The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Firearms and Other Weapons

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Firearms and Other Weapons Had a request for this forum, so here it is. Guess it will give me some place to talk about guns myself after selling my ArmsLocker forum.

View Poll Results: Do you have a Concealed Weapons Permit (CCW)?
Yes, I do. 52 88.14%
No, but been meaning to get one. 7 11.86%
No, don't see the need for one. 0 0%
No, but I carry anyway. 0 0%
No, and no one should have guns, much less carry them in public. 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Steve,

May I also suggest that she (preferaby all of you) take a short course (a few hours max) in weapon retention, and disarmament.
Make sure your instructor has some background in the subject matter, and not just some "black belt" that saw this somewhere....I've seen some scary stuff being taught out here

While a weapon is nice to have, there's always the potential for your opponent to remove your weapon and use it against you.
Many LEO's nationwide, are killed with thier own weapons.

It's a short, simple, and with the right instructor, very fun and enjoyable course.
I've had ladies come into my class saying "I could never do that!", and come out grinning like a cheshire cat with a whole new feeling of confidence in thier abilities with thier weapon.

BTW...welcome back
Thanks for the Welcome Back

We all took self defense classes about 10 or 12 yrs ago, that's a great idea to do it again with a qualified instructor. We have more to learn than self defense, now we have our own weapon to retain.

Steve

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #32
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Thanks for the Welcome Back

We all took self defense classes about 10 or 12 yrs ago, that's a great idea to do it again with a qualified instructor. We have more to learn than self defense, now we have our own weapon to retain.

Steve
That's the point
Self defense and weapon retention/disarmament are two different animals.

I've practiced, fought and other wise been involved in various martial arts, since I was about 18.

I've seen and heard some of the most rediculous (and dangerous) comments, come from the mouths of "experts."
In some cases, the information they provided would get you hurt or killed.

It worked well in katas, and sparring, but on the street, you'd get your ass handed to you...or worse.

Unless the instructor has a specific background (more than his/her art form) in weapon retention/disarmament (they go hand and hand), and/or tactics, stay away from them.
Find someone that knows what they're doing to learn from.
Then practice, practice, practice, until you can do it in your sleep.

She'll be surprised how much confidence and comfort that will give her with the weapon

If you find someone over there you're interested in going to, give me a shout. I'll be happy to check out the 'Creds."

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #33
C6Flatfoot

Name :
C6Flatfoot has disabled reputation

A popular thread for sure.....

I am a LEO since 1977 and have always carried, feeling it a duty to do so as a sworn officer.

When I retire in three months I will continue to carry as a free American citizen (HR218 and Florida CCP) as long as I am able to hit what I aim at.

It is imperative that all persons who carry are confident in their ability to safely handle, fire, and maintain their weapon. There is no excuse for not doing so.

One of the big problems in the community I work in, and I'm certain that it happens all around the country, is gun owners leaving their firearm in their unattended, and often unlocked vehicle, and having them stolen. These are usually gun owners who don't have a CCP and therefore don't take responsibility for their firearm ownership.

If you carry...get to the range and practice once in awhile. It sounds like everyone here does that.

Good thread
Good cars
Good people

I like this forum.
C6Flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #34
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Excellent post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Flatfoot View Post
A popular thread for sure.....

I am a LEO since 1977 and have always carried, feeling it a duty to do so as a sworn officer.
We started the same year

Quote:
When I retire in three months I will continue to carry as a free American citizen (HR218 and Florida CCP) as long as I am able to hit what I aim at.
I know that all to well
Got out of practice for a short time. The resulting #'s were ugly to say the least!

Quote:
It is imperative that all persons who carry are confident in their ability to safely handle, fire, and maintain their weapon. There is no excuse for not doing so.
Agreed 100%
Needs to well above and beyond the almost worthless CCP offerings out there.

Quote:
One of the big problems in the community I work in, and I'm certain that it happens all around the country, is gun owners leaving their firearm in their unattended, and often unlocked vehicle, and having them stolen. These are usually gun owners who don't have a CCP and therefore don't take responsibility for their firearm ownership.
Unfortunately, we've had that same thing happen to countless LEO's nationwide.

Quote:
If you carry...get to the range and practice once in awhile. It sounds like everyone here does that.
Excellent advise!

Quote:
Good thread
Good cars
Good people

I like this forum.
aboard sir. Kick back and enjoy the ride

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #35
THUNDER
Rideing in style

Name : Chris Plato
THUNDER is on a distinguished road

i know this is old but yes i have one
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #36
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

The last option in the pole reminds me of the lady at Wal-Mart about a week ago.
I was on my cell phone using my bluetooth headset taking to a friend about the 357 revolver that my son had gotten. A lady in the isle turned her cart around and said she was going the other way because she didn't want to near some gun nut. I looked at her and said you better leave.... You're in Wal-Mart and aren't most that shop here gun nuts. After all the largest army in the world is the American hunter.

I wanted to start following her around the store to mess with her, but I knew better. But it did make me laugh.

Steve

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #37
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation
Default Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

I had a (worthless) carry permit in NY. As soon as I knew I was relocating to the great state of Florida and while we were having our house built here, I got a non-resident CWP figuring I could carry when here during my 4 or 5 visits during construction of the house. Glad I did because the housing market tanked and selling the house in NY was a drag and took longer than originally planned so we were "visiting" our new house for 3 years after it was completed and before we actually moved in full time. At least I had the CWP for when I was visiting. My first priority when living here permanently was to have it amended to "resident" -
My Glock Mod 19 is like the American Express card - I never leave home without it- the Glock, that is.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #38
THUNDER
Rideing in style

Name : Chris Plato
THUNDER is on a distinguished road

As soon as i can afford it i want another highly modef hk p-90, and another modded ar-308.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

"It worked well in katas, and sparring, but on the street, you'd get your ass handed to you...or worse."

Shadow this statement brought back a great memory. On my first leave after graduating from Airborne Training (1967) our DI told a group of us " now that you think your the Baddest Ass on earth with all that training, be careful when you go into town those Rednecks will hurt you."
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #40
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannings View Post
"It worked well in katas, and sparring, but on the street, you'd get your ass handed to you...or worse."

Shadow this statement brought back a great memory. On my first leave after graduating from Airborne Training (1967) our DI told a group of us " now that you think your the Baddest Ass on earth with all that training, be careful when you go into town those Rednecks will hurt you."
I did mine in 1997. 30 yrs later nothing has changed.
2004 Z06 Corvette Z16 Commemorative Edition #770
2004 Silverado LS 5.3L SWB
1969 Camaro SS RS 396/350HP TH400

Members I have met:
LEJ_ZO6, JCB_NJB, als2052, Phil @ Tampa Tuning, Riceman, C5CHICK, Kap142
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote