View Single Post
Unread 08-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #42
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I don't put a lot of stock in the "reported problems" that many vehicles supposedly have. My 2011 F-350 was supposed to drop valves because it was one of the "early builds." The engine was built in June of 2010. 190K+ miles and it still runs and drives like it's new. I was contemplating getting a new 2020 to replace it with because the new one has 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque. But I really can't justify it. Maybe I'll just put some new doodads on my truck.
Yeah, it was the machining of the heads on some of the LS7s being done in Mexico that was the problem I was concerned about. GM knew about the issue but were claiming they couldn't exactly pinpoint which cars/engines were affected, so they weren't doing anything proactively about the problem. Since the engine failures would likely show up after the warranty expired, I guess it was a pretty safe bet for them to play that way.

Quote:
Oh, since you mentioned the extended warranty thing on your Jeep, be advised that Jeep apparently has some newfangled stuff on their air conditioning systems. My daughter's 2017 Grand Cherokee had the A/C stop working and she took it to the guy that does all her maintenance work and he told her that the A/C is DEALER ONLY. Her extended warranty paid for it but she had to wait two weeks for a part that was on backorder. She had to go to Quincy as the dealer in Tallahassee was backed up.
As long as it is covered by my extended warranty, I'm not too worried about it. Been speculating for a while that a lot of parts coming out of China were going to be getting in short supply when domestic supplies of them ran out. China could cripple the USA simply to stopping ALL exports to us of everything they now make that we used to do. So I expect even ignoring the coronavirus thing, there is an import squeeze on our end for some items from them.

Quote:
Did you have any issues with your C6? What were the problems? Asking in the event I shop for a newer CTS V. Pretty sure they shared the same engine.
Only issue I had with the C6Z was when the right driver's side wheel speed sensor went out. Luckily still under the extended warranty I had purchased. Then they were working on that, they discovered that the brake master cylinder was leaking too, so that got replaced. That just about paid for the warranty for me, so that worked out OK. Actually the car ran great, but I just lost confidence in it because of the LS7 head issue mentioned above. I didn't trust my luck to just ignore it, so rather than having yet another potential Corvette related headache, I decided to move it along.

I thought the CTS-V had the LS6 engine in it? Anything coming out recently would have the newer LT generation engines in it, I would imagine.