View Single Post
Unread 08-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Cracked plug wire

A little while back, I was told that one of my plug wires was cracked from laying up against one of the header tubes....

So, I decided to just replace all the wires and while at it went for something different. Noticed in the Mid America Motorworks catalog that Granatelli had made spark plug wires with solid stainless steel wire centers...

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette.html?frame=1.6327

Now back in the old days, this used to be the hot ticket for getting some extra perky throttle response. Take off those resistive carbon core wires and replace them with copper cored wires. Of course, they played hell on the radio, but I guess you can't have everything. Not sure what sort of interference these will make, but they are supposed to be compatible with the late model Corvette electronics.

While I was at it, I went and put on cool socks over all the spark plug wires and boot on the plug itself...

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette.html?frame=1.2932

I figure they might help to keep these wires from getting burned by the header tubes. Some of them run mighty close to those tubes.

It sure is a tight squeeze trying to work on getting those spark plug wires off and on. Especially on that number 7 spark plug. Not much room to work in there. I've got small hands, so I have no idea how someone with big mitts could do that. Only drew a little bit of blood off of one knuckle, so it wasn't too bad, I guess.

Hope I have everything snugged up. The number 1 cylinder wire doesn't feel like it snapped in on the coil, but darn if I could do any better with it after fiddling for a while. Guess I'll see if it comes loose while I am driving. That dirt road I live on should be a good test for it. When I started it up, everything seemed to be working OK.

Taking the car for a drive tomorrow, so I'm curious to see if there is any noticeable seat of the pants difference with those solid core wires. I kind of doubt there will be, simply because those wires are so darn short that it is unlikely that resistance of the wires will have any significant impact. But heck, I needed to replace a wire anyway, so why not try something like this?