View Single Post
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
USA-1

Name :
USA-1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I tried to join the local club, but the club flubbed things badly by losing my application and then dragging their feet getting it resolved. Then made no real effort at all to try to patch things up afterwards when I admittedly had gotten my dander up about the whole darn thing and just felt soundly SNUBBED by the club brass. Maybe when there is a changing of the guard I will try again....
When I lived in Taxylvaniastan, I bought my first Corvette (after wanting one for 20+ years ) at age 40, figuring my bracket-racing days were behind me, and I did the 'next-logical' thing, I joined the local Corvette Club, with a membership stated at almost 600:
I found an almost high school-ish clique of people, and although I wasn't an 'active'-member, I paid my dues, and participated in some events.

In '04, this Club had access to an exclusive weekend at Dale Earnhardt Inc., in North Carolina, open to 60 Club-members:
after much consideration, I submitted a request to be included in this event, knowing I'd probably been too-late to secure a position, but asked to be put on the 'waiting'-list, in-case somebody cancelled, as the event was still 6 months away.....

I received no confirmation of my request, so I re-sumbitted another, as-well-as sending an E-mail to the Club's Activities Dircetor (whom I'd never met ), asking to be kept in-mind:
the next month, STILL without confirmation, I re-re-submitted my request, and sent ANOTHER E-mail, and this time, I left a phone message for the Activities Director.....

This went on for several months, me sending a request, the Activities Director never contacting me to confirm he'd received it, and the Club's tour of DEI came-and-went.....

2 months later, I am sitting at a Corvette Show, hosted by another Club, and a total stranger walks up to me as I sat in-front of my '82, asking if I belonged to a Corvette Club:
I said that I had belonged to a Club, but would let my membership expire that year because I thought the Club didn't treat it's members very-well.....

The stranger asked my impressions of a particular Club, by-chance the Club I'd belonged-to:
thinking he too was a new Corvette-owner, looking to join a Club, I figured I'd save him the aggravation of joining such a Club, I told him of my attempts to tour the facilities at DEI, and how 'my' Club had treated (or mistreated? ) me, and how the Activities Director of said Club was so-rude, he wouldn't even return my many E-mails or phone calls.....

Finally, in-disgust, the stranger lowered his head, and walked away.....

A few minutes later, a friend of mine, who'd also experienced similar problems with 'our' Club, asked "So what was the Activities Director of OUR Club talking about with you?"

I'd had no-idea of just 'who' he was, and he had probably never been spoken-to like that by a Club-member, but the truth hurts!