Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK
Rich,

Do you rum Ghost on your drive?
Ghost keep a live back up on a second drive of equal or larger capacity. If either drive fails, you always have a back up. It is a Symantec product.
This server actually resides in a data center somewhere. Not sure where, maybe Michigan, if I remember correctly. That being said, a realtime backup like Ghost would probably dramatically impact throughput on a server since each posted record would have to be written to two hard drives. That would very likely put a strain on the processors during peak usage times. I also use this server for my domain hosting for clients as well as various utility programs to support my main server. So I would be real reluctant to introduce substantially more loading to that box.

A nightly backup is done of the server (the server has two drives, main and backup), however. And further I have my own routines running to backup all the MySQL databases every night and download them to my local computer.

On a local system like my home computer, this sort of additional loading would not be an issue, but a server is a different ball of wax.

Thanks for the suggestion, however.