View Single Post
Unread 12-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah man, I hear that!

Once you change one variable in the equation, the others go out of balance and need to be tweaked as well. Bigger air intake means bigger exhaust, bigger injectors, and tuning to bring it all back together. Then more power means you start finding the weak link in the drivetrain chain a lot easier.

If this is a car that is more hobby than primary transportation, well, then you can afford to tinker with it and make mods as they strike your fancy and don't damage your financial status. You can afford to have it laid up for months on end, if need be.

Had I known what I know now concerning my C5Z, I would have attempted most of the mods myself, since it is pretty darn obvious that I couldn't have done worse than some of the people I paid to do that work for me. And I sure wouldn't have done some things the way they did them. But live and learn.

But your point about repair and replacement parts being readily available in the foreseeable future is certainly a concern. Electronic modules, especially. There are some things that just may become unavailable, no matter what, in the future on these cars that are 20+ years old. Was one thing with the older cars that didn't have all the electronics and relied more on mechanical operations, but unless there are people ramping up with after market replacements, it could be that when something breaks, even something as minor as some obscure sensor, the game is over for that car unless you do some MAJOR fabrication work to get around it. Believe me, this preys on my mind as well.