The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Overdue oil change

So I took out the vette the other day and happened to think I should check to see when I need to change the oil and filter on it. Seems like it has been a while, but heck, with this COVID crap, I feel like everything has been in stasis for a good year and a half now.

So let's see, looks like I last changed the oil just over 500 miles ago. And the date... hmm .... well, the date of that last oil change was 11-11-2019.

Yeah, it is DUE! So today I pulled the vette into the garage bay with the lift and put it up in the air. When I took the oil pan plug out, the oil only looked slightly darker than brand new oil. I used Amsoil the last time I changed the oil, and it pretty much looked like new coming out. You have to wonder just what is the absolute limit in TIME in the crankcase for advanced synthetic motor oils of today to degrade appreciably.

But in any event, I changed the oil and filter. It is rather surprising how relaxing just doing something like a simple oil change on a vehicle can be. Been a while since I inspected underneath the car, and I was in no hurry, so it was actually an enjoyable day doing that stuff. But to be honest, I do feel like I was being wasteful pulling out oil that looked so good to be discarded. Oh yeah, I checked the display and it showed that I still had 94% life in that current oil I had just dumped from the oil pan. Maybe it is correct.

BTW, the thought sometimes crosses my mind that I should sell the car since I really don't drive it all that much. But when I took it out for a spin, I felt that I should REALLY test the turbos to make sure they can still provide some boost for the engine. Yup! They sure can! And that sure change my mind about having any thoughts about selling that car too!
Unread 07-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

You could have left it another year and not hurt a thing,Just make sure you warm it up good every time you start it! I haven't changed mine since 2/2016 and it has 91% and less than 1800 miles! When I do start it I drive it at least 15-25 miles and warm it up good.
Unread 07-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Rich Z

Yeah, in hindsight I guess I could have just changed the oil filter and called it a day. Push come to shove, I guess I just feel better putting fresh "blood" in the engines.

But heck, whenever I buy oil, I tend to buy a lot of it at one time sitting around here. I've had that Joe Gibbs LS30 oil (that I have been using in the vette most of the time) in the cabinet for a while now. Still have another oil change there, and I have cases of the Schaeffer's Oil sitting on the floor that I bought a while back. I am thinking that eventually I will be using Schaeffer's exclusively unless that gets harder to buy. I had to contact a company rep and had to buy several cases to get free shipping and a decent price break. But with four vehicles in the garage, and if I do the oil changes more regularly, no big deal buying in bulk.

Heck, I believe I have already done four oil changes in the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it only has about 5,000 miles on it. Did my first tire rotation just recently on it.
Unread 01-01-2024, 06:11 PM   #4
Rich Z

Well, with everything going on in my life recently, I let the oil change slide way too long again. Plus a hydraulic hose burst on the BendPak car lift a while back, and only recently got around to ordering all new hoses and having a friend come over to help me replace them.

Good thing I ordered all three hoses, as all of them had the rubber coating literally just flake off of the hoses while they were being pulled out of the lift.

Finally got enough initiative to get the oil and filter change done this past Saturday. Oil still looked real good, though.

I think I have enough of the Joe Gibbs LS30 oil left to do one more oil change using it. Then I will be using Schaeffer's brand oil. Been using that in the other vehicles for a while now. I'll probably need to order a few more cases soon, as I only have enough for two more oil changes with what I have left from the last batch I ordered.

Been a while since I had been underneath the vette while on the lift. Everything looked OK, but it sure needs a good cleaning underneath there. But didn't much feel like doing that this time. Haven't had much wind in my sails lately...........