The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road Outside of Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road Outside of Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences while travelling outside of Florida.

Unread 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Jerry's Seafood in Bowie, MD.

I don't know how often any of you may get into the eastern Washington D.C. area, specifically Bowie, MD, but if you do and you love seafood, you HAVE to stop in at Jerry's Seafood. It's located at 15211 Major Lansdale Blvd. near the intersection of route 179 and route 50. They have a dish called the "Crab Bomb", which is to kill for. Now I doubt there are many people more picky than I am about blue crab meat dishes, and I was really blown away by the CRAB BOMB (pun intended). Connie ordered the same dish and she was equally impressed with it. Matter of fact, we're trying to figure out a real good reason to run up that way again, just to stop in there to have dinner. It was purely a fluke that we even found the place, because we stayed at the Hampton Inn pretty much next door to the place and just happened to spot it.

Now this is pretty early in the season to be getting really good crab meat, so quite honestly, we REALLY need to find a reason to get up there in late Summer or early Fall when the blue crabs are at their best in Maryland. Yumm......

http://www.jerrysseafood.com/main.php

http://www.crabbomb.com/
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Fatbum
My car got Xtremely F'd

Name : Daniel Halpin
Fatbum has disabled reputation

I grew up there, in Glen Burnie, used to go to Bowie all the time. I refuse to eat Blue Crabs unless I'm in Maryland, crab cakes,...anything (ok..minus crab dips, it's hard to mess those up). I miss getting some fresh Crab Bisque.

If you ever go through or around Detroit I can tell you some fantastic Coney Island Chili places to hit up.
Fatbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Rich Z

Yeah, we steam our own crabs here when we can get the live blue crabs and that works out fine. Connie can also make OUTSTANDING crabcakes. She's going to take a stab at making her own CRAB BOMBS when she can get a couple of pounds of the jumbo lump crabmeat at the local market in Panacea (MyWay Seafood).

With that oil spill, I'm thinking that fresh local Florida seafood is going to become rather scarce real soon.
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Man, you guys are getting me torqued up just talkin about it! No seafood (New England, Maine, San Fran...even Alaska) compares w/ Maryland/Chesapeake!!!

tb (raised in Montgomery Co. MD...when it was in the country)
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, we steam our own crabs here when we can get the live blue crabs and that works out fine. Connie can also make OUTSTANDING crabcakes. She's going to take a stab at making her own CRAB BOMBS when she can get a couple of pounds of the jumbo lump crabmeat at the local market in Panacea (MyWay Seafood).

With that oil spill, I'm thinking that fresh local Florida seafood is going to become rather scarce real soon.
Hey Rich,

I steam my own crabs down here in Ft. Myers too! I have a couple of sources in this area, so getting blue crabs is not too difficult. There is one place in N. Ft. Myers that steams them, but they have no clue on the seasoning. So, I just do it myself with Old Bay and rock salt. We may have moved from the Maryland area, but I will never get steamed crabs out of my system!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Hey Rich,

I steam my own crabs down here in Ft. Myers too! I have a couple of sources in this area, so getting blue crabs is not too difficult. There is one place in N. Ft. Myers that steams them, but they have no clue on the seasoning. So, I just do it myself with Old Bay and rock salt. We may have moved from the Maryland area, but I will never get steamed crabs out of my system!

Rich
Try using vinegar with the Old Bay seasoning........
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Try using vinegar with the Old Bay seasoning........
The steaming liquid I use is a blend of water, vinegar and beer. My daughter eats them by dipping the meat into vinegar and then rubbing the old bay and rock salt off the shell. Since I use a LOT of seasoning on the crabs, I have plenty on my hands while eating that will make your lips tingle. I have tried the vinegar, but prefer the natural taste of the crab meat with the seasonings.

BTW Rich, typically what are you paying for live crabs up there? Lately, I can usually get number ones (6 inches or better, point to point) down here for around $35 a dozen. Under 6 inches for around $25.

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
BTW Rich, typically what are you paying for live crabs up there? Lately, I can usually get number ones (6 inches or better, point to point) down here for around $35 a dozen. Under 6 inches for around $25.
Haven't gotten any this year yet, but last year the price was $9 per dozen.... Mixed sizes and mixed sexes.
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

You guys are making me hungry for Crabs and it's still breakfast time. I use to eat steamed crabs in New Orleans back in my dental school days in the 80's. Nothing like a plate of crabs with some cold beer.
I like the Vinegar, Beer, Bay seasoning, and rock salt recipe. What proportions are you using per dozen crabs?
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

I guess its Joe's Crab Shack for me this weekend...