The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
coolassbrad

Name :
coolassbrad is on a distinguished road
Default hcso useless

My car was broke into thursday night ,I came out and caught the bastard.He jumped onto the hood busted his ass and I got him.Thats when I called 911,and he let me know that he was going to kill me and the wife.Rules just changed well cops were only 35 min. away.so by the time they get there hes laying in the road.The wifey was worried but I figure the buzzards will get him in the morning.Well cops show 4 deep 35 min after called then have attitude with me.who are you go back to your house we have this under control.Really I'm the one that called.took the officer back to my house showed him damage took 2 seconds and informed me that hes crazy and they cant prosecute nutjobseven thought he said it to them.

I ask he be arrested for trepasain and vandalismSorry we cant arrest crazy people when weger no he left asked for his name and bagge number he left.PRICK
coolassbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Well, that was succint

Sorry Brad, I can tell you're pissed!

Seriously though, I understand your anger, having been the victim of an auto burglary in the past.

I have a couple of observations and a couple of questions for you.

Observations.

1) Calls are prioritized. Were they aware that the perp had threatened to kill you and the family and was still present? If so, the call should have taken top priority.

2) Even if it was given a top priority, that doesn't mean the deputy that works your area was available.

I've worked nights in "the combat zone" where EVERYONE was tied up on priority calls. I've seen them (even had to do it) pull cars in from other districts to handle the overflow. I've seen supervisors (Sgts., Lts., even the Captain once) respond to calls just becasue there were no zone units available

And I've seen cars pulled off backup status (leaving the other unit with no available backup) to handle another priority call such as yours.

3) A burglary, when not in progress and when no one is in danger, is a low (or lower) priority call in the total scheme of things. It's not when it's OUR crap being broken into, but from a triage standpoint, it is.

Questions:

1) Was the dispatcher aware that the perp was still present and threatening you and the family?

2) Did the dispatcher know that you were using force against the perp?

3) Were the Deputies familiar with the suspect? How did they determine that
the perp was S/20 (crazy)?*
* even if he was "crazy" they could still arrest him. That "excuse" is BS

It's not our job to diagnose for the most part. Make the case and let his attorney make the case for incompetence!

4) Did they Baker Act him (Florida mental illness act) or did they just turn him loose?

Finally, if what you say is correct, and I'm not doubting you, then you have certain avenues for a grievance.

You have the deputies names. If not, all the units that responded (officially) will be on the dispatch report.

You can:

A) Contact thier supervisor and discuss the matter with him/her.
B) Contact IA (Internal Affairs) and file a "formal" written complaint.

A crime was committed. You either had a burgalry, an attempted burglary, or a vandalism (depending on the obvious intent of the perp). Something should have been done.

As for the response time, again that's something that can be taken up with supervision; however, from a BTDT perspective, there may have been no other choice

This is why I say that any administrator that "threatens" (and that's exactly what it is) to cut back on front line first responders, simply because they can't figure out how to live within thier darned budget!, needs to be summarily relieved of his/her position immediately!! You trim the fact and perks first, not the personnel.

Sorry about your car. Hope the damage can be quickly repaired. I'm also sorry you had a bad experience with my former agency. Things are unfortunately, quite different these days it seems

Please keep us informed.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Man this is Florida. Someone threatens to kill you, and you believe he has the capability to follow through, take him out. Crazy or not.
Quote:
The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. [This is an American right repeatedly recognized in Supreme Court gun cases.]

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.
Note: This is not legal advice. It is merely an opinion from a fellow Floridian.
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :

I agree with Rich. If he was truly a threat and you felt imminently threatened by him, then you could use the "force necessary" to defend yourself.

Therein lies the key...."necessary."

You're a big guy and depending on the size of the perp, whether or not he was armend, etc, etc, etc., ...see where this can go?

I'm thrilled that we finally got it together enough in Florida to modify that doctrine, but watch your back when putting it into use.
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
coolassbrad

Name :

thanks guys officer davis was a prick.he refused to give his name and badge said only crime was tresspass.we had to get his boss out here still no arrest made.911 dispatch was a joke I guess my ebonics wasnt that good,when I told him the guy was threatning to kill us he said go back in your house this guy had no fear of being killed.Anyother time there is a cop sleeping under the lights on fletcher and I75.He'll spend 3or 4 hrs under them sleepin.
I've tried to be a good person but from now on the sihns go up TRESSPASSERS WILL BE MET WITH FORCE every 10 feet on the fence and the next bastard will be a puddle
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
coolassbrad

Name :

thanks rich I just finished my ccw permit a month ago it was all still fresh in my mind. officers determined he was crazy and baker acted him big deal I'm really disapointed in our system
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Shadow

Name :

There's no doubt the system is damaged. We've seen it for years. try being on the LEO's end and having to deal with it!

Quote:
officer davis was a prick.he refused to give his name and badge said only crime was tresspass

Not sure how they're handeling things today, but in the past we were required to provide a citizen (even when they were azzhats) a business card with our name/ID (Sheriff's don't have "badge numbers". At least not on the badge).

Refusal to provide your name when requested usually resulted in an azz chewing at minimum.

Quote:
911 dispatch was a joke I guess my ebonics wasnt that good,when I told him the guy was threatning to kill us he said go back in your house this guy had no fear of being killed.
911 has become quite a joke in recent years. Unfortunately, the good that comes from a very competent 911 operator seldom gets any press

The morons are all over the news. I had one tell me once to back off and let a DUI driver get out of my site and to not follow him??

Hey sparky! I'm in my POV and we're doing the speed limit or a little under. It's not like it's a pursuit of something Besides, it was kinda cool watching him try to bounce off the cement dividers on the interstate

Quote:
I've tried to be a good person but from now on the sihns go up TRESSPASSERS WILL BE MET WITH FORCE every 10 feet on the fence and the next bastard will be a puddle
Like we said, we understand you are angry, but doing what you imply will guarantee you jail time

And just because they Baker Acted him does not negate the crime. It's up to the courts to rule him incompetent to stand trial
Unread 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
coolassbrad

Name :

hind site; I should have kepy my mouth shut and put the shovel to use
Unread 06-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolassbrad View Post
hind site; I should have kepy my mouth shut and put the shovel to use

Probably
Unread 06-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
silverback

Name :
silverback has disabled reputation

just don't use the shovel to burry the idiot, just defend, once had a drunk break into my house, and then he disagreed about leaving, even with a 45 pointed at him.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote