View Single Post
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I can certainly do that, and I don't really think it will add much as far as bandwidth is concerned. But let me run this by you....

When I was first contemplating setting up this site, I took a look around to see what was available to get an idea of what other people have done and to make sure I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes. The easiest way to do something like that is to seek out a "topsites" listing for the topic of interest. And honestly, I was surprised at the lack of a REAL topsites listing for Corvette sites. Oh there are a few, but they rely on a voting system for the ranking, which, in my opinion, is not the best way to do this. What people entering into one of these topsites generally want is a relative ranking based on VISITORS, to see how popular their site is with people coming to visit it. So, of course, in one of my weaker moments, I reserved the domain name CorvetteTopSites.com with the intentions of setting up one myself. But the busy season set in and I had to put it on the back burner.

To give you an idea of what a REAL topsites program looks like, take a look at this one I have running -> http://www.FaunaTopSites.com. That is not the actual script I will be using, but it gives you a feel for what it actually displays. It shows a relative ranking of all listed sites based on the number of raw hits per day and you can also see how many unique IP addresses (which normally relate to # of actual visitors) that each site gets.

I am actually using an older version of the topsites script I have in mind on one of my other sites at http://www.topgunsites.com, but it has some sort of script error that I just haven't taken the time to figure out yet. But it will give you a better idea of generally what the CorvetteTopSites will look like and the look and feel of it.

What this is beneficial for is to give you a ruler to measure how much traffic your site can bring in. This helps you if you do advertising or in other manners try to promote your site to see how effective such actions really are. If traffic is not increasing, well is what you doing really worth the effort and expense? Try something else and see how well that works if what you are now doing just isn't being effective.

Anyway, with my busy season winding down, I will be setting this up sometime in the near future. Now THIS script may certainly cause some bandwidth and loading problems for this server. So I may have to start beating the bushes for some advertisers and sponsors here to help foot the bill for another server so I can split off some of the load.

What do you think?