The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   On The Road in Florida (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   They've GOT to be kidding! (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572)

Kap142 01-02-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nytro (Post 5407)
I moved here from Mass three years ago, and I gotta tell ya I have never seen drivers like the people down here in my life. People in Mass drive crazy and fast, but not reckless like here. Running red lights is a way of life here, changing lanes to get ten feet ahead, stopping at lights and leaving fifteen feet between you and the car in front of you and the worst, slowing down for a yellow light and not knowing if the person behind you is planning to slow down also. I find it especially funny the way pedestrians are more like targets here than people who have the right of way. I know, I know natives here are going to say it's the non-Floridians, but I'm not buying it, drivers here have to be the worst in the nation. Drivers education should be mandatory in this state, and I don't mean online driving courses. Just my .02.

I am a native Floridian and by gawd you are dead right in every word you say of Florida drivers. I, of course, attempt to explain these situations as caused by drivers from other states that have retired here or moved here although I know that's only a small portion of where the blame should go.

As a former LEO I have watched poo occur directly in front of me that just makes you scratch your head, again and again.

Rich Z 01-02-2008 04:43 PM

A while back Connie and I were coming back from the east coast, but don't remember exactly where we were. Bunch of guys in pickup trucks all around us and were speeding up and slowing down, probably trying to get us to show them what the C5Z could do. Sorry, I wasn't playing. But a ways down the road, the two lanes funneled into one and I was in the right lane that was merging into the left. The guys in the pickup were still playing grabass and I were blocking us from merging. OK, wanna play? The head of the merge lane was about 10 car lengths ahead, and there was clear road just ahead of him. Third gear with the turbos is like having wings, so I punched it. The world just stood still and I was around them and up the road. Connie didn't say a word but I think I saw white knuckles. Heck, I didn't even hit the grass as it was like everyone else just stopped dead. :hehehe:

Yeah, not my usual kind of stunt, but the yahoos got on my nerves by that time, and I wanted away from them.

Why do some people act all goofy when they are driving next to a Vette?

fletcher4u 01-03-2008 06:44 AM

Is'nt that the truth.

THOR 01-04-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 46854)
A while back Connie and I were coming back from the east coast, but don't remember exactly where we were. Bunch of guys in pickup trucks all around us and were speeding up and slowing down, probably trying to get us to show them what the C5Z could do. Sorry, I wasn't playing. But a ways down the road, the two lanes funneled into one and I was in the right lane that was merging into the left. The guys in the pickup were still playing grabass and I were blocking us from merging. OK, wanna play? The head of the merge lane was about 10 car lengths ahead, and there was clear road just ahead of him. Third gear with the turbos is like having wings, so I punched it. The world just stood still and I was around them and up the road. Connie didn't say a word but I think I saw white knuckles. Heck, I didn't even hit the grass as it was like everyone else just stopped dead. :hehehe:

Yeah, not my usual kind of stunt, but the yahoos got on my nerves by that time, and I wanted away from them.

I would have liked to be the fly on the wall and seen that. I'd be screaming for joy.

Mr. Blue 04-23-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 46854)

You should try behaving while in MY Vette! Man does it bring out SpeedRacer in everyone! Talk about drivers playing alongside you trying to egg you into a powerblast! And Yes, I use to live in Boston, (a Gloucester comuter back and forth while in the NAVY) and THEY are the craziest drivers I've EVER encountered in Beantown. They are even worse than NY when they move down here to live! There, that should offend everyone on the east coast.:rofl1:

vette653 04-23-2008 04:07 PM

All I can add to all of this is HOLD YOUR FINGER...THEY CARRY GUNS HERE :eek::hide:

Mr. Blue 04-23-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vette653 (Post 57703)
All I can add to all of this is HOLD YOUR FINGER...THEY CARRY GUNS HERE :eek::hide:

As a retired police officer, so do I!!!
And I've been trained to HIT what I shot at!

Guro305 04-23-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nytro (Post 5407)
I moved here from Mass three years ago, and I gotta tell ya I have never seen drivers like the people down here in my life. People in Mass drive crazy and fast, but not reckless like here. Running red lights is a way of life here, changing lanes to get ten feet ahead, stopping at lights and leaving fifteen feet between you and the car in front of you and the worst, slowing down for a yellow light and not knowing if the person behind you is planning to slow down also. I find it especially funny the way pedestrians are more like targets here than people who have the right of way. I know, I know natives here are going to say it's the non-Floridians, but I'm not buying it, drivers here have to be the worst in the nation. Drivers education should be mandatory in this state, and I don't mean online driving courses. Just my .02.

Well tough if you ain't buying it because it's true. North of the Miami-Dade co. line, all from up north, south of the Miami-Dade co. line, Caribbean and South America. And you people think people up north drive crazy and like s#!t?!:lmao: Live in the Caribbean or South American and you'll know what driving crazy and like s#!t really is!!!!!! Three years in a row Miami drivers have been voted the rudest, nastiest and craziest drivers in the U.S. Worse then New York, worse then L.A., worse then anywhere else. I lived in Mexico City if you want to know what driving like s#!t really is with 25 million of your closest friends on the street with you.

All with sticks, where no speed laws are respected and observed, one way just means when no one is coming down the street and the cops can be bought to get out of a ticket. Not to mention how many roads are still to this day in bad shape from the big one in '85. You cannot own a 'vette unless you live in the highest northern part of the city or else you won't have it for very long at all, if you live long enough to see it taken from you at the light. If you're lucky they'll just take the car and not you with it for ransom.

Only place worse to drive in the world, maybe Rome, Italy. 2K year old streets were just not made for cars!:NoNo: Well, real cars anyway.

Mr. Blue 04-24-2008 07:40 AM

"Three years in a row Miami drivers have been voted the rudest, nastiest and craziest drivers in the U.S.

Miami is still part of the U.S.??:rofl1:

Guro305 04-24-2008 10:48 PM

Absolutely, I'm born and raised in the county of Dade! But the point I was making was to reaffirm that a good majority of Florida drivers are NOT native Floridians.