The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 07-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Nikon CoolPix P900

OK, I just got this thing, and still learning the ropes with the settings, but I wanted to show a pic that I took last night with it...

This thing has a lens on it with the 35mm equivalent of 24 to 2000mm. With a modest digital zoom boost of 4x, you now have a handheld camera package with an 8000mm lens on it. For only $600!!!

That is just outrageous!

I'll post more as I take more pics and feel I have the settings the way I want them. But initial impressions are that this is one darn impressive piece of equipment.
Unread 07-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Rich Z

Here's a pic at the highest magnification the camera could muster with the digital zoom.

This one is not cropped from a larger image. That is "as is" from the camera.

And here's one when I backed off a bit even from the optical zoom.

I ordered a beginner's astrophotography package which includes a tripod and motorized head to track the motion of the Earth and keep celestial objects in the center of the camera lens. Theoretically anyway. The package was only $170, so it's certainly not anything top of the line. I'll have to see how difficult it is aligning the thing and how accurate it is. If it's too time consuming and I have to stand out with the skeeters chewing on me for too long, then I'll have to figure out something else. But if it does work, I think I'll get a lot better pics using it. I did try a 1080P video with this P900, but it was obvious that my hands are introducing a lot of shake. So I at least need something that will allow me to take pics "hands off".

At least these initial photos I took showed me that I'm in the ballpark to getting some really nice photos if everything falls into place.

I've often though off an on that I wanted to get a decent telescope, but in reality I am in the middle of the woods and have a very limited view of the skyline. Pretty much straight up is all I've got. Fortunately I was able to get a view of the moon right over my house by standing in a small spot in my front yard. But it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Most of the time the moon is obscured by trees. Unfortunately, I don't think I will have another opportunity for a good moon view after that astro package comes in till maybe next month. The moon will be waning, and the spot it needs to be for my viewing will be in the wee hours of the morning till the next cycle.
Unread 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Rich Z

From a practical standpoint, and showing what this camera can do with more mundane subjects, the following pics were taken HAND HELD from my porch.

This one is at 24mm and I was just shooting off hand to get a feel for the camera.

Then I tried out the zoom and spotted a "subject" that I didn't see earlier.

How about an even closer look?

All the pics are "as is" from the camera without any cropping or other post processing. I just shrank them down to a more manageable size and put my copyright notice on them.

You can definitely see softness creeping into the pic at higher magnification, but I think at least some of that will be from the slight camera motion being hand held. The camera seems to have pretty decent optical stabilization, but still, probably nothing beats a tripod for those long shots. Still, not bad, all things considered.
Unread 07-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Nice pictures Rich! Looks like you are in for some fun trying to figure out
how to use the new toy. Good luck with it!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Rich Z

Saw some birds at the bird feeder today, so I took out the P900 and shot some video from the porch.

Too bad this camera doesn't do 4K, but I guess the 1080P/60 does an OK job.
Unread 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

I like that video. How far from the porch is the bird feeder?
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor66Vette View Post
I like that video. How far from the porch is the bird feeder?
32 feet. I was curious myself, now that you mention it, so I measured.
Unread 07-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
Rich Z

Last night the clouds broke apart at the right place and right time, giving me a really good clear shot at the moon right over the house. The place I needed to be in the front yard was extremely obvious since it was so much brighter there than where the shadows of all the trees were obscuring the moon. So I dragged out the tripod and set the P900 up on it to take some video of the moon. Seems to me that the "scene" option on the camera for "Moon" does nothing more than just delay the start of video and photos a couple of seconds to allow the movement of the camera after pressing the button to die down. Of course, this does nothing at all for trying to work the zoom lever or when you are trying to shut down the video. I did leave one instance of this out of the edited strips to show the motion.

Except for me having to swat the mosquitoes it was very easy getting these video clips. I left the audio in because of the nature sounds all around me at that time of night. Or maybe the microphone picked up aliens conversations on the moon. Who knows?

Anyway, made a couple of passes of the moon by trying to position the camera so it would pass where I wanted it to be in the frame. Seemed to work out pretty well even when I zoomed to the max setting.

Still can't get over the fact that I can get videos and photos like this from a relatively inexpensive hand holdable camera. I remember trying to get a good pic of the moon with my old 35mm stuff many years ago and I never could get anything very satisfying. This P900 makes it as easy as falling off a log.
Unread 07-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

That transition at 51/52 seconds is smooth.

... And at 244 seconds
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #10
Rich Z

Oh yeah, I'm learning a new video editor while I am at it. Sony dropped support for Windows Vista, so I had to move on to something else that can handle 4K processing AND is compatible with my desktop OS. So I am now working with CyberLink PowerDirector. So far it seems pretty capable and hasn't had the intermittent crashes I used to get with Vegas Pro.