The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Competitions and Racing Forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Competitions and Racing Forum Any and all forms of contests. "Kill" stories are OK, but please note that this site does NOT condone illegal activities. So discretion is advised.

Unread 06-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
cor123

Name :
cor123 has disabled reputation
Default CORVETTE RACING AT WATKINS GLEN: One Word…FINALLY!

CORVETTE RACING AT WATKINS GLEN: One Word…FINALLY!

Landmark first trip to historic road course for ALMS champions

· Corvette C7.Rs face new challenge at Six Hours of The Glen

· Garcia, Magnussen go for third straight win in TUDOR Championship

· Coming off second, fourth in class at Le Mans

DETROIT (June 25, 2014) – It’s only about an hour’s flight from Detroit to Watkins Glen International. But over the years, the two have been worlds away from the perspective of Corvette Racing. With the advent of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship however, that distance is no more. America’s leading production-based racing team gets its first shot this weekend at the famed road course during the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen.

The event is the second endurance race in two weeks for Corvette Racing, which finished second and fourth in class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with its two Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs. Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen – runners-up at Le Mans with Jordan Taylor – are on a two-race winning streak in the TUDOR Championship and stand second in GT Le Mans points in their No. 3 Corvette C7.R.

Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette are tied for third in the championship and look for their first victory of the season. They were fourth at Le Mans with Richard Westbrook.

Although the team has not raced at The Glen, the four Corvette Racing drivers aren’t complete strangers to the circuit. At the fore is Garcia, who hasn’t missed the Six Hours since 2010 when he finished third overall for Spirit of Daytona. Magnussen was a GT winner in 2005, and Gavin (2000 overall) and Milner (2011 GT) have runner-up finishes.

Climbing back on the podium – much less the top step – will require plenty of skill with a little luck. Sunday’s race marks the first since Sebring in March where all four TUDOR Championship classes will share the track at the same time. The grid stands at 55 cars for the 3.37-mile, 11-turn circuit.

The construction and performance of the Corvette C7.R gives Corvette Racing a key advantage. Based on the 2015 Corvette Z06 production car, the C7.R’s rigid frame gives the car improved cornering ability and stability. Those factors plus the Corvette’s impressive braking performance and throttle response along with Corvette Racing’s strategy and execution will be keys to success.

The Watkins Glen round also doubles as the third race of the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup. It is a special four-race competition made up of the TUDOR Championship’s true endurance rounds. Gavin and Milner are tied for second in GTLM with Garcia and Magnussen standing seventh.

Corvette Racing’s No. 4 Corvette is second in team points, as is Chevrolet in the manufacturer standings.

Live television coverage of the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen starts at 11 a.m. ET, Sunday on FOX Sports 1.

The TUDOR Championship is the result of a merger between the ALMS and GRAND-AM’s Rolex Sports Car Series. Corvette Racing will compete in 11 races around North America plus the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Corvette Racing Display: For the Fans at Watkins Glen

Corvette Racing’s visit to Watkins Glen also means fans can take in a number of activities and at Chevrolet’s Corvette Racing Display in the Fan Midway Area:

Production vehicles such as the North American Truck of the Year, the Chevrolet Silverado, as well as the Camaro, Sonic and Impala
Showcars on location include a Corvette C7.R, and both a Corvette Stingray coupe and convertible, the North American Car of the Year
Fans can see a sample of engines, parts and accessories available for purchase from Chevrolet at their local Chevrolet dealer
Other activities at the Corvette Racing Display include a variety of interactive games for adults and kids
Fans who sign up with Corvette Racing will receive a special commemorative t-shirt

The Corvette Racing display opens 9 a.m. Friday and 8 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“It is a short turnaround after a difficult race like Le Mans, but I am happy to go back to Watkins Glen and race the Corvette C7.R for the first time. Certainly it will be much different competing with the C7.R than a DP. This track has a good blend of high-speed parts and technical areas, so Corvette Racing should be able to challenge for another win. Things won’t be so easy with a six-hour race and lots of traffic. However, Corvette Racing has shown that we produce good strategies and excellent pit stops. It would be great if Jan and I could win our third straight TUDOR Championship race after a second-place at Le Mans. Regardless, a good finish would help us in the points race.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“It will be the first time for me in a Corvette at Watkins Glen. It’s an interesting place with a lot of history. The times that I’ve been there in other cars, I’ve enjoyed it a lot. So I’m looking forward to go back there and get back into the TUDOR Championship where we have won consecutive races. We’ve proven the car is good in all conditions. I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be able to fight for a win. It’s longer than a standard TUDOR Championship race and puts a lot more importance on pit stops and strategy. In the past, Corvette Racing has been very, very good in those areas and absolutely have been one of the team’s strongest points.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“It’s very much what you’d call an old-school track. It’s got three or four corners on it that are fast and really challenging. You get a huge amount of satisfaction from doing them well. It’s a circuit where you need courage and be fully committed all the time. If you’re at all timid or hesitant with it, then it can bite you. Generally the surface has a high level of grip. You can make a case for many different spots on the track being crucial for lap time, but I would stick my neck out and say that coming out of Turn 1 and uphill to the Esses is one of the biggest influencers.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

“If you’re going to put together a calendar for sports car racing in the U.S., you have to have Watkins Glen. It’s one I’ve been looking forward to for awhile. I haven’t won there but definitely want to add it to my résumé. I feel pretty confident going there. We have some experience with the car in a low-downforce trim, so if we need to go in that direction we have some knowledge to build from. And we typically run max downforce in the U.S. So no matter what, we should have a good car there. For some of our competitors, a six-hour race will feel a little long. But for us having just come back from Le Mans and doing 24 hours, it will feel like a breeze!”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

“It has been a long time coming but I am personally thrilled to see Corvette Racing finally compete at Watkins Glen. It is an iconic track with such a rich global history, and everyone on the team is excited by the opportunity to see and hear our Corvette C7.Rs make their Glen debuts. As the fans know, it’s a very short turnaround time for us following our strong showing at Le Mans. Rest assured, we readily accept that challenge and are welcoming the opportunity to showcase some ‘Ground Pounding American Thunder’ to all the Corvette and TUDOR Championship fans!”

TUDOR Championship – GTLM Standings

Driver Standings
Team Standings
Manufacturer Standings

1. Bill Auberlen/Andy Priaulx – 123

2. Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen – 118

T3. Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner – 111

T3. Richard Lietz/Nick Tandy – 111

4. Michael Christensen/Patrick Long – 110

5. Dominik Farnbacher/Marc Goossens – 107

1. No. 55 BMW Team RLL – 123

2. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 118

3. No. 911 Porsche North America – 111

4. No. 4 Corvette Racing – 111

5. No. 912 Porsche North America - 110

1. Porsche – 128

2. BMW – 126

3. Chevrolet – 124

4. SRT – 90

5. Ferrari – 110

Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen – TUDOR Championship (all times ET)

TUDOR Championship Practice 1: 12:50 p.m., Friday, June 27
TUDOR Championship Practice 2: 9:10 a.m., Saturday, June 28
TUDOR Championship Practice 3: 2:45 p.m., Saturday, June 28
GT Le Mans Qualifying: 4:15 p.m., Saturday, June 28
TUDOR Championship Warmup: 8:30 a.m., Sunday, June 29
Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen: 11:15 a.m., Sunday, June 29

Watkins Glen: Watch It! (all times ET)

Qualifying: 3:55 p.m. ET (IMSA.com), Saturday, June 28
Race: 11 a.m. ET (FOX Sports 1), Sunday, June 29

Connect with Corvette Racing and Team Chevy on social media. Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/TeamChevy, follow us on Twitter @CorvetteRacing and @TeamChevy, and add +TeamChevy into your Google+ circles.

About Chevrolet
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.9 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

CONTACTS: Ryan Smith Judy Kouba Dominick
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote