The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough
Default I must be a Republican!

As seen on "Yahoo" news,

• Candidates to Cuba: Release prisoners By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Writer
41 minutes ago

Presidential candidates Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain called for the release of political prisoners in Cuba following Fidel Castro's resignation Tuesday.

All three candidates also said the United States should look for ways to encourage democratic reforms in Cuba.

"We need a president who will work with countries around the world — Europe, Western hemisphere — to push Cuba now to join the community of nations and become a democracy, and I will certainly do that as president," Clinton told patrons at a diner in Parma, Ohio, where she is campaigning ahead of the state's March 4 Democratic primary.

In a statement released by her campaign, the New York senator said that if elected president, "I will engage our partners in Latin America and Europe who have a strong stake in seeing a peaceful transition to democracy in Cuba, and who want very much for the United States to play a constructive role to that end. The United States must pursue an active policy that does everything possible to advance the cause of freedom, democracy and opportunity in Cuba."

Obama, who is waging a hard-fought campaign with Clinton for the Democratic nomination, also urged that the U.S. be prepared to take steps to normalize relations with Cuba and to ease the trade embargo of the last five decades if the Cuban leadership "begins opening Cuba to meaningful democratic change."

Castro's resignation "should mark the end of a dark era in Cuba's history. ... Fidel Castro's stepping down is an essential first step, but it is sadly insufficient in bringing freedom to Cuba," Obama, an Illinois senator, said in a statement.

"Cuba's future should be determined by the Cuban people and not by an anti-democratic successor regime," Obama said. "The prompt release of all prisoners of conscience wrongly jailed for standing up for the basic freedoms too long denied to the Cuban people would mark an important break with the past. It's time for these heroes to be released."

Republican McCain underscored that "freedom for the Cuban people is not yet at hand" despite Castro's resignation.

"We must press the Cuban regime to release all political prisoners unconditionally, to legalize all political parties, labor unions and free media, and to schedule internationally monitored elections," the Arizona senator said in a statement.

"Cuba's transition to democracy is inevitable; it is a matter of when not if. With the resignation of Fidel Castro, the Cuban people have an opportunity to move forward and continue pushing for the moment that they will truly be free. America can and should help hasten the sparking of freedom in Cuba. The Cuban people have waited long enough."

The ailing, 81-year-old Castro resigned as Cuba's president after nearly a half-century in power. His 76-year-old brother Raul, who has hinted at political reforms, has been ruling in his place since June 2006.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who significantly trails McCain in the contest for the GOP nomination, was pessimistic regarding the opportunity for democratic reforms as a result of Castro's stepping down.

"Until Fidel Castro is dead, there can be no significant movement towards reform in Cuba," Huckabee said in a statement. "Raul Castro has proven that he's as much a tyrant and dictator as his brother, Fidel. Simply providing more power to another dictator does nothing to promote freedom and democracy to the Cuban people."

Be careful what you ask for!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I'd love visit Cuba some day,I think it would be very intreasting. VISIT
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah. Cuba is missing out in a small fortune in tourism.
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah. Cuba is missing out in a small fortune in tourism.
Although their tourism is not what it could be, they do get alot of tourist dollars from Canada, Europe and Asia. We seem to be the only ones out of the picture.

Would like to see it myself one day when it is free & democratic. I was 5 years old when I left (50 years ago)...
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
Although their tourism is not what it could be, they do get alot of tourist dollars from Canada, Europe and Asia. We seem to be the only ones out of the picture.

Would like to see it myself one day when it is free & democratic. I was 5 years old when I left (50 years ago)...
Hey, thats intreasting .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post

He's 100% right!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote