The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 08-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default HPTuners or EFILive?

Anyone using either of these two programs? I'm thinking about getting one, but not sure which one would be "best". Both seem well liked by people using them, so maybe either would be sufficient. EFILive has a pending upgrade last time I checked, so I'm not sure how far that one is from being released. I think HPTuners just had a new upgrade not that long ago.

But one question I have in mind is how useful these programs would be WITHOUT a wideband O2 sensor? Honestly, there just is no practical way for me to get under my car to dink around with the sensors, so what I have in place is what I am going to have to use. I've heard you can use a through the tailpipe sensor, but if you have cats it will throw off the readings.

So would getting one of these $600 programs be just a waste of time and money?
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
SRQC5
The Self-Proclaimed King

Name :
SRQC5 is on a distinguished road

They are both very good in different respects. the more popular seems to be HP tuners. Here are some useful links: (1st is a PDF)
http://mysite.verizon.net/whenn1/HPTUNERSvsEFILIVE.pdf
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...uners+efi+live

these programs come with a certain number of user accounts so you can get access to one of those for cheep from someone who already has the software (as it was explained to me). Even without wideband, both are better than the LS1 edit.

SRQC5

P.S. Excellent site By the way. thanks for the invitation. Ill look forward to spending alot of time on this forum.
SRQC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Rich, I know FRC TOM uses HP Tuners. I haven't seen him in a while. He was having issues with his transmission I know.

Ivo was thinking about getting and learning HP Tuners as well.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Rich Z

I've been to both of the forums for those products, and HPTuners appears to definitely have a larger customer base. I like the idea of EFILive's where it appears that they are developing a handheld along with the PC based program to work in conjunction. But unless I am mistaken, it appears the HPTuners does do black box logging so you don't have to lug the laptop out to the vehicle to do data logging. I'm not sure if you can use the cable box to do flashes to the PCM without having the laptop attached, however. Just haven't had time to look real hard at the two products spec sheets. EFILive does have a testdrive program you can download, which is a nice touch, which HPTuners does not offer. But I think EFILive is having some big problems with their latest upgrade, so they just may be out of the running for that fact alone.

I bought some books recently to dig into the background info of what makes these new fangled motors tick, so maybe I will have a better understanding of what is going on. Not too keen on playing trial and error if I could smoke the engine in the process.

Oh yeah, another plus for HPTuners is that they take PayPal. I always think of PayPal as being play money, so this definitely helps out......
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Pro Street

Name :
Pro Street is on a distinguished road

I just bought HPTuners last week.I have a Predator on my vette but did not do what I wanted.I will be tuning a 2004 GMC with the LQ9 6.0L 345 HP-a 2004 Escalade with the LQ9 6.0L 345HP and my 2002 Vette.I have started on the GMC tune and have it almost dialed in.I like being able to log and come back home and look at the log.With the Predator you just get part of the picture.I can not say anything about EFLive because I have not used it but I do like HPTuners so far!
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Rich Z

I have a little gizmo called "CarChip" that does data logging for me, but it can only capture 4 data streams at a time from a list of options. Does HPTuners capture everything, or do you have to select from a list of options that limit the number of streams as well? The CarChip only samples as often as every 5 seconds, and I would like a quicker sample rate as well.

This stuff is probably on their website, but darn I just can't find the time to wade through the screens to try to figure it out.

Thanks.
Unread 09-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Rich Z

Well all things considered, I ordered a copy of HPTuners and was amazed that it showed up in about 2 days. Came from a Florida address, so I guess that explains the speedy shipment. Haven't had a chance to do much more then open the box, however. No sort of manual included so I guess either there is one on the CD (which I HATE! - I like PAPER manuals, please!), or I will have to hunt around on their website for a Getting Started tutorial.

I'm actually looking for another laptop to load this software on. I have a Gateway, but it just seems heavy and bulky. Plus it must have the slowest harddrive in the universe in it as it takes FOREVER to load up Windows. Saw a really nifty little 3 or 4 pound notebook at Sam's the other day that I may get for this purpose. But I did see a bigger Toshiba that had an incredible graphics screen display.
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Pro Street

Name :

I bought a Dell laptop a few weeks ago to run HPTuners on.It was the one on sale with free printer and it has 15" widescreen-DVD-wireless card and it works great but it is kinda heavy.I am new to the tuning also.I have tuned my 2004 GMC VHO 6.0L(345HP) and it is running good.I had a SuperChips programmer on it before.I can tell I have a better tune than what it had with the SC's.I have just started on my 2002 vette so it had a Predator before.
Good Luck.I have a few links for tuning if you would like them.I am still learning and would like to get a wide band O2 now.I guess the buying never stops!
Unread 09-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Rich Z

Yeah man, I would appreciate the links. I bought some books about tuning and engine management theory, but just finding the time to flip the pages is tough to do.

Thanks.
Unread 09-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #10
Pro Street

Name :
http://www.turbofirebird.com/Tuning/...3/Default.aspx
http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.h...to_user_sd.htm
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...dit/tuning.htm
http://ls1lt1.com/forum/faq.php?faq=...q_pcmtuningpt1
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...rtrain_module/
Here is a few to get you started.