The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 06-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I saw those pics. Looks like the hood will need to be even higher then with a Maggie sitting on top of the engine. Just from an eyecandy standpoint, I think the Maggie LOOKS better to me.
Unread 06-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road

We had a chance to do a Kenne-bell, but the kit was'nt ready yet so the customer opted for the STS instead. It made Vette magazine. Have'nt done a Mag in quite some time as the STS has been the hottest thing going lately. The Ford guys have been changing their Eaton units out for Kenne-bell units for a while.....the Mag uses an Eaton, So.....maybe the Kenne-bell is better. We may not know for quite some time. Personally, after driving many different superchargers and different turbos, I will always prefer the turbo cars. I get tired of changing belts on prochargers anyway and I know Tom got really tired of it.
Anti Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #13
Rich Z

What is it about the STS that makes you put it at top of your list? I thought I saw that the air cleaners are tucked up under the rear bumpers. Is that right?

And I thought I also heard that this was the most expensive of the FI options, is that true?
Unread 06-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #14
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
What is it about the STS that makes you put it at top of your list? I thought I saw that the air cleaners are tucked up under the rear bumpers. Is that right?

And I thought I also heard that this was the most expensive of the FI options, is that true?
Yes, the air filters are in the rear bumper. These are at the top of my list because after trying many other combinations, we found this to be an awesome setup with few drawbacks, after doing a few in house revisions, it became virtually flawless. Just think......you want more boost?.....turn a knob and the boost is raised. For your other question.....this will piss a few people off.....It is more expensive than a blower. A Corvette is more expensive than a Camaro......but what did everyone here buy? Why? Because it is better? The most expensive way is what Tom did, buy a blower, drive it for a while, then change to an STS kit. He did'nt do this as a fad thing. He got tired of the blower. Many reasons there. He is much happier with turbocharging. I am not saying to not buy a supercharger here, I still like them too. I am just saying that if it were my car there is no way that I would pick a blower over a turbo. I have driven them both.
Unread 06-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Rich Z

Well I agree to an extent. But if money were no object, maybe we would all have Lamborghinis or Maseratis instead of Corvettes.

So the cost/performance ratio is always going to be a consideration for us without unlimited funds.

I am familiar with the differences in how each works, and certainly some will like one over the other depending on their own personal preferences. So what, in your opinion, makes the STS system head and shoulders over what a supercharger can provide for you? Since you have driven both, obviously your opinion would carry a LOT of weight in my opinion.

And this also is why I am asking about the Kenne Bell, because it appears to be a step above over the Maggie, and perhaps the ProCharger units as well. So this is a new hat thrown into the ring that needs to be considered.

Thanks.
Unread 06-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

Well, Rich I think that you gort my point. I compared Corvette money to Camaro money. Same engine/ similar performance. Different cost. And you know where the differences lie. As far as cost between STS and most blowers, I feel that the cost difference is not very large. I always like the Procharger way over a mag unit. It is very hard to describe the feeling that the turbo gives over the supercharger. It is much more linear and the boost comes on stronger. The turbo by nature, is actually required to dump exhaust pressure in order not to boost too much. Until that level is reached the turbo will work really hard. An 8lb system will run just like a 15lb system at lower rpms all parts being equal. When the 8lb point is reached, the wastegate will open venting exhaust pressure no longer allowing more than 8 lbs of boost. On a supercharger this is all done with pulley size. Different pulleys will act differently at all rpms. If at some point you become bored with your current boost level, you must change the pulley and belt on S/C but with turbo, you can use a boost controller from the driver's seat. change back and forth at any time. Of course, you could become your own worst enemy wanting more boost than your engine can handle. Yes, in a beauty contest the Mag or Kenne bell will always win, but form should follow function. There are also savings in the turbo that most people forget about. For the STS, you do not require headers! In fact, you will lose heat through the headers. You want heat in the exhaust to make the turbos spool quicker. Smoother flow does not matter much in the exhaust when you are trying to cram it all through those turbo exhaust housings.
Unread 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
Rich Z

Interesting.....

Well I had my headers Jet Hot coated for exactly that reason. I didn't want heat escaping into the engine compartment unduly and to be directed out of the tailpipes. I was a bit discouraged to discover that the catalytic converters were not coated, but come to find out that the cat manufacturers will actually void the warranty if you coat the cats. Something to do with the cats retaining TOO MUCH heat and therefore burning out the "guts". So with your comment about headers in mind, does the Jet Hot coating help in respect to header compatibility with the STS, or is it insignificant?

Further, what about exhaust pipe diameters? Are bigger or smaller better to spin the turbos? Mine are 3 inches all the way down to the flange that connects to the muffler pipes, which necks down to 2.5 inches. Are three inch pipes better or worse for driving the turbos?
Unread 06-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #18
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

The coating on headers helps greatly. 2.5 pipes are best for high exhaust velocity, BUT...the car featured in Vette magazine had headers and 3 inch pipes which neck down to 2.5 not unlike your current setup. That car did 600 rwhp at 10 psi. 525 at 8 psi.
Unread 06-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #19
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

I just want to reiterate what Greg is saying in that to much boost is gonna ruin your day if your engine isn't up to the task. I looked at the STS early on but it wasn't ready yet for the C5. I went with a Maggie for a few reasons one being reliability. Its pretty much a daily driver with the extra ponies when you want it and without the hassles of the belt issues of the centrifugal units. I just had my first Maggie related issue and that was the Magnavolt box went nuts and caused the fuel pump to run continuously. It is still under the 3 yr warranty so thats not the issue and pretty much it was just more a PITA than anything..car was still driveable and got me home from NC and up to Norris for the fix and a pulley swap This is basically as far as I can go now without getting into the motor..new pully will put me at 8psi ..final numbers not in yet but when I last talked to Mike it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 475/475 +/- on either side. My goal was never to have a 600rwhp street car but a fun daily driver....the turbos and centrifugals certainly are capable of more power but without getting into the motor I couldn't justify having something that would make the power if I couldn't use it.

JMO...
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #20
Rich Z

Yeah, I guess that is kind of along my own thinking. I'm a pretty conservative driver, so I certainly don't need 800 hp for a street vehicle. I would probably be breaking things in the drivetrain anyway, which is not my idea of fun.

So all things considered, what is the TOP hp that a stock Z06 drivetrain can safely handle without getting into breakage problems? Yeah I know it depends on how you drive, so let's set that variable to some 55 year old guy who just enjoys the car and doesn't care one whit about beating someone from one stoplight to the next.

Honestly, I don't want more horsepower if it means more downtime because the power shreds a rear end or tranny. I know the rear tires are kind of a fuse for that sort of thing since they will be the first to break loose from what they are designed to do. But still, I don't think the stock parts were designed to have unlimited stresses applied to them.