The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Florida Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Winter weather... (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102989)

Rich Z 11-13-2014 07:49 PM

Winter weather...

Forecast is calling for lows in the mid 20s here in north Florida for Tuesday and Wednesday night. Rats.... Guess we're going to have to cover some plants already.

85vette 11-13-2014 08:22 PM

Seems kind of early for this, or is it just me?

Rich Z 11-13-2014 08:24 PM

Cold weather is ALWAYS too early for me..... :thumbsdown:

vett boy 11-14-2014 07:11 AM

It got down to 32 degrees last night and a dusting of light snow which has already melting .Of coarse I'm in Maine and should expect a little cold and snow .

I'm on a 5 year plan (used up 1 already) to move but I'd hate to move to Florida only to freeze my azz off .That said I'm looking hard at Key Largo $$$$$ and KissME $$.My goal was to semi retire as Dopey at Disney or a shark wrestler off the Keys .

LEJ ZO6 11-14-2014 08:11 AM

Any place south of Sarasota should be O.K.

We're just north of Tampa and we get frost a couple of times each winter.

vett boy 11-14-2014 08:56 AM

I was born in Pomona Park which is directly east of Gainsville and it was very rare to have a frost and had to protect the small Orange grove .I don't remember getting really uncomfortable in the summer either and we had no AC .Memory is a little foggy as I was shipped north when I was 3 months old .Grandfather was an active member of the KKK and didn't want me growing up in the south .

The family owned farms and groves in Homestead ,Pomona park and south of Sebring .The Grove south of Sebring was huge by 1950's standards and nothing but dirt roads and a house that looked like a place Dracula would hang out .

The last of the properties was sold off in the late 60's except the farm portion of Homestead which was donated to the State of Maine as a research facility .

I can almost say I'm one of the few Native Floridians :D

Rich Z 11-14-2014 09:24 AM

I think the closer you are to a fair sized body of water, the more moderate the overall temperatures will be.

Cor66Vette 11-14-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vett boy (Post 189382)
I'm on a 5 year plan (used up 1 already) to move but I'd hate to move to Florida only to freeze my azz off .That said I'm looking hard at Key Largo $$$$$ and KissME $$.My goal was to semi retire as Dopey at Disney or a shark wrestler off the Keys .

I'd go with the shark wrestler. :yesnod: Too many "dopeys" in FL as it is. :eek:

vett boy 11-14-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cor66Vette (Post 189389)
I'd go with the shark wrestler. :yesnod: Too many "dopeys" in FL as it is. :eek:

I've spent a lot of time diving in the Keys but still haven't met a shark but I've been told that ya can grab 'em by the tail flip 'em on their backs rub the tummy and they purr like a cat .:shrug01::shrug01:

Cor66Vette 11-14-2014 01:59 PM

vett boy 11-14-2014 03:35 PM

Sticking his head between my legs ,ya right :nonod:

Rich Z 11-14-2014 06:53 PM

If you look long enough and hard enough, I guess you can always find someone willing to do even the dumbest things. I watch a lot of YouTube videos of truly stupid things being done, and I have to shake my head in amazement that not only was someone dumb enough to try that, but they were dumb enough to put it up on YouTube for the world to see.

gmjunkie 11-15-2014 08:30 AM

Got news for you VB...................

Quote:

Originally Posted by vett boy (Post 189385)
I was born in Pomona Park which is directly east of Gainsville and it was very rare to have a frost and had to protect the small Orange grove .I don't remember getting really uncomfortable in the summer either and we had no AC .Memory is a little foggy as I was shipped north when I was 3 months old .Grandfather was an active member of the KKK and didn't want me growing up in the south .

The family owned farms and groves in Homestead ,Pomona park and south of Sebring .The Grove south of Sebring was huge by 1950's standards and nothing but dirt roads and a house that looked like a place Dracula would hang out .

The last of the properties was sold off in the late 60's except the farm portion of Homestead which was donated to the State of Maine as a research facility .

I can almost say I'm one of the few Native Floridians :D

Frostproof FL isn't frost-proof anymore!:thumbsup:

:D

vett boy 11-15-2014 09:42 AM

One thing for sure I don't think I should consider Vero Beach :D

Rich Z 11-16-2014 12:33 AM

Got down to 35 degrees here on Friday night. Now they are calling for a low of 23 degrees Tuesday night.

Connie and I have been putting away the irrigation sprinklers as they are plastic and will surely crack if there is any water in them to freeze. Hope the ripening citrus doesn't get damaged. Heck, hope we don't lose some of the TREES. Sudden cold snaps like this are pretty hard on plants. Most of the pear trees haven't even dropped their leaves yet.

Rich Z 11-17-2014 12:52 PM

They've ratcheted down the forecast low for Tuesday night to 20 to 21 degrees now. :ack2:

Maybe I just need to drive around more in the vehicles to try to kick that global warming thingie into high gear......

Man I hope we don't lose our Poncan tangerines. We've been waiting for them all year to ripen and they are still a couple weeks away from that point.

Rich Z 11-17-2014 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, I'm thinking that since I really don't drive around all that much lately, I should just go over to the garage every day and open up the doors, and start up all the vehicles to try to make a contribution to that global warming stuff so it will actually kick into gear. As it is, I'm likely to freeze to death before the globe actually does get appreciably warmer....

gmjunkie 11-17-2014 03:43 PM

Damn Rich,Thats colder than it's supposed to be here in the Mountains.
Heck my bees are flying here today at 55*:thumbsup:

navy2kcoupe 11-17-2014 05:31 PM

Even Junk's dog knows what's good! :D:D:D :thumbsup:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps7098d043.jpg

Andy :wavey:

Rich Z 11-22-2014 07:32 PM

Well the cold is gone, but it looks like all the rain we haven't been getting lately is going to be showing up over the next several days here. The storms are coming in from the south, so at least the rain isn't preceding a cold front.

Cor66Vette 11-22-2014 07:44 PM

I can count on one hand the amount of times I got caught in the rain with the '66, and today was one of them. We were lucky to avoid any rain during the car show, but the top had to go up on the way home. Oh well.

Rich Z 11-25-2014 02:52 PM

Connie and I ran out to the post office today and our road is a real mess. There were ruts easily a foot deep in some new fill they put in a few weeks ago. I'm sure the mud boggers will be coming through any time now. Heck, Connie had to put her truck into 4-wheel drive. I'm thinking we won't be able to get any of the cars out (presuming no more rain) for at least a week.

Ah, life in the country.....

CHASZ51 11-30-2014 05:40 PM

Freaky month. Had almost 5" of rain Tuse and Wends and a total of around 7" for the month. That was more than any single month total during the summer.

Rich Z 11-30-2014 06:35 PM

Somebody must have bitched to the roads dept., because we heard machinery on the road even during the ending of the rain and into the next day. Apparently they scraped all the mud off that they had recently laid down over the sandy road. I went out today to run some errands and the mud is piled up alongside the road looking pretty much like it had been snow plowed and the mud was REAL dirty snow. But at least the road itself is dry. Not sure what they are planning to do with all that crud piled up next to the road, but if I had to guess, I would say they are going to just pile it back on the road sometime. The stuff does seem to give a nice riding surface when it is dry, but this certainly ain't Arizona.

Weather looks like it should be pretty pleasant for a while. Would be a nice time to take a long drive somewhere.

85vette 01-07-2015 10:02 PM

Winter is back! And windy. 17 mph gusting to 32 mph. 40* now, dropping to maybe 21*!

mrr23 01-07-2015 10:58 PM

currently 57* winds NW 13mph. low of 37* in orlando

Rich Z 01-07-2015 11:50 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing all the tarps we put on the sensitive plants are going to be everywhere BUT on those plants by morning..... :nonod:

navy2kcoupe 02-08-2015 07:21 PM

10-14 more inches due from this current storm........

But the good news is that since we already have so much,
THEY'RE CALLING THIS A DUSTING! LOL :rofl1::rofl1:

Seriously, .............. I'm calling "UNCLE" on the snow RIGHT NOW!

Rich Z 02-08-2015 08:52 PM

It was rather pleasant here today. Temps got up to 71 or so. Lizards were laying all over the porch sunning themselves. Some of the apple trees have blooms on them already, so it looks like Spring is trying to get a foothold.

But they are forecasting lows of 29 for both Thursday and Friday nights and a high of only 54 degrees on Friday. Not quite out of the Winter woods yet.

vett boy 02-09-2015 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe (Post 190378)
10-14 more inches due from this current storm........

But the good news is that since we already have so much,
THEY'RE CALLING THIS A DUSTING! LOL :rofl1::rofl1:

Seriously, .............. I'm calling "UNCLE" on the snow RIGHT NOW!

I'm with ya Andy this is not funny :thumbsdown: 100 inches since Jan 1st and I plow and plow .

I have friends checking out places in KEY WEST ,Orlando ,Port Charlotte and Leesburg .

Rich Z 02-09-2015 04:16 AM

Years ago before Connie and I moved down to Florida, we would pass through the Tallahassee area fairly often. On one of our trips we were heading back home and stopped at a roadside stand just above Tallahassee to buy some pecans. The old guy helped us load the bags into the bronco we had at the time and noticed the Maryland license plate. He seemed to hesitate and then wanted to know if he could ask us a question. Sure... He said "I see you are from up north, and something has always puzzled me about people who live up there. So tell me, just why in the hell would anyone live up there anyway?" So I thought about it for a moment, and told him "I guess it's because I was born and raised up there and just don't know any better." This seemed to satisfy him, so we continued on our journey back home.

But that did make an impression on me. And it wasn't too much later that we bought our property here, and moved on down.

Since that time, we have seen a few snow flakes here, but all total I doubt ALL of them would have been able to make a fist sized snow ball. And that is only if the sleet was collected too.

mrr23 02-09-2015 07:14 AM

it's been horrible in orlando. we've been sunned in all weekend. almost got a sunburn. :dancer01:

Rich Z 02-10-2015 03:36 AM

Yuch.... Forecast is calling for lows in the mid to upper 20s Thursday night thru Monday morning. :thumbsdown:

Guess we'll be breaking out the tarps again to cover plants. Some of them think it's spring time around here.

vett boy 02-10-2015 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr23 (Post 190383)
it's been horrible in orlando. we've been sunned in all weekend. almost got a sunburn. :dancer01:

Ah but after snowing for 55 hours straight we're going to get sun with a light breeze bringing the wind chill to a minus 30 .Now to figure out which color shorts and tee .:hehehe:

Oh and this weekend is the Annual naked snowshoe races .:thumbsup:

mrr23 02-10-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vett boy (Post 190402)
Ah but after snowing for 55 hours straight we're going to get sun with a light breeze bringing the wind chill to a minus 30 .Now to figure out which color shorts and tee .:hehehe:

go with blue. it'll match your skin from the freezing wind. :lmao:

85vette 02-10-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vett boy (Post 190402)

Oh and this weekend is the Annual naked snowshoe races .:thumbsup:

No Polar Bear Club?

Rich Z 02-10-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85vette (Post 190407)
No Polar Bear Club?

There probably isn't any exposed water because of all the thick ice coverage.... :hehehe:

Rich Z 02-11-2015 05:56 PM

Well, with a couple of nights between Thursday night and Monday morning forecast to be in the upper 20s here, I figured I'd better get a few pics of the trees flowering before the cold killed the blooms.

This one is a Japanese magnolia.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/flowers_2015_01.jpg

Pear tree.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/flowers_2015_02.jpg

Apple tree.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/flowers_2015_03.jpg

mrr23 02-11-2015 06:02 PM

real pretty

Rich Z 02-12-2015 07:21 PM

Man, I dunno... They are calling for a low of 27 degrees here tonight, but it's still nearly 60 degrees outside. Is it really going to plummet 30+ degrees before daylight?