Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Welcome Room Member introductions

Unread 12-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I didn't take it that way.

But be that as it may, it has been the "Christmas" holiday since i was a kid, and political correctness be damned, that is certainly not going to change here.
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Hameister

Name :
Hameister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I didn't take it that way.

But be that as it may, it has been the "Christmas" holiday since i was a kid, and political correctness be damned, that is certainly not going to change here.

That was my whole point. On another site, I said Merry Christmas and someone responded, highlighting the word "Christmas", and telling me I should say Happy Holidays.

Then here, I simply used the time honored anacronym of "Xmas", and that was highlighted in red, and linked to Christ in red, clearly making the suggestion that I should have said "Christmas", instead of Xmas.

This whole PC thing on the Right, as well as the Left, is going to be the death of us all.

Only last week when I described a woman who is 4' 10" as short, it was quickly pointed out by her best friend that I should have been sensitive enough to simply say that she was "vertically challenged". What BS.

I won't say I'm old, but I will admit to waiting 53 years for my first Corvette!
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Rich Z

Yeah, complete and total BS, in my opinion. Facts are facts, truth is truth. Just deal with it. Dancing around with terms doesn't make anyone less short, less fat, change their race, or alter their appearances in any way. Heck, my last name is Zuchowski and I've heard every Polish joke in the universe. Many times over. Am I supposed to get offended in some way? Hah! I laugh at the good ones even after hearing it for the twentieth time.

People just need to get over themselves thinking they need some sort of magical protective coating around them shielding them from reality. Just look in the mirror. There you are. Deal with it.
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

No sir! I was not offended- and if I offended you in any way, I apologize for that. My comment was not to insinuate that you think it the way I think it.

If it's of any matter, when I see "Xmas" I am reminded of the "movement" -for lack of a better word- from years ago, to remove Christ from Christmas- hence the X to strike out Christ. Although many folk do, I never thought of "Xmas" as an acronym but instead as an attempt to sterilize the true meaning of Christmas.

But I grew up attending Catholic schools and spent a lot of those years as an altar boy so I guess I am messed up anyway.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Hameister

Name :
Hameister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, complete and total BS, in my opinion. Facts are facts, truth is truth. Just deal with it. Dancing around with terms doesn't make anyone less short, less fat, change their race, or alter their appearances in any way. Heck, my last name is Zuchowski and I've heard every Polish joke in the universe. Many times over. Am I supposed to get offended in some way? Hah! I laugh at the good ones even after hearing it for the twentieth time.

People just need to get over themselves thinking they need some sort of magical protective coating around them shielding them from reality. Just look in the mirror. There you are. Deal with it.

I couldn't agree more! Just this morning I was watching a TV show in which a Latino woman, about 25 years of age, has started a movement to make the "i" word offensive. What is the "i" word you ask?

She and her group of loons, wants everyone to stop saying "i"llegal aliens, and start referring to these folks are "undocumented workers". That makes them more socially acceptable, because using the word illegal conjures up visions of criminals. When it was pointed out that someone who enters this country illegally is in fact a criminal, she called that person a racist. This is insane in my opinion.

My wife is from Colombia. She waited many years to obtain her American citizenship, and SHE calls people who are here illegally, illegal aliens. My wife is beginning to think this whole country has gone mad, and I tend to agree with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRestoredRoadster View Post
No sir! I was not offended- and if I offended you in any way, I apologize for that. My comment was not to insinuate that you think it the way I think it.

If it's of any matter, when I see "Xmas" I am reminded of the "movement" -for lack of a better word- from years ago, to remove Christ from Christmas- hence the X to strike out Christ. Although many folk do, I never thought of "Xmas" as an acronym but instead as an attempt to sterilize the true meaning of Christmas.

But I grew up attending Catholic schools and spent a lot of those years as an altar boy so I guess I am messed up anyway.
Nope, didn't offend me at all, but I could tell that something was going on in your head, and apparently it was the "X" thing.

My experience has been entirely different. I'm a Ham Radio Operator, and many years ago operated RTTY, (radio teletype), and CW, (Morse Code). We were always looking for ways to abbreviate words to make sending text faster.

We'd send "ur" instead of your, and "c" instead of see, or sea, depending on what was appropriate. We'd use tnx for thanks, and xmitr for transmitter, and "..." for please stand-by. It was also an adopted way of saying Merry Christmas, to send "xmas".

When we printed out cards from this text, Xmas was a very common thing to see. You on the other had, have had a completely different experience with it.

It's kinda funny, my wife is Catholic, and I'm Jewish. We often have to explain the meaning behind each others culture, and religion, but we both find political correctness mind boggling.

I won't say I'm old, but I will admit to waiting 53 years for my first Corvette!
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
I couldn't agree more! Just this morning I was watching a TV show in which a Latino woman, about 25 years of age, has started a movement to make the "i" word offensive. What is the "i" word you ask?

She and her group of loons, wants everyone to stop saying "i"llegal aliens, and start referring to these folks are "undocumented workers". That makes them more socially acceptable, because using the word illegal conjures up visions of criminals. When it was pointed out that someone who enters this country illegally is in fact a criminal, she called that person a racist. This is insane in my opinion.

My wife is from Colombia. She waited many years to obtain her American citizenship, and SHE calls people who are here illegally, illegal aliens. My wife is beginning to think this whole country has gone mad, and I tend to agree with her.
"Criminal" is NOT a race........