• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

3.90 or 4.10 with mn6 anyone have this combo?

TwistedFun

I am wanting to put a 3.90 or 4.10 DTE gear in my car after this summer is over. I have heard good about both. Does anyone here know of someone that has done this mod in the central florida area? i would like to ride in a car that has had this done before i do it. If anyone can help please let me know.

Not sure it is relevant to this discussion but many moons ago I put a 4.10 rear in my GTO. I would think with the tranny gearing in the vette, you won't ever need to use first and second gear. :)

With the standard 3.42 gearing in the Z06 (I think that is what it is), I have started off from a dead stop in third gear accidentally and barely noticed the engine lagging...... :shrug01:

yea, i too have the 3.42 in my frc and have done the oops i am in 3rd gear when starting off at a light. with just a little more gas it will go. from the posts i have read about the 3.90 or 4.11 gear change in the MN6 cars, it seems to be the best bang for the buck. i read somewhere that it translates into the equivelant of adding 70hp to the car on the sotp dyno. also, from what i am reading most of the people that have done it say this is the gearing that the ls1 mn6 should have come with. i would just like to see one in person to see for myself before i drop the cash for it. i figured i would just ask around on this site since it is a florida based site, you never know who you might find. so far this looks like a good site and the members seem to be a good group of people. as for the 4.11 in the goat, i bet that was a fun ride, i always did like those cars.

Yeah, my goat was a '66, and I did about everything you could do to a car on that thing. Luckily my dad owned a service station so I had free access to a lift and help from the mechanics there tolerating the dumb bosses kid. I still remember sitting in one of the bays scrubbing out my engine compartment because my motor was all in pieces as I rebuilt it.

I learned a lot back in those days. Like NEVER trust a parts department. Ever. I got oversized crank bearings sent to me by mistake and didn't know about making sure the crank would turn BEFORE putting everything all together again. :eek: Or how just because you can SEE the bolts for the headers doesn't mean you can ever get a tool in there to turn them. At least not more then 1/8th turn at a time. Or how when people say that 400 heads SHOULD work on a 389 pontiac, doesn't mean that they 100 percent will. :banghead:

Not everything I learned is what I WISHED I had learned.......

As for the gears, yeah, it made quite a difference. In first gear it was difficult to NOT burn rubber. But I also remember that back in those days when gasoline was maybe 40 cents per gallon, I was spending $5.00 per DAY just getting back and forth to work. And work was not more then 10 miles or so away. I would NOT want that car back today at all because it would take me broke just driving it!

I am still astonished to be driving my Z06 down the road and seeing it registering 33 miles to the gallon.

From what i have been told with the 3.90 or 4.10 gears the car still gets 29 to 30 mpg in 6th at 75 to 80. i also have a 75 with a nasty 383 and you can see the gas guage move as fast as the speedo. it is hiding in the garage from the gas pump right now.

I have 4:09 in my ZR-1. Unless you want to drag your car stay with the 3:42 gear. I would switch back in a heart beat. It is a great gear for the track. Top of third for the 1/8th mile (102mph) and top of 4th for the quarter (132mph). I would like to be able to hang 4th gear to over 150 instead of shifting at 132.

i am not sure but i think the gearing is taller in the mn6 for the c-5. this is a chart from dte for rpms in 6th gear. i have to be running at least 80 before i can even use 6th gear with the 3.42.

60 MPH: 1475 RPM
65 MPH: 1598 RPM
70 MPH: 1721 RPM
80 MPH: 1966 RPM

60 MPH: 1550 RPM
65 MPH: 1680 RPM
70 MPH: 1809 RPM
80 MPH: 2067 RPM

Back