The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Hot!!

Damn.... just before noontime and it is already 95.0 degrees according to my weather station. "Feels like" is showing 113.2 degrees.

And climbing...

I think it will be a good idea to just stay inside today and do continuous checking on the air conditioning.
Unread 09-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Thurs and Fri was insane here with 80+ dews. Sat morning was nice with a low of 73f and a dewpoint of 67f. Now it is 92f and a dew point of 78f. No rain in days and none coming for a while. The west season will be over in about 2 weeks anyways.
CHASZ51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
Rich Z

It is 95.5 degrees right now. "Feels like" at 112.8. Dewpoint is 78.4 degrees.

I went outside for a little bit but decided I didn't want to stay there.
Unread 09-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Hope we have a fall in Oct.
Unread 09-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Rich Z

Man, talk about waving a red flag in front of Murphy's legal team!

The house air conditioning died today. Connie noticed that the thermostat was reading 82 degrees even though it was set for 80. Everything mechanically is working, but the air coming out of the AC vents is 83.5 degrees, so obviously cold air isn't being generated. Compressor housing outside looks ok, with no ice formed to clog the vents. Fan is moving, and the air handler up in the attic is seemingly working. Air temp inside the house is holding pretty steady at 82.2 degrees even though it is 100.8 degrees up in the attic. So the AC must be generating some cold air, otherwise I'm sure we would be getting much hotter air coming out of the vents.

Luckily the entire unit is still under the 10 year warranty, but I'm betting with all this heat we have been having, the AC company is going to likely be slammed with calls tomorrow morning. We are paying a maintenance contract with what they call their "Red Carpet Service" so hopefully that will mean that we have some sort of priority and someone can get out here early on Monday. If not by mid day it's going to be right toasty in here.

I did leave a message with their voice mail, but no telling how many calls might be in front of me.

At least this didn't happen Friday night as usually happens with stuff like that. Even with the warranty, they still charge by the hour ($100 per hour) for after hours emergency service.

Sure seems like one thing after another. I guess this is why people will rent instead of owning their own home. After a while just fixing things that break down gets pretty old.
Unread 09-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Man, talk about waving a red flag in front of Murphy's legal team!

The house air conditioning died today. Connie noticed that the thermostat was reading 82 degrees even though it was set for 80. Everything mechanically is working, but the air coming out of the AC vents is 83.5 degrees, so obviously cold air isn't being generated. Compressor housing outside looks ok, with no ice formed to clog the vents. Fan is moving, and the air handler up in the attic is seemingly working. Air temp inside the house is holding pretty steady at 82.2 degrees even though it is 100.8 degrees up in the attic. So the AC must be generating some cold air, otherwise I'm sure we would be getting much hotter air coming out of the vents.

Luckily the entire unit is still under the 10 year warranty, but I'm betting with all this heat we have been having, the AC company is going to likely be slammed with calls tomorrow morning. We are paying a maintenance contract with what they call their "Red Carpet Service" so hopefully that will mean that we have some sort of priority and someone can get out here early on Monday. If not by mid day it's going to be right toasty in here.

I did leave a message with their voice mail, but no telling how many calls might be in front of me.

At least this didn't happen Friday night as usually happens with stuff like that. Even with the warranty, they still charge by the hour ($100 per hour) for after hours emergency service.

Sure seems like one thing after another. I guess this is why people will rent instead of owning their own home. After a while just fixing things that break down gets pretty old.
I keep a portable A/C unit in my bedroom to help cool it at nite for about a hour. My room is always around 82f while the rest of the house is 78. My room is also 4 degrees cooler in the winter. I am gonna look into a window unit for next May for my bedroom.

So if the main A/C goes out i always have my bedroom unit.
I had my fridge go out 6 weeks ago after 14 years. Then my A/C stopped working for a day and then i powered it back on the next day and it worked.

Had the power go out and it must have done something for that day, i tried everything to get it to work.
Unread 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
Rich Z

Yeah, sheet just happens.

just this past week I had to basically refill the AC system in Connie's truck. Earlier I had added just a small bit of freon, and from the gauges, I thought the compressor was just dead. I was actually watching videos of replacing the compressor on YouTube when I decided from what I was seeing was that maybe I just wasn't aggressive enough with the freon charging. Used nearly 2 cans to get the gauges where they were supposed to be, more or less. But at least it is blowing cold air now.

We really didn't notice the AC going out in her truck, so that just struck me as odd. I checked for leaks as I put UV detection fluid in there a little while back, but I didn't see anything obvious. Looks like maybe some slight leaking at the accumulator, but not enough to empty all the freon real quickly. I suppose that sooner or later I am going to be trying my hand at doing a major overhaul of that AC system. Never done it before, but if it's broken already, what do I have to lose by trying?

Seems like something is always breaking. Was glad to get that generator fixed and off of my shoulders, but surely something else will come along. Can't wait to see what I may have to do when I finally get the C5Z back home. The guy seems really conscientious and competent, but I have thought that before about people working on that car.

I do have a portable AC in the garage, which I guess I can relocate to the bedroom if it winds up being days before they can get out here to fix the home AC. It's rather noisy, though. Bought it a couple of months ago, and been meaning to buy another one to replace it with and take that noisy one back to Home Depot for a refund.

Ughh. Temperature is climbing in here. Up to 82.6 degrees now in the family room where the sensor is located.

Can't really open up the windows as the humidity outside has been hitting 96 to 97 percent. That would just make things feel worse in here when all the humidity came in.
Unread 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Rich Z

Had the AC tech show up this afternoon, and found that a brazed joint in the copper tubing going to the compressor had sprung a sizable leak. Temps were hitting 86 degrees in the house by then, so it was starting to get a bit uncomfortable. But he silver soldered the joint, tested pressure, then evacuated all the air from the system and recharged it with freon. Luckily it was all under that 10 year warranty we got when it was originally installed.

Last night it wasn't too uncomfortable sleeping, but I think tonight might have been a bit worse.

If you ever want to truly appreciate air conditioning, turn it off for a day when it is 96 degrees outside and humidity about the same. Will make you want to look up Willis Carrier's grave site and lay some flowers upon it.
Unread 09-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Had the AC tech show up this afternoon, and found that a brazed joint in the copper tubing going to the compressor had sprung a sizable leak. Temps were hitting 86 degrees in the house by then, so it was starting to get a bit uncomfortable. But he silver soldered the joint, tested pressure, then evacuated all the air from the system and recharged it with freon. Luckily it was all under that 10 year warranty we got when it was originally installed.

Last night it wasn't too uncomfortable sleeping, but I think tonight might have been a bit worse.

If you ever want to truly appreciate air conditioning, turn it off for a day when it is 96 degrees outside and humidity about the same. Will make you want to look up Willis Carrier's grave site and lay some flowers upon it.
I grew up without it. Parents had a wall unit in the bedroom and florida room.
Unread 09-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

96F in Tampa Tuse. No rain in a week and i see a super hot fall coming.