The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Corvette Discussions (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   [C6] 2007 C-6 Front Tires (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25960)

Sweptclean 01-26-2009 02:46 PM

2007 C-6 Front Tires

After some 12,900 miles, the Goodyear Eagles in the front of my vette are just about gone. I have been looking at replacement tires for the front (the back still have a few thousand miles left on them), and was quoted some $700 for two Bridgestone High Performance tires. These are the correct size and are run-flats.

Has anybody had any experience with the Bridgestones? Or, does anybody has any other reccomendation.

Thanks,

Rene

LS2POWA 01-26-2009 03:02 PM

Are you set on having run flats?

If not I highly recommend BFG KDW2's. Best all around street tire I have ever used. I think I paid 170 a tire last year for the fronts and 340 a piece in the rear(295 series). Ive put around 12k miles on them and they still look brand new. Theyve been put through hard rain(ask Tracy he fixed my ecm from water dmg lol) and good ole fl death heat, and they have never let me down.

98 softtail 01-27-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweptclean (Post 81463)
After some 12,900 miles, the Goodyear Eagles in the front of my vette are just about gone. I have been looking at replacement tires for the front (the back still have a few thousand miles left on them), and was quoted some $700 for two Bridgestone High Performance tires. These are the correct size and are run-flats.

Has anybody had any experience with the Bridgestones? Or, does anybody has any other reccomendation.

Thanks,

Rene

Bridgestone's are quality tires. But then so are Firestone and Goodyear. So are General and Cooper tires.

You should stay with the same manufacturer as your rear tires, same compound.

JB.

Rich Z 01-27-2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98 softtail (Post 81527)
Bridgestone's are quality tires. But then so are Firestone and Goodyear. So are General and Cooper tires.

You should stay with the same manufacturer as your rear tires, same compound.

JB.

Yeah, I've heard that. Something about having different brand tires on the front than on the rear can cause handling problems. But I'm not sure if this is in reference to trying to mix runflats with non-runflats. I can see where that would cause problems.

Sweptclean 01-27-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 81529)
Yeah, I've heard that. Something about having different brand tires on the front than on the rear can cause handling problems. But I'm not sure if this is in reference to trying to mix runflats with non-runflats. I can see where that would cause problems.

I agree with having same brand front and rear. The rear ones in my vette will be coming off in a month or so. Just can't handle the cost of mounting all four tires at the same time.

As far as the run-flats, well, I have searched but not found a spare tire in my trunk yet...:lmao: Using a can of "tire inflator" would permanently damage the tire pressure sensor, soooooo....

I guess my major concern is going from the traditional Goodyears to Bridgestone (formerly Firestone).

LS2POWA 01-27-2009 05:20 PM

AAA platinum service is cheaper then run flats lol.

Im running 3 KDWs and a stok GY RF rubber up front(waiting on new wheels to get finished powder coated). Theres no handling difference that ive noticed from mixing tires.

It all boils down to spending mucho money to drive 100 extra miles(and according to GY if you drive close to the max mileage theres no promise in tire repair so youd have to pay for another tire).

My boss replaced his F1 supercars couple months ago, it was 1400 bucks to replace the 4 tires. In comparison I spent 900 bucks, and even he prefers the traction of my tires. But if you ant stock front rubbers, as mentioned in another thread, people on corvetteforum are always selling stock GY rubbers usually two for the price of one.

Lou G 01-28-2009 06:14 PM

Isn't 12,900 miles too soon for the front tires to need replacement? :shrug01:

LS2POWA 01-28-2009 08:11 PM

Unless hes taking his car to road courses.

Lou G 01-30-2009 07:06 PM

Yeah, that would do it.

Sweptclean 02-01-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou G (Post 81700)
Isn't 12,900 miles too soon for the front tires to need replacement? :shrug01:

The car was shipped form Bowling Green, KY to Daytona, FL, where someone put 160 in it. Going around that track at a high speed, even for a hundred miles could have started excessive early wear. I can only guess.