• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Anyone drop an LS6 into a C5 here?

chris308

spam sniper
humor me... :D

I'm doing some thinking for the very far future here, but if for whatever reason my LS1 gives up the ghost, i may go the LS6 route instead of dropping in another LS1. I think the 6 will be a little more financially aquireable than the 7 is the reason why i probably wont go that way. Anyone done one recently? Worthwhile? Hows the installation like on this kind of swap? What else needs to bought to make the swap? i.e clutch, flywheel, fuel system...

thanks. :thumbsup:

I may be WAY off base here, but I would think the LS6 would be a simple drop in replacement for the LS1.

An LS6 would be a straight bolt-in. However, I'm not sure they're still available as service replacements. Engines are typically only available for a relatively short time after they go out of regular production. After that you get a "generic" replacement of one sort or another.

What you might could do instead is install an '05-06 LS2. Basically the same thing, only with more cubes and torque. Those are available complete, pan to throttle body, for $5500 from Scoggin-Dickey and others. I believe the only change necessary is you have to buy a couple of small adapter harnesses for the electronics for about $150.

Try calling Greg at AntiVenom. One of his specialties is swapping LSx engines into non-LSx cars, so he's well up on what fits with what.

Or of course you could buy a shortblock, longblock, or complete engine from an aftermarket builder, but then that's not "factory".

You might consider choosing a local guy to do the install first (assuming you're not doing it yourself), and then have him recommend a source and possibly even order the engine for you. There's much more "ownership" of the job that way.

hmmm, looks like i gots some more learnin to do...

i was under the impression that the;

97-04 LS1 = C5 coupe,vert,FRC
01-04 LS2 = C5 ZO6
05-07 LS6 = C6 coupe vert
05-07 LS7 = C6 ZO6

is this not correct

No, not quite...

97-04 LS1 = C5 coupe,vert,FRC
01-04 LS6 = C5 ZO6
05-07 LS2 = C6 coupe vert
06-07 LS7 = C6 ZO6 (I don't believe there was a C6 Z06 in 2005)

:banghead:

man, i've been backwards for awhile now!! :D

ok, so like Gannet pointed out, I was looking into the LS2 swap.

I don't remember a LS7. Also i thought a LS-1 and LS6 was the same engine , but the LS6 had better heads and cam.

Chas

Back