The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ranting Room (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Tell me not true (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17539)

vett boy 07-04-2008 09:14 AM

Tell me not true

Congress is considering going back to the 55mph max speed limit.:banghead:

Shadow 07-04-2008 09:25 AM

Wouldn't surprise me a bit:rolleyes:

If you're driving an econobox, then 55-65 is usually the "sweet spot" for ultimate fuel economy.

The vettes and other performance vehicles seem to do better at slightly higher speeds from what I can determine. Of course we're talking cruise speed not 1/4 mile:rofl1:

Where did you hear this about the 55 mph limit?

vett boy 07-04-2008 09:33 AM

I belive it was on CNN last week and then I heard it on talk radio MPB yesterday.I like to hear it from more than one source before I start to believe it.:D As you know everthing you read ,see,or if it's on the internet it has to be true.

85vette 07-04-2008 10:17 AM

I would think that with the overdrive transmissions of today, which is in all light vehicles, it would not be beneficial to drive at 55 mph. Back in 1973 (correct me if I'm wrong on the year) there were no overdrive automatic transmissions and many cars were using 3:73 rearend gearing and lower.

Rich427 07-04-2008 11:02 AM

I read an article this morning in the Ft. Myers News-Press about this. I think it was just Senator Warner from Va., that is questioning whether it makes sense to go to a national speed limit of 55 MPH. It did not appear from the article that there was a move in the Senate, just this one Senator raising the question. But, with everyone so focused on the current oil situation, it would not surprise me that this issue gets more momentum.

I agree with 85V that the times and automotive technology are different today than they were in the early seventies, but I am not sure whether this would be lost on the people that currently reside in the House and Senate. JMO.

Rich

Rich Z 07-04-2008 12:00 PM

So what would be the purpose of lowering the max speed limit? To save gasoline? Which would be to save people money? Well hey there congress critters, how about rescinding all those BLASTED taxes you all have levied on every gallon of gasoline we use. Do 'ya think that might help us poor slobs?

Instead of lowing the speed limit, which will only realistically get more people having to pay for speeding fines (which means spending MORE money), and further inconveniencing us all by making our trips take longer than they should take, do something REALLY beneficial and tighten your own belts for a change instead of asking us to do that all of the time. We can't just go running to the printing presses when WE run out of money like you guys can do...... :rolleyes:

IMHO, of course.....

Z06 Rocket 07-04-2008 02:20 PM

They talk about money problems, just think of what it would cost to replace several million speed limit street signs, make them, install them,,,, BILLIONS

als2052 07-04-2008 03:11 PM

Good Point Z06...

Rich Z 07-04-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket (Post 63710)
They talk about money problems, just think of what it would cost to replace several million speed limit street signs, make them, install them,,,, BILLIONS

The first couple of weeks enforcing the new lower speed limit will pay for that EASILY with the revenue generated...... :rolleyes: Couple of automated ticketing cameras alongside the interstates would do it easily.

jfcupolo 07-04-2008 05:54 PM

I don't mean to sound trite here but does it really matter? I'm driving the way I want as fast or cautious as I want and just trying not to get caught living la vida loca. Seems we can spit and sputter all day about what congress will or won't do but as a performance sports car owner I'm going to be enjoying my throttle and trying to find my sweet spot on what is one of the last vestiges of legal or illegal enjoyment left to me.

I guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....