The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Mods, & Tips (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   rod problem (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51566)

vetteguy61 10-19-2010 11:07 AM

rod problem

I need to know if it's possible for a forged connecting rod to go out of round in 12000 miles. That's on the crank end of the rod.

gmjunkie 10-19-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy61 (Post 124417)
I need to know if it's possible for a forged connecting rod to go out of round in 12000 miles. That's on the crank end of the rod.

Yeah,It's Possible but not very likely unless you been really,Really cranking that Bad Boy!!~!:vette: :thumbsup:

vetteguy61 10-19-2010 12:10 PM

It was only street driven. It's my daily driver and was not raced with this motor.

Rich Z 10-19-2010 03:44 PM

Wasn't your short block recently at LME? And didn't they replace the bearings while it was there? I would think that they would have noticed something like that, if this is the case.

RevXtreme 1 10-19-2010 04:13 PM

It would be a bearing failure. When replacing bearings the crank journals should be measured in 3 places to look for an out of round condition, and of course the rods are measured with the bearings installed and the caps torqued to spec. Then compare to the crank journal to arrive at the correct tolerances. So doubtfull it was the rod it'self, but a bearing failure. The key is to detrimne what caused the failure.

vetteguy61 10-19-2010 06:30 PM

The motor hasn't been run since it was rebuilt. Had to get my car out of another shop and all that was in it was the short block.

RevXtreme 1 10-19-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy61 (Post 124441)
The motor hasn't been run since it was rebuilt. Had to get my car out of another shop and all that was in it was the short block.

Tell me more details. How do you know the rod is knocking if not run yet? Give me all the info you can & I'll try to help.

CorvetteJohn 10-20-2010 06:29 AM

My son bought a car once with a rebuilt engine that had 10K on it and the owner sold it because it started to have a knocking noise in it. What I found was that whoever had rebuilt the engine had bored it 30 over but when they put the new pistons in it they used stock pistons. The noise was the wrist pin on one of the undersized pistons that was lose.

vetteguy61 10-20-2010 10:35 PM

The rods were checked with a dial gauge. I never said they were knocking. It all started when the motor was first built and it had a vibration in it. Was pulled out and rebalanced due to the crank weight being way off. It sat in a crate for over 2 months in the other shop before the short block was installed in the car. That's as far as it got when I went and put my car on a trailer to take back to Panama City to be put back together. That's all I can say here. Check the BOI for more info.

RevXtreme 1 10-21-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteguy61 (Post 124492)
The rods were checked with a dial gauge. I never said they were knocking. It all started when the motor was first built and it had a vibration in it. Was pulled out and rebalanced due to the crank weight being way off. It sat in a crate for over 2 months in the other shop before the short block was installed in the car. That's as far as it got when I went and put my car on a trailer to take back to Panama City to be put back together. That's all I can say here. Check the BOI for more info.

Sorry, I was just trying to help.