The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road
Default Check Engine Light

Three weeks ago I was on the road and saw the "Check Engine Light" on and a message on the dic "Check Gas Cap". I stopped, opened the gas cap, reset the message and went on but the check engine light stayed on.

Took the car to a Chevy dealer and was told that in fact it was the gas cap. Charged me $70 or so dollars and I was on my way.

Yesterday, the check engine light came on again, but no dic message.
I made an appoinment to bring the car in on Wednesday to see what's going on. By coincidence, both times, I have been low on fuel. I wonder if something more than the gas cap is creating a problem.

Anyone had this problem or heard anything about it?

Lou
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

If memory serves me correct which I hope its working, if your low on fuel and its hot the tank/s will pressurize and push on the gas cap causing the light to come on. Someone mentioned to me the fuel keeps the pumps cool which when creating less heat, less pressure.

I dont see why the dealer charged you 70 bucks, my mom had the same problem on her 04 Impala couple months ago, with no extended warranty, they replaced it for free.
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

What he said.

70bucks

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Lou G

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. AntiVenom View Post
What he said.

70bucks
Yeah! That was for labor, checking the engine light code and a new gas cap.
I am out of the 3yr. warrantee but have the GM extended warrantee with a $100 deductible unless the charge is less than $100.
Going to the dealer tomorrow. Will let you what they say or do.
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Wilzer

Name :
Wilzer has disabled reputation

You didn't happen to see what code came up did you?
Wilzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Lou G

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilzer View Post
You didn't happen to see what code came up did you?
Just got back from the dealer. Today it was a 40 or 440. Supposed to be a bad vent solenoid. They don't have it in stock so I have to go back next week to get replaced. The previous code was a 39 or 439. I overheard them talking but not sure of the number.
I'll find out when I go back next week.
Thanks.
Lou
Unread 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Well if it turns out to be a bad solenoid Id be asking for your 70 dollars back for the supposed "bad" gas cap. I love places that charge you for the off the top of head problem, then its something else which theyll want to charge you for as well. If they dont, Id be calling the customer service line.
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Wilzer

Name :
Wilzer has disabled reputation

Lou, I confess to having a self interest in your problem, or should I say our mutual problem. I am getting the check engine light that my mechanic cleared and said if it comes on again, he will look more but the code was for a solenoid in the evaporative emissions system. He likes to wait on minor stuff before chargin in, that's why he has been my mechanic for over 20 years. Anyway, I also had the DIC check gas cap warning a few weeks before and it cleared when I adjusted the gas cap. The funny thing is that the check engine light has never come on when I am driving, only when technicians are driving - happened twice and both times some one else was driving. I Googled evaporative emissions check engine and found the problem is GM wide and also on some imports - the thing about our Vettes is some of the system is buried deep within the body. I think the canister (someone please chime in and help) is located on the rear starboard (passenger) side and that may be where the solenoid is. I also came across several instances of the plug to the solenoid being the problem so make sure it is not the plug. There is some procedure where they blow "smoke" in the evap emis system to see if there is a vacuum leak, the dealership was quick to suggest that. I called them because there was a statement that GM had an extended warranty on emissions systems that went to 80,000 miles and they do but it only covers the cat converter, SOL again.

So, I am hoping it is the solenoid that can be easily reached, or plug, and that cures the problem, otherwise to find a leak in the system, I think you will will have to pull the left rear wheel and take out the liner to get to the hoses that connect to the gas fill.

Sorry for the long winded rant, Please let me know what happens and I will do the same

Will
Wilzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

[quote=LS2POWA;9 If they dont, Id be calling the customer service line.[/QUOTE]I think you call your senator now rather than customer service.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Lou G

Name :

Thanks Wilzer. Got a call this morning that the part is in. Going tomorrow to have it replaced. Will make sure to mention to check the plug to the solenoid.
Will get back here and let you know what took place.