The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Corvette security options?

As best I can figure, my Z had some sort of synchronization problem with the column lock circuitry when I got the car. When I got it, I was getting the "Service Column Lock" message everytime I started it up and the steering wheel would not lock when the ignition was turned off. I thought that it had already had the column lock bypass done to it by the previous owner. Well evidently when I had the headers installed, the battery had been disconnected, and when reconnected the circuitry reset itself.

So after hearing all the horror stories about the column lock refusing to unlock, I purchased a CLB myself. Haven't installed it yet, but I'm thinking about the implications. I am defeating a security feature of the car. In other words, I am now going to make it EASIER for someone to steal.

Is this wise to do? I am pretty sure that Corvettes are pretty high on the list of people looking for vehicles to steal.

But what are my options? Yes I am aware that a determined thief can steal anything if given enough time. And in fact, ALL security devices can be defeated. The idea is for any protection to produce enough delay such that it increases the likelihood that the thief will either give up rather then spend the time and effort necessary for fear of getting caught red handed.

I bought a steering wheel lock bar which seems very robust. Not "The Club" but very similar in operation. Are these effective deterrents? How about the LEO members here? What do you say works the best?
Unread 06-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

The steering wheel bars can be defeated in about 20 seconds. They use a hacksaw and cut the steering wheel itself, then bend it to let the bar fall out. In my opinion the best thing is a kill switch hidden somewhere (like a factory switch that needs to be flippeed or such) along with a "pedal jack". The pedal jack lifts the clutch pedal off the floor which won't allow the swich to engage the starter. When the key is turned a properly working factory system requires the clutch to be depressed. Automatics have a metal box that can lock over the shift knob which will allow the car to start but the thief cannot get the car to shift out of park. The thief cannot push the button down on the shifter so the car does not move.

All of this is for naught if the thief is using a flatbed tow truck like in some major citys.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
sigarms

Name :
sigarms has disabled reputation

No doubt a FLAT BED TOW TRUCK is king.
A steering wheel CLUB can be removed in 20 seconds or LESS.
A profesional with all 15 keys and a unprotected vette can enter and drive away in 60 seconds or LESS.
I decided not to carry a car load of locks,bars,cables and alarms and only use a couple of things that I hoped would put the percentage of risk in my favor. I do long range cruising and this is what I use on the road:

=pedal jack=
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...d=1079&sc=3364

=steering wheel lock=
http://www.steadfastautosecurity.com/masterlock.htm

=chicago boot=
http://www.immobilize.com/index.htm

I have on order the new key hole cover from Southern Car Parts. It's small and might scare off some teenager.
http://www.southerncarparts.com/

And probably the best of all I will take another class this summer at the USA SIGARMS manufacturing facility and training Academy in Exeter N.H.

Last edited by sigarms; 06-04-2006 at 05:03 AM.
sigarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 02:50 AM   #4
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms
And probably the best of all I will take another class this summer at SIGARMS Weapons Academy in Exeter N.H.
Yeah man. Car jacking can get a perpetrator killed in Florida with that new Castle Doctrine on the books. One of these days I need to scope out the inside to see where a good place to mount a holster would be. Of course, with that news about the C6s popping off the glued on roof, it could be embarrassing to fire a round and have the pressure pop the roof off on you. Not to mention firing a round in a car will put a serious hurt on your eardrums.
Unread 06-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I have a security guard for my Z.

[IMG][/IMG]
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton
I have a security guard for my Z.

[IMG][/IMG]
Mark, please tell me that this was not one of your college, "go ugly early" conquests?
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

GPS trigger. If my Z is moved more than 5 ft. without disarming the trigger, the car blows up taking everyone within a 50 foot radius with it. GEEEEZ, I'll miss that car
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile
GPS trigger. If my Z is moved more than 5 ft. without disarming the trigger, the car blows up taking everyone within a 50 foot radius with it. GEEEEZ, I'll miss that car
Uh, don't forget to disarm it when you get in one morning. You'll be backing out of the driveway thinking, "darn, I just KNOW I am forgetting something......"
Unread 06-05-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

There is a story of a guy in Denver,Co that went to a concert.He said that he had parked his car in this parking lot before.The parking lot had a Security guard, but when he returned to his car to leave his 01 Vert. was gone.You know the parking lot security guard says that they are not responable for car: .So even in a parking lot with a security guard your car is not safe.
9T8Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Rich Z

How come I could never find a job where I wasn't held responsible for actually doing it?