The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default Hospitals and guns

I've had the (unfortunate) necessity to visit the Florida Hospital Flagler on more than a few occasions and to my chagrin always noticed the 'NO FIREARMS" signs plastered on each entry door. I was there yesterday and didn't see any signs on any door at any of the entrances.

I had been under the impression that carrying in a hospital is against the law- even with a license. Is it that the law changed? or Is it that the signs don't have to be posted any longer?

Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

As best I understand it, hospitals are under no special considerations as far as concealed carry is concerned. Realistically they are a private business, much like Home Depot or Sears. So although they may make it a POLICY of "no guns" allowed there, they can't charge you for any crime if you choose to do so.

As far as I know, anyway.
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
As best I understand it, hospitals are under no special considerations as far as concealed carry is concerned. Realistically they are a private business, much like Home Depot or Sears. So although they may make it a POLICY of "no guns" allowed there, they can't charge you for any crime if you choose to do so.
I thought because the facility housed so many meds, and something about the treating of mentally and emotionally "challenged" patients, that a hospital's property was off limits to guns. I questioned it because this is the first time I noticed the absence of the "NO FIREARMS" signs. I was kinda hoping for some gun-attitude change for the positive.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Rich Z

Seems to me I recall a hardware store chain that used to have a "NO GUNS" sign on their doors a while back. But there was an discussion making the rounds that if they did not allow their patrons to carry a means of self defense that was legal outside of their property, then they assumed an implied responsibility for any illegal activity and resultant injuries that took place upon their property that the patrons were then powerless to defend against because of that corporate policy.

Soon afterwards those signs came down.

Possibly this is the case with the hospital as well.
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post

I agree
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

even if they had signs they hold no legal weight. all they can do is ask you yo leave, at that point if you choose not to then they can change you with armed trespass.

Archbold in Thomasville has recently plastered these signs on their doors,

my wife works there and was irritated that I still carried when I meet her for lunch some times. I told her that sign means no revolvers, and I don't carry a revolver so I am good....

but I did have a good conversation with the head of security about it about 10 years ago when I worked there and he agreed they had no legal leg to stand on, BUT there are so many people, I mean sheeple, that will just roll over and comply that the administration decided to have the signs installed.
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Rich Z

Quite frankly, if I were inclined to engage in criminal activity, those places that attempt to voluntarily disarm the people there would be my first picks as places to commit my crimes. Actually places that are ILLEGAL to have guns would be my absolute first choice simply because it puts a defending victim at a distinct disadvantage. They have to choose between being robbed, or spending huge sums of money for attorney fees for breaking the law. Which means that being robbed would actually be the cheaper of the options available to them. And they might actually wind up in the same jail cell with me if they either shoot me, or decide to hold me a gun point waiting for the police to arrive. So that really puts the odds in my favor.