The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRestoredRoadster View Post
No liquid, a bar! One would shape the clay to conform to a "holder", of sorts and then attach that to the polisher. Works well.
I've never tried it that way. Sure seems like it would be easier on the arms!
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Rich Z

Speaking of claybars, I discovered something maybe helpful to someone today. One of the problems with using the claybar is that if you drop it onto the ground, most people recommend that you just throw it away, because if it is contaminated with sand or anything at all abrasive, using it again can likely damage your paint job with scratches inflicted by the grit picked up by that dropped claybar. Well, use a rubber glove while using the claybar, and it's going to be pretty darn tough to drop that lump of clay, because it will tend to adhere to the glove. Matter of fact, you will likely have to peel the claybar off of the glove when you are done. So you don't have to worry about it getting slippery in your bare hands and slipping to the ground.

BTW, plain old H2O works fine as a lubricant for the claybar. Using anything fancy is really just a waste of time and money. Just keep the surface of both the bar and the paint surface wet, and you won't have any problems with the bar sticking to the paint. Just don't STOP moving the bar and allow it to come to rest on the paint surface, because then it likely WILL stick.
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

great advice about the rubber glove. I do use detail spray because it seems to lubricate and be slippier than water. Both work well as long as you don't let the clay bar sit on the paint for any length of time. And don't rub hard either.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Did mine about a year and a half ago, and noticed a dramatic difference as well.
Might be time to do it again..........
Andy
WORD
Unread 06-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I know this is an old thread BUT.I've watched You Tube on how to clay bar your car .I won't start with the Vett but I will do my daily driver Ford Fiesta because it needs it,small and if things go bad
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #16
Rich Z

I don't think the clay bars are really all that abrasive to get you in trouble with using them. But it appears that some do come in assorted grits. However the only designations I've seen to tell you what sort of grit one bar might have instead of another is that some bars are recommended for light colored paint jobs and others for darker colors. Most don't make any sort of distinction, so I'm not sure if it really makes any difference, and any company making such a distinction is really just doing this as a marketing ploy to sell more clay bars to people who have both light and dark colored vehicles.

The only issues I have seen is that those suckers are slippery little devils when they are wet, and holding onto them can be a challenge. But the trick with using a rubber glove seems to have solved that.

Seriously, put your hand in one of those fold over closing plastic sandwich bags and run it over your paint surface lightly. If it's not as perfectly smooth feeling, then it's likely time to clay bar you car. Do this BEFORE polishing the paint surface. Otherwise the junk in your paint you feel with your hand gets into the polishing medium and can cause you some headaches.

Heck, now that I'm thinking of it, I probably need to check the cars myself sometime soon to see if they need the claybar treatment.
Unread 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Yep it's time to re-do mine too. BTW I really like the glove idea. Will have to try that our this time.