The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 07-11-2023, 11:33 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Well, I guess I have caught redneckitis....

Been living in Wakulla county for too long, I suppose. Used to be I would drool over Corvettes and other fast cars. You know, NORMAL stuff for a guy who thinks he is younger than the number of candles on a birthday cake would prove otherwise. But now, lately, I have been looking at tractors.

That's right folks. WebSlave has gone full red neck.

Heck, I am even thinking hard about buying one.

But let me explain what happened to change me.

The other day I wanted to move a concrete bird bath across the yard. Our old metal one finally, and suddenly, bit the dust. So we have this concrete one that has been next to the old reptile building nearly forever. It was leaning to one side, so wouldn't really hold water very well. So I figured, heck, why not just replace that broken one with that old concrete one?

First thing I did was to straighten it up and make sure it would hold water. Yep. So far, so good. The bowl came off, and it by itself was pretty heavy. At least for this aging feeble body of mine. I brought one of the wagons over and figured I would just lift the base up, put it on the wagon and roll it over to the spot it needs to relocate to. Eh?? Not so fast Herc. I couldn't even lift it off of the ground, much less the foot or so to go onto that wagon. Connie is away, so I couldn't ask her for help. Actually, probably best I not do that anyway, as I sure wouldn't want her to hurt herself. And she sure as heck would, trying to keep ME from being hurt. She still worries about that heart attack I had last year. And it's not been quite a year since that second heart stent was put in. The stuff she has gone through has really weakened her, so I CAN'T put her in jeopardy of hurting herself.

So what to do?

Now, I have an engine hoist in the garage, but with the small metal wheels on it, it wouldn't get more than a foot once it came off of the concrete garage apron and hit that soft sand. Then I would have to figure out how to get that thing out from being stuck in the sand and back onto hard surface. I would need some sort of big balloon tires on it, but that might be it's own world of problems trying to lift something heavy with those kinds of bouncy wheels on it.

So that got me thinking, I am getting too old to be lifting crap like this. And it will probably get worse, rather than better. So I thought of my friend Rickey, who has a small tractor, and uses it a LOT to help lift and move things around for him. Hmm. Well, can't say I ever thought twice about a tractor before, but suddenly I was thinking hard about one. Connie and I together might never be able to lift the kind of stuff we used to in the past. Sometimes I will have to cut down some trees, and the number of very small pieces I would have to cut that tree into so we could lift them and cart them away, well, that would really wear us out quickly. This past year really changed us. For that matter, it is still touch and go as to whether I will still have Connie around at all for any kind of help for the long term. Four hands have always been better to two, and it is quite sobering to think there might ONLY be two hands in the future.

So there you have it. I just need to be thinking about a helping hand around here, and a tractor might be that help I can see myself needing.

Never, ever pictured myself riding a tractor before.

But probably better than waiting for some sort of AI robot to come along that would crush my skull in my sleep when it went rogue on me from buggy programming.

I just hope that if I do get one (tractor that is, not a robot), that I will be able to find enough things to do with it to justify the cost and the upkeep it will need over time. But one thing of interest. I have watched a lot of videos by people who have gotten tractors, and the general consensus from those people is that they don't know how they ever got along without one before. Of course, they are mostly farmer folk or people doing a lot of work in rather sizeable tracts of land. But heck, I have 50 acres, most of it heavily wooded, and I would like to cut some walking trails through it. So who knows? Maybe it is something I would find a lot more uses for than I can imagine right now.

I think I can afford one. When my mom passed away, she left me a little bit of money that I haven't done anything with. Maybe it would please her to have me use it on something that might save me from my final heart attack some day.
Unread 07-14-2023, 08:27 AM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I went and saw my brother last weekend and he had just gotten one of these delivered.

https://badboymowers.com/tractors/ba...d-size-tractor

I don't know the model number or what it cost but it had the enclosed cab with A/C and the Grapple attachment on the front. He already had an old Massey Ferguson with a loader that was very handy on the farm (113 acres) and this one looks even more capable.
Unread 07-14-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
Rich Z

Look like nice tractors, but there doesn't appear to be a dealer anywhere within a two hour drive for me.

That is one of the hangups I am having with that Summit brand tractor. NO dealerships to do repairs anywhere nearby. Home Depot is selling it, but they sure aren't going to be carrying spare parts, much less have anyone who knows anything at all about repairing anything under warranty.

There is a Kubota dealer nearby that I might check out sometime.

But honestly I am not 100% sold on the idea of even buying a tractor. Cost of implements for these tractors is pretty high for just about all of them. Then there are compatibility issues. Some will say their rear mounting implement will "probably" work, but you might have to trim down the PTO shaft a couple of inches. Yeah, right. Like anyone can do that like slicing a salami.

Just trying to be careful I don't buy just another big headache. Might be best to just consider I have reached the point in life where some things just won't be able to be done if it NEEDS a tractor to do it.
Unread 07-15-2023, 11:46 AM   #4
85vette

Name :

Hey, go for it!

https://www.walb.com/2023/07/12/woma...97th-birthday/
Unread 07-16-2023, 12:36 AM   #5
Rich Z

Well, funny you should mention that. My 73rd birthday will be on Friday of this week.

But I won't be able to buy anything for a little while. The credit cards got maxed out from the bills for Connie's trip down to Tijuana for her cancer treatment. So I would have to take a rain check on that birthday.
Unread 07-16-2023, 11:45 AM   #6
85vette

Name :

Well an early Happy Birthday to you! I hope Connie is improving. This getting older stuff isn't for Sissy's is it?!

Just found out a former deputy that I worked with at the sheriff's office has been diagnosed with ALS. Our boys played baseball together on the all stars traveling team. He was their coach. And he's at least 10 years younger than I am!

His outlook isn't good at all. Life expectancy is usually 2-5 years. This is weighing pretty heavy on me. What do you say to someone like that?

Take life one day at a time and tell the ones you love how important they are to you I guess. I think we all should do that, for we never know when our time will come.
Unread 07-16-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
Rich Z

Sorry to hear about your friend. I guess the older we get, the more often we get news like that.

Bad news is all around us.

Few people ever really think about their vows taken during marriage and what the phrase "till death do us part" REALLY means about an inevitable future.
Unread 07-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #8
Rich Z

Drove down to Crystal River yesterday. On the way back stopped in a couple of tractor dealerships. One of which was John Deere. Seriously, who thought up the color combination? Bright green tractors with bright yellow wheels and seat?

Made my eyes hurt just to look at them.
Unread 07-17-2023, 04:54 PM   #9
85vette

Name :

They're quite proud of that John Deere green and yellow. Especially at the cash register! They do make a quality product though. My brother has 3 or 4 zero turn mowers. One is electric, the others are the 997 diesel mowers. He's gotten good service from them and they leave a very clean cut. I

haven't heard any complaints on JD tractors either. Other than the price maybe, but I don't think the competition is giving theirs away either.
Unread 07-18-2023, 12:59 AM   #10
Rich Z

In case some of you haven't guessed this, I am focusing on this tractor idea as a way to keep my mind off of other things going on. I don't know if I will really buy one or not, but pretending that I might helps to keep my mind from galloping off into directions I really don't want it to be going. It sure beats all to hell what reading about cancer every night does to my mind and my soul.

Rickey has a Kioti tractor that he has brought over to our property several times to help us out with things. He told me that it is therapeutic to drive his tractor around and just, as he says it "knock over crap" with it. He has been divorced for a number of years and lives alone. Maybe it is something that he needs, and perhaps I need to be thinking that perhaps I will need it too in the future. But I think I would need a REALLY BIG tractor..........
Attached Images