The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Last of the cold, hopefully, for this Winter

The last two nights temps dropped down to 33 or 34 degrees, so fortunately not as cold as they were predicting off an on over the past week or so. We had to cover some of the younger citrus as they were putting out blooms, and also covered Connie's pineapple plants. Doesn't look like anything got damaged.

So hopefully Spring can get on with it.
Unread 03-08-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Never even got in the 30's this winter at my place. Never saw a winter without 30's ever. It has warmed up so much since 2011.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Rich Z

Yeah, when we moved down here in 1991 we had winters here that even got down into the teens. The way things are going we might even be able to grow coconut trees here sometime.
Unread 03-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, when we moved down here in 1991 we had winters here that even got down into the teens. The way things are going we might even be able to grow coconut trees here sometime.
Coconuts are growing 30 miles more to the north than they were in 1981.

Should have been here in the 80's when Tampa had a low of 19f in 1983 on Xmas day.
Unread 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Coconuts are growing 30 miles more to the north than they were in 1981.

Should have been here in the 80's when Tampa had a low of 19f in 1983 on Xmas day.
I'll bet that day did a real number on the citrus groves in Florida.

We actually brought back a couple of coconuts from Sanibel that had begun sprouting. They didn't last through the first night that got below 40 degrees or so. I didn't cover them because I didn't think that was cold enough to harm them, but they were as dead as doornails afterwards.

Also brought home some seeds from a staghorn acacia tree. Connie got two of them well started and they were getting too big to move into the garage during the colder nights. Hoped they would be hardy enough, so we put them into the ground in an area that was facing south at a tree line and should have been pretty sheltered there. Nope. First night that went below freezing last year kicked their butts but good. Not even the roots remained afterwards.

Now I do have some tropical clumping bamboo that I bought from a guy in Tampa many years ago. Used to be it would get killed back every Winter, but for the last several winters, none of the leaves are getting any damage whatsoever. This is a rather large bamboo, at least from what I saw in Tampa, and it is getting larger every year. But I expect the next REALLY cold spell will kick it back substantially.

I guess more frequent and stronger hurricanes could get to be a real nuisance, but so far I am liking this global warming thing. It's shorts weather out today, although I am still in my jeans.
Unread 03-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I'll bet that day did a real number on the citrus groves in Florida.

We actually brought back a couple of coconuts from Sanibel that had begun sprouting. They didn't last through the first night that got below 40 degrees or so. I didn't cover them because I didn't think that was cold enough to harm them, but they were as dead as doornails afterwards.

Also brought home some seeds from a staghorn acacia tree. Connie got two of them well started and they were getting too big to move into the garage during the colder nights. Hoped they would be hardy enough, so we put them into the ground in an area that was facing south at a tree line and should have been pretty sheltered there. Nope. First night that went below freezing last year kicked their butts but good. Not even the roots remained afterwards.

Cit
Now I do have some tropical clumping bamboo that I bought from a guy in Tampa many years ago. Used to be it would get killed back every Winter, but for the last several winters, none of the leaves are getting any damage whatsoever. This is a rather large bamboo, at least from what I saw in Tampa, and it is getting larger every year. But I expect the next REALLY cold spell will kick it back substantially.

I guess more frequent and stronger hurricanes could get to be a real nuisance, but so far I am liking this global warming thing. It's shorts weather out today, although I am still in my jeans.
Citrus got wiped pretty much by greening sickness in most of FL since 2005. Every tree in my hood died years ago as did mine. I gave up on them.

Coconuts can't take below 27f for more than a few hours.

We had year after year of lows around 19 to 25f in 1981, 82, 83, 84. 85 and a 86. Then after 1989 that was it other than 2010.