I posted here just a few weeks ago, there will be a review of procedures that allowed vehicles inside the fenced area of the Pad (it pissed a few people off I guess).

That is also a regular duty day for me...so, here how it might play out...there may be a change that no vehicles of any kind are allowed inside the gate...but nothing mentioned of being a few feet outside the gate for photo ops. Its maybe a 20 foot difference in distance, if that. We'll see.

As far as me getting your Vette posed, well, it will depend on the work day I have and what my committments I have to the safety of the Shuttle. Be advised as well...everything changes I wrote above on maintenance reliablity and weather...it can change without notice and then we'll have to catch up to those changes.

Either way folks....it will depend on how things transpire here...and how INSTANTLY available u are and IF we can get a photo op for your car (outside the gate if thats the course 'they' take).

Be patient...and be ready!!!