The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #2261
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised you have any hair left with all you've been through with this car. I feel for you. Question: I know you have a Centerforce clutch. Are ALL the parts Centerforce? Flywheel, PP, Slave Cylinder? Just wondering if something isn't matching up. When the Fidanza clutch in my Cadillac started having problems I did a lot of research finding that using the factory slave for the LS7 clutch that I went to had caused issues in other Caddys, I was referred to this guy, Mike at:

http://www.eastcoastvette.com/p-3928...and-sport.aspx

He knows his stuff. I got the complete kit from him and when I had SS Performance install it they said that they were expecting to have to shim it to make it work. But there was no need, it all worked as he said it would. Just throwing this out there. Good luck in any event.
Unread 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #2262
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I'm surprised you have any hair left with all you've been through with this car. I feel for you. Question: I know you have a Centerforce clutch. Are ALL the parts Centerforce? Flywheel, PP, Slave Cylinder? Just wondering if something isn't matching up. When the Fidanza clutch in my Cadillac started having problems I did a lot of research finding that using the factory slave for the LS7 clutch that I went to had caused issues in other Caddys, I was referred to this guy, Mike at:

http://www.eastcoastvette.com/p-3928...and-sport.aspx

He knows his stuff. I got the complete kit from him and when I had SS Performance install it they said that they were expecting to have to shim it to make it work. But there was no need, it all worked as he said it would. Just throwing this out there. Good luck in any event.
From what I recall, the flywheel was the one in the car when it went to the Chevy dealership, but reground and resurfaced. Now, I'm trying to think back exactly which flywheel was in there at the time. Harwood put in an aluminum Fidanza flywheel. Then when it was discovered by Aaron Scott that the Fidanza clutch that Harwood put in there was an underpowered one, and not the higher model I actually paid for, Harwood had to come up with the clutch I paid for. Which Aaron then installed I can't recall if the flywheel was replaced or not at that time, but I think it was because I really didn't like the aluminum one much. It was too tough, with all the other problems, pulling the car off the line with that light flywheel.

In any event, when the drivetrain failed because of the Pfadt oversized driveshaft, Shane at the Chevy dealership did the work and I'm sure he said he was going to have the flywheel resurfaced, or did he say he was going to replace the driveshaft with OEM because of all the other components getting damaged? My memory is hazy about that point. In any event, the pilot bearing (according to the part number on the invoice, he put a bearing in instead of a bushing) and the throwout bearing was OEM as well. Interesting to note, that the throwout bearing looking like it was my original one from when I first took the car into Harwood's shop. I have no idea why Aaron would have left that in the car when that second Fidanza clutch was changed out.

Got too many details starting to turn to mush in my head over this, I guess. Most of it is likely documented in this thread, though, so I guess I could find the answers if I dig hard enough.

Addendum, I checked the invoice from the Chevy dealership and it states that a used flywheel that was resurfaced was put in the car. Not real crazy about that, but it is what it is. In any event, at the next upcoming clutch install, that flywheel is coming out of there anyway.

I believe the path I will be taking is to have the clutch assembly, flywheel, pilot bushing, and slave cylinder/throwout bearing ALL replaced. Even if I can find someone who can accurately diagnose the problem and if it comes to something like a torque tube bearing or transmission input shaft bearing, I STILL might have that clutch stuff replaced anyway, since the drivetrain would mostly have to come out anyway. Heck, if someone says it could be either A, B, or C, I might just say replace them ALL and be done with it. It will cost me a couple of social security checks, but heck, I'm just tired of the headache and want my car so I can drive it with a smile on my face. Even while testing it today, when those turbos kick in, it definitely puts a smile on my face even with this nagging headache.

Oh, and yeah, I guess I can blame the lost foliage on my head over this crap. I guess any excuse will do.
Unread 06-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #2263
85vette

Name :

What type of engine block do you have? Just curious. I have an LSA clutch assembly that was a take off from a Caddy CTS V. The 556 HP variety.
Unread 06-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #2264
85vette

Name :

Never mind. I keep forgetting that you have the Corvette rear tranny. O well.....
Unread 06-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #2265
Rich Z

Just to answer your question, it's a 427 block made by RHS.

And yeah, that torque tube certainly does complicate a clutch change. Even worse would be to just have a $10 pilot bearing go out on you and be slapped with the labor bill just to replace that little inexpensive part.
Unread 06-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #2266
Rich Z

I took some video when I took the car out for a test drive the other day to test for evidence of a bad pilot bearing. But as you will see in the video, the drive was pretty much noise free. Except from the exhaust, of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3b5ol3bQo&t

Actually, except for a minor squeal when coming out of my driveway, you would never think there was a drivetrain noise problem at all.

Oh yeah, this is the first time I have taken any video with the new GoPro Hero 6 camera I got a while back. Seemed to do a pretty decent job. I guess image stabilization was enabled, because the video seems very smooth and stable to me.
Unread 06-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #2267
85vette

Name :

Sounds good!
Unread 06-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #2268
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Sounds good!
Thanks!

Yeah, it does sound pretty good. A friend of mine has a 63 Chevy Impala that he is restoring and modifying. He just loves the sound of that C5Z and badly wants his car to sound the same way. I've never heard the car from the outside, and he says I REALLY need to do that.
Unread 06-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #2269
85vette

Name :

I agree! The only times I heard my Caddy and not been driving it was when my wife would drive it to work when her car was getting maintenance done on it and MAN did it sound great! I could only imagine how it would sound if she was getting on it.
Unread 06-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #2270
mrr23
The Alignment Guy

Name : Robert J Hinton
mrr23 is on a distinguished road

which is why i like the remote start on my camaro.

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports