The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 11-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
USA-1

Name :
USA-1 is on a distinguished road
Default road-trip to Garlits' Museum 1/28/07

In early October of this year, a group of Corvette-owners gathered at Orlando Speed World Dragway, having a BBQ while running their cars at a Friday evening 'test-n-tune' session:
that event was so well-enjoyed that Forum-members litevette and Red 69 have announced another gathering at OSWD on Sunday, December 3, as part of that track's "Funday-Sunday" program.

With the Holidays just a few weeks after that, and wanting to continue 'keeping-in-touch' over the Winter, we are organizing a road-trip on Sunday January 28, from the Orlando area, to Don "Big Daddy" Garlits' Museum of Drag Racing, near Ocala

http://www.garlits.com/

where some historic drag-racing vehicles have been retsored and are on-display:
with it's huge parking-lot, we can travel caravan-style if we desire, and have ample & safe parking while visiting the Museum.....
if rain is forecasted that day, we can bring our daily-drivers instead.

After our visit, we will probably find a steak-house/rib-joint/pizza-parlor near the Museum for a late-lunch and bench-racing/lie-telling, before heading for home.

We will probably meet near the I-4/Turnpike junction that morning, and be traveling the Florida Turnpike from Orlando to I-75, then North to the Museum, which is located right-off I-75 @ Exit 341:
we can pick-up interested Corvette-owners as we proceed North along the way.

I would think if we can meet @ I-4/Turnpike around 9:00 AM that morning, we should easily arrive at the Museum by 10:30 AM, giving us plenty of time to visit the Museum and it's gift-shop:
this visit isn't 'ONLY' for Corvette-owners from the Orlando-area, as anybody is welcome to join us @ the Museum from other locales in Florida.

Garlits-himself has told me that if we can bring 10-or-more visitors, we will receive a $3-per-person discount upon entering the Museum:
those interested in joining us should please sign-in here, so we can finalize plans and confirm our intentions with Large Father beforehand.
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
fuzzy dice

Name :
fuzzy dice has disabled reputation

Count me in and a buddy of mine from Lake Wales wants in as well...I would be glad to organize a meet up at an I-4 rest stop for those of us coming from the east coast...
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
USA-1

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy dice
...I would be glad to organize a meet up at an I-4 rest stop for those of us coming from the east coast...
..... does a meet at I-4/Turnpike at 9:00 AM sound acceptable/feasible to you, Herr Funk-meister ?
Unread 11-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
dogboy99

Name :
dogboy99 has disabled reputation

This sounds like fun and the weather that time of year is great for a cruise. I have never been to the museum so I look foward to visiting the home of "Big Daddy". Meet up at rest area sounds fine.
dogboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

You know, the wife and I drive by that place whenever we drive up and down 75 on our way down south from here, but have never stopped in. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to do so.....
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
USA-1

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
..... have never stopped in. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to do so.....
Rich, Large has some of his earliest dragsters, the front-engined car that blew part of his foot-off, leading him to design the first successful rear-engined car, his 'Side-winder' (transverse motor-mounted ) dragster, some early Funny Cars, and anything you can imagine:
perhaps his most-famous car, Swamp Rat XXX, which performed this 'blow-over' in New Jersey in July '86

is not at the Museum, being on semi-permenant display at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

BERNADETTE and I stopped-off on our way here in Feb '06, but only had 40 minutes before they closed that day, so I am looking forward to 'WALKING' -through this time.
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
CREWZIN

Name :
CREWZIN is on a distinguished road

Count me in! I'm only about 45 minutes west of Garlit's Museum so I'll just cruise over and meet you all there.

87 Dark Red Metallic Coupe. L98 Auto, 143,000 smilin miles.
Black 17" Z06 Motorsport Wheels, Muffler Eliminators, "Y" pipe w/o pre-cats, K&N with open lid, TB Flow Booster, Big Mouth Performance Air Dam, Vette Connection Stage II Chip. Citrus County Corvette Club
CREWZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road
Default Sounds like fun! Tampa crew, let's go!

The Garlits museum is Great! We've only been once and drove past a couple of times this year, making me think it's time for a return trip.

Let's see if we can't get some of the Tampa and Pinellas crew to drive up together. Where's Jim Kill?
BC3/Quicktime/DSS/Pfadt/Carbotech/Quantum/Muffler Mod/PS2 ZPs, Atomic Orange, Dark Titanium 3LZ, Q8A.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default 2 more... Guess we'll meet ya's there.

Looks like we're going to show up as well. We live pretty close (20-30 minutes away), yet we've never been there.?

Ray
ynkedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
fuzzy dice

Name :
fuzzy dice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-1
..... does a meet at I-4/Turnpike at 9:00 AM sound acceptable/feasible to you, Herr Funk-meister ?
That sounds fine to me...there is a rest area on the Turnpike called "Turkey Lake Service Plaza" which is only a couple of miles north of I-4 on the Turnpike...might be a good place to hook up...I have a PDF map but can't get it hosted to post here...oh well...